New ex-players (and managers) thread

The vaccine doesn't stop you from contracting the virus, it prevents you from having the worst symptoms (which is why it's silly that people seem to think distribution of the vaccine means we can just pretend the virus no longer exists).
I can attest to this.

I had my second jab in June and have been fit and well for 18 months. Tested positive (offically) yesterday for the first time.

Doesn’t stop the spread of the virus but certainly slows it.
It certainly seems like it minimises transmission. Before testing positive I’d seen quite a few people in the days immediately before. Not a single one has tested positive.
Which is obviously good news

Peter Taylor appointed manager at Welling Utd

I've been to their ground for a match before. The local name for it at the time was the San Siro (after a car showroom over the road, or something like that), so I still count that as me having been to two grounds with the same nickname.

I sometimes wondered if he was doing it on purpose. I mean, Callum Davidson, Trevor Benjamin, Simon Royce. Lee — for ****’s sake — Marshall. The opening day 0-5 against newly-promoted Bolton ****ing Wanderers. Wycombe’s Teletext goal. Things that simply wouldn’t happen with a real football manager doing his best.

Taylor ran past me once on Saffron Lane. Looked like he’d been going for absolutely hours, he was dark red and dripping with sweat. I was actually pleased to see in person that he could put some effort into something.

Still, fair ****s to the bloke. He’s gone around the world several times over doing football shit. I’d swap.

I sometimes wondered if he was doing it on purpose. I mean, Callum Davidson, Trevor Benjamin, Simon Royce. Lee — for ****’s sake — Marshall. The opening day 0-5 against newly-promoted Bolton ****ing Wanderers. Wycombe’s Teletext goal. Things that simply wouldn’t happen with a real football manager doing his best.

Taylor ran past me once on Saffron Lane. Looked like he’d been going for absolutely hours, he was dark red and dripping with sweat. I was actually pleased to see in person that he could put some effort into something.

Still, fair ****s to the bloke. He’s gone around the world several times over doing football shit. I’d swap.
You should've tripped the ****.

Just a catastrophic set of signings.

He signed Wise too, didn’t he?

Junior Lewis. Akinbiyi.

Treated Walsh dreadfully. Elliott too, eventually.

Just a catastrophic set of signings.

He signed Wise too, didn’t he?

Junior Lewis. Akinbiyi.

Treated Walsh dreadfully. Elliott too, eventually.
It’s less difficult to understand why someone could have thought Wise might work out. Same with Ian Walker, not such a bad signing on paper. Even Akinbiyi to a point (though I’m convinced his problem was mostly psychological rather than one of quality, and recruiters should do their homework).

The ones I don’t get are those who had shown nothing like Premier League quality in their careers. Rowett you could maybe argue for, he’d been a regular in a mid-table Derby side before spending two years back in the First Division. But who ever thought Richard Cresswell was Premier League standard? Certainly nobody who’d seen him play football.

It’s less difficult to understand why someone could have thought Wise might work out. Same with Ian Walker, not such a bad signing on paper. Even Akinbiyi to a point (though I’m convinced his problem was mostly psychological rather than one of quality, and recruiters should do their homework).

The ones I don’t get are those who had shown nothing like Premier League quality in their careers. Rowett you could maybe argue for, he’d been a regular in a mid-table Derby side before spending two years back in the First Division. But who ever thought Richard Cresswell was Premier League standard? Certainly nobody who’d seen him play football.

If I remember correctly, his initial transfer policy was to sign half the England U21s but none of them wanted to come. For example, he wanted Paul Robinson but ended up signing Simon Royce.

He simultaneously ditched senior pros like Walsh, Cottee, Marshall. His idiocy was most obvious in selling Lennon who we all knew we couldn't afford to lose and spend most of the proceeds on Matty Jones. Criminal behaviour.

It was a total shit show wasting £20m which MON had diligently accumulated and it fecked us for the next decade.

Twatlor heads my worst ever City manager list. Nobody really comes close in terms of destroy and exit. I wish him nothing but professional ill fortune.

I agree with all of this except I think it's harsh on Ian Walker. I don't think he was a bad signing full stop, not just on paper.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854