New ex-players (and managers) thread

Makes you wonder what has gone on for only his name to be announced early.
Maybe he want to go on holibobs with his mate Chilly

Love how spursy he is

I think he’s clearly been told he was outside of the 26. I’m sure a few others have too. Most will have gone “fair enough, maybe there’s an injury or I force my way in”.

Maddison, though, probably had a whinge about it and Southgate has decided he’d rather have him away from the squad than effecting the morale of other players.

I agree. That’s curtains under Southgate.

The squad has to be confirmed to Uefa before the match tomorrow but it isn't publicly announced until Saturday.

If players aren't going to the tournament, what's the point in them playing in a friendly that is essentially a warm up match for the tournament?

I think it's more than fair that those who have been told they won't be in the final squad have decided they may as well go home now - I'm sure people will say footballers have it easy but they very rarely get chance to have a good solid few weeks break so why not make the most of it with family and friends?

Plus from an England point of view, we should be looking to play the players who will start the first game and not use the last friendly as chance for players who won't be in the squad to show us what they could have done - its a waste for all parties.

Maddison has been poor in the second half of the season and struggled with injuries so it's the right decision to leave him out, especially considering the abundance of talent we have in that position.

I don't think it will be the last we will see of him in an England shirt though as he will probably come back and start next season on fire imo - he'll probably enjoy himself for a few weeks, like any mid 20s lad would do, let alone one who gets paid an absolute fortune, but he will be back on form when the season starts imo, hopefully not against us though!

EDIT - Curtis Jones has also left the squad so it's not just Maddison that has thought there is no point in hanging around.

Strange one, that. Retired at 19 having never played a senior game, and has spent much of his coaching career working with Rodgers. Got a feeling this might end very badly, but good luck to him.
Very weird one. I thought they might have gone for Big Nige.

Similar situation to our drop to L1…decent sized club, been near bottom of Championship for a while, takeover going horribly wrong resulting in relegation.

Very weird one. I thought they might have gone for Big Nige.

Similar situation to our drop to L1…decent sized club, been near bottom of Championship for a while, takeover going horribly wrong resulting in relegation.
Nigel would have been a very savvy appointment there, but I think his health issues are probably ruling him out of jobs at the moment - especially Birmingham who arguably got relegated because Mobray had to step down through ill health.

Why do footballers these days refer to winning the European championship as ‘it coming home’.

1996 Euros
The opening verse of Three Lions, with the lyrics "England's gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away," encapsulates a lifetime of disappointments as an England fan.

But when the team wins, it's the chorus that you hear sung in streets, bars and pubs up and down the country: "It's coming home."

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663