Post Match Newcastle 1 Leicester 1 - won on penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Ritchie is out for two months following the challenge from Choudhury.

Bruce said today: "It's bad news - it's two months. The kid is in a mess. It could have been worse, six months, but it was one of those horror challenges. I understand that the lad has apologised".

Choudhury was booked for the challenge and taken off at half time. He has himself commented on the challenge as follows: "It was a 50/50 and he has pulled out at the last minute which has made the tackle look a lot worse. I don't know what I can say, it's what I do, I try to tackle - I've never gone in trying to hurt someone. Unfortunately, for Ritchie it has and I hope he gets better very soon. And for Steve Bruce to say - I know he was a tough-tackling defender in his day, so people are quick to forget how he played football."

There was some context to the challenge in that Ritchie had been acting the **** in the match and had narrowly missed elbowing Ricardo. However, this raises an issue about Choudhury that needs to be addressed.

Choudhury cost the England U21s with a stupid wild challenge in the summer. He's made a bit of a hallmark of flying into tackles and this is the main reason why the fans have taken to him.

Firstly, the tackle the other night was a bad one. Yes, he took the ball first but he followed through and badly hurt the player and that's not allowed any more. He was fortunate to only receive a yellow for it.

Secondly, he is often a split second or a 'last moment pull out' away from doing damage. I think that this isn't sustainable and he has to adapt his game or he'll cost us. Referees will be prepared for him now and I'd expect him to be more harshly treated by them.

Choudhury is the sort of player that wouldn't have stood out at all twenty years ago. He'd be a typical central midfielder. However, the game has changed and he can't do that nowadays. He needs to learn this lesson very quickly.

Matt Ritchie is out for two months following the challenge from Choudhury.

Bruce said today: "It's bad news - it's two months. The kid is in a mess. It could have been worse, six months, but it was one of those horror challenges. I understand that the lad has apologised".

Choudhury was booked for the challenge and taken off at half time. He has himself commented on the challenge as follows: "It was a 50/50 and he has pulled out at the last minute which has made the tackle look a lot worse. I don't know what I can say, it's what I do, I try to tackle - I've never gone in trying to hurt someone. Unfortunately, for Ritchie it has and I hope he gets better very soon. And for Steve Bruce to say - I know he was a tough-tackling defender in his day, so people are quick to forget how he played football."

There was some context to the challenge in that Ritchie had been acting the **** in the match and had narrowly missed elbowing Ricardo. However, this raises an issue about Choudhury that needs to be addressed.

Choudhury cost the England U21s with a stupid wild challenge in the summer. He's made a bit of a hallmark of flying into tackles and this is the main reason why the fans have taken to him.

Firstly, the tackle the other night was a bad one. Yes, he took the ball first but he followed through and badly hurt the player and that's not allowed any more. He was fortunate to only receive a yellow for it.

Secondly, he is often a split second or a 'last moment pull out' away from doing damage. I think that this isn't sustainable and he has to adapt his game or he'll cost us. Referees will be prepared for him now and I'd expect him to be more harshly treated by them.

Choudhury is the sort of player that wouldn't have stood out at all twenty years ago. He'd be a typical central midfielder. However, the game has changed and he can't do that nowadays. He needs to learn this lesson very quickly.

Iv'e seen very few red card challenges from Hamza, in fact other than the U21 game I cannot recall one.

Referees need to be giving the benefit of the doubt to players like Hamza and letting VAR make the decision, as watched closely his challenges are legal and effective.

Matt Ritchie should spend less time acting the **** if he's not willing to commit to his challenges, the ****ing sap.

I thought Hamza was unfortunate to get a yellow.
Ritchie lost the ball, Hamza won it, Ritchie was the late arrival, not Hamza.
Unfortunate Ritchie got hurt, but it sounded like karma, to me.

He went in low, 1 footed but hard, that’s not a foul, Ritchie getting hurt was why it was given

Still, at least Ritchie can console himself with the BAFTA that he'll get for his theatrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669