Speculation Next Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you be gratified if he left? That would imply you would like us to fail?

Unless, of course, you are hoping that he does so well that a bigger club snaps him up. Something tells me this isn't what you mean though.

I do find some people's views strange.

I will be gratified because, in my estimation, we will achieve more under another manager. I know that my posts may be a bit tedious, but surely you don't have to read too many to realise that I am not a fan of Nigel Pearson's style :icon_bigg. I accept that you, and many others, take a different view and, as you're getting your way (Nigel Pearson looks to be here for some time to come), I feel that you might be a little less confrontational.

Your statement that my being pleased were NP to leave, meaning that I want us to fail, is slightly confusing: take a look at the table - we are failing right now. Of course, the first season in the Premier League is going to be tough, but we are rock bottom and there is a very real danger that, in a couple of weeks, we will be cut off and the debate will be, "Who goes down with Leicester?"

I agree that the candidates to take over, were Mr P to depart soon, contain few names to whet the appetite, but in my estimation, a new man may just have given that temporary spark that would keep us amongst the elite. Make no mistake, if we do get relegated, returning to the top division will not be the formality that some (I do not necessarily mean you - I don't know your opinion) seem to indicate. I fear that we may spend several season back in the Championship and, were our owners to get bored, we might even "do a Portsmouth".

If that is willing us to fail, then I plead guilty as charged.

I will be gratified because, in my estimation, we will achieve more under another manager. I know that my posts may be a bit tedious, but surely you don't have to read too many to realise that I am not a fan of Nigel Pearson's style :icon_bigg. I accept that you, and many others, take a different view and, as you're getting your way (Nigel Pearson looks to be here for some time to come), I feel that you might be a little less confrontational.

Your statement that my being pleased were NP to leave, meaning that I want us to fail, is slightly confusing: take a look at the table - we are failing right now. Of course, the first season in the Premier League is going to be tough, but we are rock bottom and there is a very real danger that, in a couple of weeks, we will be cut off and the debate will be, "Who goes down with Leicester?"

I agree that the candidates to take over, were Mr P to depart soon, contain few names to whet the appetite, but in my estimation, a new man may just have given that temporary spark that would keep us amongst the elite. Make no mistake, if we do get relegated, returning to the top division will not be the formality that some (I do not necessarily mean you - I don't know your opinion) seem to indicate. I fear that we may spend several season back in the Championship and, were our owners to get bored, we might even "do a Portsmouth".

There is something about that first sentence there. Can't quite put my finger on it but there is something.

edit; could it be something about us having other managers before NP?

Last edited:

Quite honestly, I don't care.

Granted I'm not your age, but I have been watching City for over 30 years. In that time we have been mostly outside of the top division and, for one season at least, in the third tier. As far as I am concerned, we have no divine right to be in the top flight, something other people seem to disagree with, but hey, we all think differently. Yes I want us to be there, yes I want us to succeed, but is my life worse if we of don't? No. No it isn't. Success these days isn't even the same as it was a few years ago. A few years ago teams could go up and achieve things, these days success is being an established mid-table team. Whoop-de-feckin-do.

I am very grateful for the recent success NP has brought to us. There have been plenty of managers in my time frame who have brought us far less. I don't for one minute believe that there is an exact science that says if you change manager then we will do better, so I'd rather pay a bit of respect to the man that has brought us that bit of relative success and back him. The alternative may be to be a fan of a team like Forest, who chop and change every 5 months and their fans hate it (believe me, I know a lot of them). At least I feel there is a plan at the moment.

To be brutally honest, I don't give a flying feck if we go down. My life won't change. At least I will continue to enjoy watching City play, irrespective of who the manager is, with my dad, brother, friends and kids. I'll leave the worrying to others.

Quite honestly, I don't care.

Granted I'm not your age, but I have been watching City for over 30 years. In that time we have been mostly outside of the top division and, for one season at least, in the third tier. As far as I am concerned, we have no divine right to be in the top flight, something other people seem to disagree with, but hey, we all think differently. Yes I want us to be there, yes I want us to succeed, but is my life worse if we of don't? No. No it isn't. Success these days isn't even the same as it was a few years ago. A few years ago teams could go up and achieve things, these days success is being an established mid-table team. Whoop-de-feckin-do.

I am very grateful for the recent success NP has brought to us. There have been plenty of managers in my time frame who have brought us far less. I don't for one minute believe that there is an exact science that says if you change manager then we will do better, so I'd rather pay a bit of respect to the man that has brought us that bit of relative success and back him. The alternative may be to be a fan of a team like Forest, who chop and change every 5 months and their fans hate it (believe me, I know a lot of them). At least I feel there is a plan at the moment.

To be brutally honest, I don't give a flying feck if we go down. My life won't change. At least I will continue to enjoy watching City play, irrespective of who the manager is, with my dad, brother, friends and kids. I'll leave the worrying to others.

Sums up perfectly how I feel.

Not really, when you consider the manner in which BN has spoken about NP in the past regarding his character and approach, and then he says he wants Lennon because......

'He's been prepared to do unorthodox things and doesn't care about how he does it. I like this'

It's basically Pearson he's talking about, plus take into account some of the recent touchline behavior and comments from Lennon and you basically have the same manager as the one we currently have. The main difference being without the record of doing exactly what we will need to do fairly soon, perform in the Championship.

You've made some incorrect assumptions here.

If I gave a shiny shite about the 'attitude' of the manager, why would I have advocated for Tony Pulis? Pulis is a master at being pig-headed and is infamous for things like head-butting a naked player. Within reason, I only want someone who manages us well and develops us into a team that can sustain Premier League football.

I did have an issue with NP telling a fan to FOAD. Just like the FA did and even NP has said he should have dealt with that situation differently. Frankly, anyone that thinks this was acceptable is a mystery to me. I have no opinion at all on the most recent incident.

My preference for Lennon was based on a very limited list. However, I stand by it for all the reasons I gave and I don't see any inconsistency.

I have praised NP for his approach of staying in the stand and getting technical information to inform his team talks but I agree that, in current circumstances, he needs to be on the touchline and 'active' there. Given his developing reputation, I actually think that he is not 'active', emotive or angry enough. I welcomed him berating a linesman on Saturday as he is usually very docile. When he 'grins through pain', it comes across as slightly deranged rather than calm and cool.

You also infer that NP is more qualified than NL as a Championship manager. Firstly, we're not in the Championship, we're in a league where neither manager has any pedigree. Secondly, in terms of the scenario we're in, NL has just turned a team around in similar circumstances to ours. NP did similar with Southampton a few years ago. I don't see much difference there.

It's also worth stating that I haven't advocated sacking NP since mid-December.

In terms of the bigger picture, I cannot imagine that if NP stays to the end of the season and we go down, he'll be here for the new season. Even if this highly unlikely scenario were to happen, you cannot compare him in the role before this season and afterwards. It's a totally different dynamic. I can only recall us doing this twice before (with Adams and Hamilton) and both were sacked soon into the subsequent season. Also, look at the relegated teams from last season. All three have ditched the man that took them down and they started the season with. It very rarely works and would be a foolish thing to gamble on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566