New Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

KempsonFox

Sorry, once again looking for advice!!

I should be buying my first car soon (previously insured on my mums)

My budget will be around 3k and would like a couple of tips on what people would recommend and more importantly where to buy from. If any one could recommend somewhere to go to look in Leicester that would be great.

Based purely on looks and no actual knowledge I like the look of VW Golf, that type of thing.

I'm not sure how old you are KF, but for a first car you may well be directed by the cost of insurance, rather than the car you want.

Get a recent copy of "parkers" car prices. Browse through it, see what may be in your price range. Then phone a few insurance places up for quotes.

As regards buying the car, a person with some mechanical knowledge would be useful if buying privately. However, for a first car, and if you're looking on your own, a dealer may cost more but you have some guarantee.
Golf's are a good car, so is it's smaller sister the polo, and she's generally cheaper.

Do people still do that when it's easier to use a site like comparethemarket?

You've been got at by those infuriating bloody TV adverts. Compare the bleeding market indeed. Tosh. Fancy falling for crappy claims on an annoying advert.

Go Compare everytime for me :icon_wink

Sorry, once again looking for advice!!

I should be buying my first car soon (previously insured on my mums)

My budget will be around 3k and would like a couple of tips on what people would recommend and more importantly where to buy from. If any one could recommend somewhere to go to look in Leicester that would be great.

Based purely on looks and no actual knowledge I like the look of VW Golf, that type of thing.

Be careful with older VW's they can be prone to breakdowns and electrical faults. Don't touch a FIAT either.
Peugeot 206's are popular first cars for young motorists, i am not sure why but i wouldn't touch a French, new or old.

Astra's and Fiestas tend to make good first cars as they are hard working, go forever and cheap to fix if they do go wrong.

Be careful with older VW's they can be prone to breakdowns and electrical faults. Don't touch a FIAT either.
Peugeot 206's are popular first cars for young motorists, i am not sure why but i wouldn't touch a French, new or old.

Astra's and Fiestas tend to make good first cars as they are hard working, go forever and cheap to fix if they do go wrong.

I'll second that about FIAT's - awful cars. Peugeots are prone to electrical problems and dont like the damp weather (mine used to cut out regularly).

I'll second that about FIAT's - awful cars. Peugeots are prone to electrical problems and dont like the damp weather (mine used to cut out regularly).

I had one that broke down in Nottingham city centre at major junction one Saturday morning, dreadful moment, one of my worst driving experiences - no ****er came to help of course. Sweet engines but terrible electrics, as with most italian cars.

Stay away from anything Italian and French for sure. You after anything big or small? 3 or 5 door?

Ha ha, im in the process of buying my fifth Fiat. Brilliant cars that everyone slates, hence they are cheap, cheap, cheap!!

Ha ha, im in the process of buying my fifth Fiat. Brilliant cars that everyone slates, hence they are cheap, cheap, cheap!!

We've got two Citroens. Buy them cheap, run the for miles and throw them away. We've had nine of them over the years.

I got a cheap 106 for my first.

Ran well for about a year, then went straight down hill (not literally).

If you've got that much, i would probably go for a Focus (or something Similar). Practical, reliable, etc etc.

i bet they are going quick to..............

Do I need to show my driving licence when buying a car from a garage? I'm just about to send it off to get the address changed on it, though hopefully should be getting a car later this week.

No but the DVLA will need to be aware of the change in address because of the Registration of Ownership document (although I am 90% sure you have to write your address on this anyway before the 'seller' sends off the document - if this is the case, the first part of this post is utter bollocks).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670