New BBC Sport Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
A year ago it was the old homepage. It is the new homepage which requires both vertical and horizontal scrolling that it is under discussion. It's a horror.

Horizontal scrolling? You still using a 14" 800 x 600 monitor?!

Horizontal scrolling? You still using a 14" 800 x 600 monitor?!

This is scrolling of the content rather than scrolling of the window itself. It's the same whether viewed on my 1600x900 desktop monitor or my trusty 1024x768 netbook.

I'm surprised you didn't check it out before seeking to mock.

I like the homepage. The sports is a bit Brighton for my taste.

Can't really believe it got into the wild to be honest. Particularly at a large organization like the beeb where I'd imagine resources aren't an issue.

This is scrolling of the content rather than scrolling of the window itself. It's the same whether viewed on my 1600x900 desktop monitor or my trusty 1024x768 netbook.

Can you give me a URL? I've just tried several links to the content and haven't found one yet that cause horizontal scrolling.

I'm surprised you didn't check it out before seeking to mock.

Are you? Really? :icon_wink

Can you give me a URL? I've just tried several links to the content and haven't found one yet that cause horizontal scrolling

http://bbc.co.uk/

It doesn't cause horizontal scrolling in the way you're thinking, it's designed to work like that. You have to click on the arrows to make the content scroll. As Boc said, it's the scrolling of the content, not the browser window itself.

Last edited:
It doesn't cause horizontal scrolling in the way you're thinking, it's designed to work like that. You have to click on the arrows to make the content scroll. As Boc said, it's the scrolling of the content, not the browser window itself.

Ah, sorry, my bad.

Can't see a problem with it myself. Anybody who has ever used a smart phone will be used to that sort of thing anyway!

The sideways scrolling thing on the BBC home page.
I'd rather have a list of headlines than have to scroll to see what they are.

It's a fairly common element, has been for several years as I'm sure you're aware, and it isn't designed specifically for either tablets or full screens.

It's a strange one this. I looked at it when the thread was started, from my PC and thought it was the most hideous website I'd ever seen. Just had another look now from the iPad and it looks very smart. Not sure optimising sites for tablet use is a good thing, especially when it's so easy to identify tablets and push people to a different version of the same site.

It's a strange one this. I looked at it when the thread was started, from my PC and thought it was the most hideous website I'd ever seen. Just had another look now from the iPad and it looks very smart. Not sure optimising sites for tablet use is a good thing, especially when it's so easy to identify tablets and push people to a different version of the same site.

Yeah, but building and maintaining a mobile or tablet site and a desktop site is a big strain on resources. Reactive design is the answer in the long run...one website that adjusts elements based on user and hardware.

As for whether it is specifically designed for tablet. I'm sure they have taken some steps. I would be surprised, for example, if there was any flash anywhere. And it looks like the navigation has been mobile optimized too.

Not to say its a success, just some observations.

Last edited:
Yup, extremely common

Yeah. It's often accompanied by a headline stack.

Set of splash images, headline stack to the right. I think it's the headlines that Boc is missing.

We've had similar discussions here about that. You'll see we use kind of a shorthand headline stack. Some people hate it and some love it.

One of the really annoying things is that the videos on the page (e.g. the live text updates during games) play automatically on loading. And they're not even particularly relevant to the page.

I don't care what Rio Ferdinand has to say about not wanting to be England captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00