New Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorset Fox

It's a bit of a 'Joe Fox' type question, but i'd be interested in peoples opinions on here.

I'm starting a new job in a months time which involves an approx 140 mile round trip everyday. I'm used to cycling to work and haven't owned a car for about 5 years now. Obviously it's a little too far to cycle, so i going to have to get a car.

I'm looking to spend about £3000 and want something which is economical, reliable, comfortable and won't require a remortgage if it goes wrong.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
It's a bit of a 'Joe Fox' type question, but i'd be interested in peoples opinions on here.

I'm starting a new job in a months time which involves an approx 140 mile round trip everyday. I'm used to cycling to work and haven't owned a car for about 5 years now. Obviously it's a little too far to cycle, so i going to have to get a car.

I'm looking to spend about £3000 and want something which is economical, reliable, comfortable and won't require a remortgage if it goes wrong.

Any ideas?

Focus diesel, any german diesel. But as Drew pointed out 35K per year is about double the average miles for non-business driving.

I guess i'm going to have spend a bit more then - haven't really got much of a clue when it comes to cars!

Why don't you buy a new or newish one on Credit and then you can change it every couple of years to a newer one.I know its like renting but at least you will get something reliable.Thats what the Ex did/does

Any ideas?

Nearly 35k PA commuting in a 3k car, good luck with that.

Focus diesel, any german diesel. But as Drew pointed out 35K per year is about double the average miles for non-business driving.

If you can try and spend more on a car you'll have less problem's in the long run doing that amount of millage PA

If you can try and spend more on a car you'll have less problem's in the long run doing that amount of millage PA

But Dorset appears to have sweet FA so maybe he should just FO on the train or bus QED

Last edited:
At a generous average of two hours a day on the road, 5 days a week, approx 45 weeks a year that's about 19 days a year lost to travelling. Get something comfy like a VW Golf or better still a Passat.

I'm starting a new job in a months time which involves an approx 140 mile round trip everyday. I'm used to cycling to work and haven't owned a car for about 5 years now.

If you haven't had a car for a long time maybe you don't know how much petrol costs these days....

You'll be doing well if you spend less than £100 a week on petrol.

Any ideas?

yeah worry about the MPG at those distances!

a 65 mpg Peugeot 206 is 9k new

http://car.choozer.co.uk/cardetail.php?id=777

140 miles/day * 5 day/week * 47 week/year = 32,900 miles/year

assuming say 45 MPG:-

32,900 miles/year / 45 Miles/Gallon = 731 Gallons/Year

Pertol is what? 5.369 £/Gallon

731 Gallons/Year * 5.369 £/Gallon = 3924 £/Annum

this is of course net of income tax, so assuming you earn over £35k and are in the 40% bracket, that is the equivalent to £6541 wages

hope you got at least a 7k rise then Dorset :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566