Post Match Newcastle 0 Leicester 0

Going for the win would have been a greater gamble.
Give it a go for the final 15-20 mins at least.

And then if we end up losing, it’s out of our hands and we’re relying on other results. As is the case now.

Give it a go for the final 15-20 mins at least.

And then if we end up losing, it’s out of our hands and we’re relying on other results. As is the case now.
Agreed. Don’t mind the game plan, we just didn’t execute the “now push for the win” bit of it until injury time.

considering the Leeds games etc - I actually think that’s a really good point. It could be very important.

Now if Leeds and Leicester win but Everton don’t, we survive. Only Everton’s result is relevant to us.
Our result against West Ham might also have a little relevance.

Also, clearly we deserve to be where we are, but we really haven’t caught much of a break this season. clearly Bruno G should have been off. Same as Sabitzer for Man U.

a relegation season is always about a combination of rank bad performances, missing penalties, and not getting the right calls at the right time.

I think Neville and Carragher did a pretty good analysis on this.

Neville said there's no way we could've gone and outplayed Newcastle. So to keep it tight and try to nick it at the end and otherwise at least get a point was a smart move.

Carragher adding that we did actually switch to a back 4 and brought on our attacking players with 30 mins to go - well within the "go for it in the second half" timeframe most of us would say is right. But going for it relies on being able to get the ball, which we weren't able to do until those last 10 mins when we did really put Newcastle under pressure.

I think a fair assessment.

This is not difficult to understand.

Before the game two wins and we are safe, therefore we eek out a game plan to do that. Defend like **** for 60-70 minutes then go for it a bit more.

If we had won then we go into the final game knowing a win will maintain our status, but now we are relying on a seaside town doing us a favour.

You work out how what we did overall was a good thing.
I know maths than you but as I said before we pissed that all away with loses against Bournemouth, Southampton and getting battered by Fulham and not beating Everton. If you think we would take three points from that game and not get a hiding then you obviously know more about this team than I do

I'm not sure how to feel about that.

I have nothing but admiration for the effort, the organization and the game plan (I'd forgotten what it was like to see one of those in action). It was very good management by Dean Smith. The substitutions made sense and were at sensible times. Had Castagne scored it would have worked to a tee.

But... ultimately, it was not the result that we needed if it was to be in our hands on Sunday. And if only we'd started playing like that even 3 or 4 games ago we'd likely be safe or at least in a better position.

I'm proud but also disappointed.

Oh and special mention for Ndidi. I'm his chief critic but he was excellent this evening.

I thought before the game that we needed a stroke of luck to have any chance.
An own goal, a deflection, an opponent red card, any ****ing thing.
And then after just 7 minutes, there it was.
An absolute stone wall red card… manor from the football god’s right there on a plate. Gift wrapped with bows on.
What happened after that was a travesty of justice of the highest possible order.
That’s not the first time that happened this season either. Sabitzer at the Man U away game after 20 minutes. Another horror tackle unpunished.
Utter utter shit show by the officials not wanting to upset the mass home support. Spineless.

Carragher adding that we did actually switch to a back and brought on our attacking players with 30 mins to go - well within the "go for it in the second half" timeframe most of us would say is right. But going for it relies on being able to get the ball, which we weren't able to do until those last 10 mins when we did really put Newcastle under pressure.

I think a fair assessment.
partly due to our inability to find a player when we had the ball, and our goalkeeper just hoofing it out of play constantly

I thought before the game that we needed a stroke of luck to have any chance.
An own goal, a deflection, an opponent red card, any ****ing thing.
And then after just 7 minutes, there it was.
An absolute stone wall red card… manor from the football god’s right there on a plate. Gift wrapped with bows on.
What happened after that was a travesty of justice of the highest possible order.
That’s not the first time that happened this season either. Sabitzer at the Man U away game after 20 minutes. Another horror tackle unpunished.
Utter utter shit show by the officials not wanting to upset the mass home support. Spineless.
A knee high stamp for good measure was more than a yellow IMO. He even left it with a twist of his foot.

Well I broke my vow never to watch another Newcastle game… Still going strong on Man City though, must be a couple of years since I saw them play so woke points for me!

Massively frustrating. Stonewall red card in the first half. In the context of the whole season, where has that hunger to defend been? In terms of the game, we needed three points and didn’t make even the slightest nod towards obtaining them until the 90th minute.

partly due to our inability to find a player when we had the ball, and our goalkeeper just hoofing it out of play constantly

Those things still would've been true - and maybe cost us the draw - if we'd gone for it any earlier.

Honestly, even if we went for it earlier and ended up taking the lead with say, 15 mins to go, does anyone actually think we would have even held on for a point, let a lone the 3??

If we scored, we would have just sat back even more and they would just bombard us for the equaliser. And then we would most likely capitulate and lose it.

The only way we got 3 points tonight was with a bit of luck and Newcastle not taking their chances and us scoring when it is almost too late to then let one in.

Game plan worked, just a shame we haven't played like this earlier instead of just trying to win 6-5.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563