New ex-players (and managers) thread

I was at the City Ground that day with my uncle :( He lived in Nottingham and had bought tickets. I only remember because I'd arranged to go to Fulham with a cousin having forgotten about the prior engagement with my uncle... had to phone my cousin back and cancel out.

Beats Sav's story.

Last edited:
Ah, but I've not mentioned my aunt's involvement. My story involves 4 different family members and.a number of phone calls. What's Sav's? Single phone call and his Nan. Reckon I win.
Did they have phones back then?

What a week in Europe for our former defenders... Maguire, Chilwell and Fofana.

£200m received for that lot.
All three would improve our current defence. We cashed in but are a lot weaker for it.

Yeah, they really wanted to stay, didn't they!
No and that wasn’t my point. But I can’t join in the mocking of them for having a bad game in Europe given the disaster we currently are.

I'm behind that goal in possession of a full head of hair, all my teeth & full mobility. happy days indeed.

It was a lovely day too. mild & sunny. I was impressed by the homely feel of the Cottage as a ground.

I imagine it's changed a bit. I'd certainly be surprised if you could still go to the bogs in the away end & stand looking over a neck high wall into people's gardens seperated by only a small embankment & a chain link fence.

There was a family having a picnic lunch in one of the gardens. One of our lot climbed over the wall, down the embankment & over the fence. Went & said hello. Came back wth a ****ing sandwich they gave him.

All a bit bizarre.

When we went up the stairs into the stand we could see we'd taken over 2 whole sides of the ground. Was almost like a home game. Must have taken 5 to 6 thousand at a guess.

Nice walk back to the tube past the tennis courts in the evening sunshine too. A bit surreal to be honest. More civilised than any other away trip I can remember.

Certainly more so than my next London away trip. ****ing Millwall. Talk about the sublime to the ridiculous. From sandwiches on the lawn to having bricks chucked at you by 9 year olds.

Millwall away at the old Den was utterly mental
Used to live near the old den in the 80s. Before an evening game the police would form up the commuters and March us out in a column from the station, separated from the “fans” by a chain link fence. By contrast, one of my sons went to school in the new Den for a few months as part of the club’s community outreach

I'm behind that goal in possession of a full head of hair, all my teeth & full mobility. happy days indeed.

It was a lovely day too. mild & sunny. I was impressed by the homely feel of the Cottage as a ground.

I imagine it's changed a bit. I'd certainly be surprised if you could still go to the bogs in the away end & stand looking over a neck high wall into people's gardens seperated by only a small embankment & a chain link fence.

There was a family having a picnic lunch in one of the gardens. One of our lot climbed over the wall, down the embankment & over the fence. Went & said hello. Came back wth a ****ing sandwich they gave him.

All a bit bizarre.

When we went up the stairs into the stand we could see we'd taken over 2 whole sides of the ground. Was almost like a home game. Must have taken 5 to 6 thousand at a guess.

Nice walk back to the tube past the tennis courts in the evening sunshine too. A bit surreal to be honest. More civilised than any other away trip I can remember.

Certainly more so than my next London away trip. ****ing Millwall. Talk about the sublime to the ridiculous. From sandwiches on the lawn to having bricks chucked at you by 9 year olds.

I was behind the goal too, right in line with Wilson when he hit that shot. There were a couple of blokes standing next to me who were Chelsea supporters and as they were away that day they'd gone the Cottage. Part way through the first half one turned to the other and said, Leicester are pretty good aren't they?, they're playing like the home team.

Always like going to Fulham, nice homely ground, nice walk through the park to get there. Have a soft spot for it as it's where I say my first Leicester game in the flesh, January 1968, 1-0 away win, Mike Stringfellow with the goal.

My friends went down on the coaches.
I was riding up from Portsmouth on my motorbike.
Got there in about 45 minutes, then was trying to get in at 3pm like quite a few others.

Don't know how, but I found my mates [pre mobile phones, youngsters!] amongst 10, 000!

Great atmosphere.

After the game was walking with mates back towards the coaches and my motorbike, all I could see was bricks being thrown.
thankfully bike was ok, and I could carry on my journey!

Don't think some of the coach windows were so lucky

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Ipswich4389
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263
9Middlesbro4363