New Faces...but when?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

"Levein confirmed that he was already on the lookout for new talent ahead of next season. He added: "I know what we need and I know which players are out of contract here. We are in the process of trying to build something. We have a blueprint of exactly what we are looking for - now we just have to try and find the players.
"I have got an idea on a few of them and we will be working quietly to try and bring them in - whether it be next season or over the winter period I am not sure." - LCFC.com

Very exciting isn't it! Though sadly it sounds like we will be going through a lack of stability/re-build job again. Just hope its quality and not journeymen this time.

So go on folks, who do we want, and most importantly, who will we actually get?

Sorry I've not been around, been on the P*ss in Liverpool...Just got my head back together again from the weekend :)

SilverFox said:
"Levein confirmed that he was already on the lookout for new talent ahead of next season. He added: "I know what we need and I know which players are out of contract here. We are in the process of trying to build something. We have a blueprint of exactly what we are looking for - now we just have to try and find the players.
"I have got an idea on a few of them and we will be working quietly to try and bring them in - whether it be next season or over the winter period I am not sure." - LCFC.com

Very exciting isn't it! Though sadly it sounds like we will be going through a lack of stability/re-build job again. Just hope its quality and not journeymen this time.

Sorry I've not been around, been on the P*ss in Liverpool...Just got my head back together again from the weekend :)

Isn't Stuart Taylor a new face ? :?

I think a distinct possibility will be some of the Hearts players who are out of contract in the summer.

KTFaith said:
SilverFox said:

Isn't Stuart Taylor a new face ? :?

YEs he is, but Levein made the above comments AFTER bringing in Taylor, so I assume he wasn't refering only to Taylor :wink:

SilverFox said:

It was always going to be a re-bulid job again as if a remember 12 players are out of contract in the summer. CL has said that he wants players in the 24-28 bracket, so if he can keep to that then not many journeymen, although funds will be limited, it will be interesting to see who fits the age bracket and free. As it has been said 11 players at Hearts will be out of contract so expect a few of those.

Just a thought, but Sheff Utd are linked witha 250k bid for Horsfield from WBA. I like him and he has always scored goals at this level, he could possibly a replacement for Scowcroft. IMO he has been poor so far this season and does not perform as a target man aswell as he should.

If the board could find some money for CL,just 1/4 million for instance,at least he could get one player in.Leeds seem to be in for everyone,Healy would have been a good buy for us at £250,000 IMO.Maybe if CL can ship someone out then that would free up some spends.

I've got a funny feeling that CL doesn't rate Matt Heath who would be one player that could command a fee. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but i imagine that if he could get £250k-£300k then Cl would get rid.

Who knows but its clear that he can't bring anyone in before he's sold some people.

Back to my suggestion, were to get a striker in then scowcroft could go for around 250k, as could walker (assuming taylor stays till the end of the season), also the wages from these 2 players would free aroung 20k a week each. Thus saving around 500k each in wages by the nd of the season, any player we did sign would be on considerbaly lower wages.

Also if Tommy Wright is not going to get a look in then he should be sold for 100k or whatever. I would love him to do well but if he is not going to play us then we should get rid for his and our sakes.

Im not sure why heath is not in the team as i feel he has been our most consistent CB this year and 300k for him would be a waste.

highland fox said:
I do mean someone we'd get a fee for rather than a 'freemans'

Does anything emphasise the value of a real commitment to Academy player development and a reducing of the team's average age than the posts listed above?.

Of course the presence of a few old heads is important - providing they are "young" old heads with the enthusiasm of a Dennis Bergkamp, Ray Parlour or a Martin Keown, but generally you need the speed, the flexibility, the willingness to learn, the fitness of youth in today's game.

Our dad's army policy has left us with precious little of monetary value and it is imperative now that we do get folk in who will have value.

This further raises the question of our own Academy. We don't seem to be generating anything like the throughout of value players that, for example, Dario Grady does at Crewe.

That's either because we're selecting the wrong players, developing them badly or, most likely because, unlike Crewe who do blood their youngsters in the first team environment because they've little alternative, we are forever overlooking them for the overpaid journeymen who have so stifled our club in recent months.

If I were Levein this is probably the next thing I'd put right. If you are going to develop young players then you've quickly got to show some faith in them. If ours aren't good enough. Be honest enough to tell em and get some better ones.

As a manager I'd be ruthless on the subject. I'd expect a minimum of two first team squad members every 12 months from the Academy. Otherwise
I'd change the coaches.

well considering we've had what, Heskey, Piper, Stewart & Heath through in the last 8 years we'd have had to fork out some compo to these sacked coaches!

I'm reminded of the ancient chinese proverb:

You can't polish a turd

Dunc said:
I'm reminded of the ancient chinese proverb:

You can't polish a turd

:D

Think Tony's point was we should'nt be signing turds, or at least not to continue polishing them and telling the fans they have a great future up to the age of 25, before finally releasing them on a free with a club record of appearances for the reserves.

Dunc said:
well considering we've had what, Heskey, Piper, Stewart & Heath through in the last 8 years we'd have had to fork out some compo to these sacked coaches!

Heskey was the financial shining light but otherwise it's a pretty damning outcome conmsidering the number of youngsters "processed".
Sounds like we need to borrow O'Grady's blueprint for youth development.

Mercury says Levein is after defenders. He is apparently unhappy with this aspect of the team. He also said that no one could come into the team until some individuals left. I wonder who has the axe over their head

Elliott probably...given that he is on £32,000 a week still, but I doubt that Heath will get the boot...hes an alright player.

At the end of the season we will look better in terms of wage bill because Benjamin, Scowcroft, Walker, and Elliott are all on big money deals...they will therefore be the first ones out, unless they are willing to take a pay cut.

I still believe we should have sold walker and kept Coyne...could have got a few players out of Walkers wages

SilverFox said:
Elliott probably...given that he is on £32,000 a week still, but I doubt that Heath will get the boot...hes an alright player.

At the end of the season we will look better in terms of wage bill because Benjamin, Scowcroft, Walker, and Elliott are all on big money deals...they will therefore be the first ones out, unless they are willing to take a pay cut.

I still believe we should have sold walker and kept Coyne...could have got a few players out of Walkers wages

You can't sell players if nobody wants them. Who is going to give Elliott and Walker the same wage that we give them? They aren't going to move to help us when their wages would be halved in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669