Nigel Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

City Fan

Just seen this post on Foxestalk, thought it was rather good.......

What seems an age ago we were all squabbling over who ought not to be the manager, then a lot of us got bored. Eventually we were given a new bloke, a serious bloke - worse, a bloke who didn't seem to wave his shoes in the air. Hellfire and damnation!

For a shedload of people he wasn't John Gregory and that was good enough - while others seem to be concerned with his total lack of Premiership and European Cup success.

We've seen his summer signings, we've seen his pre-season knockabout and now we've sat/stood/stood then been told to sit through enough matches to have an idea of how he is playing the game.

I watched his post-match interview on World this morning and I have to say that he is a man who inspires confidence, an intelligent manager who appreciates a good game but understands and is working towards the primary goal of promotion.

I think I am almost at the point of saying that if he continues as he has started I could bloody love no-nonsense Nigel Pearson...and yet I'm hardly hearing a thing said about him in pubs, at the games or on here.

Mad Martin was having his name chanted from the off last season, being feted as our big new hope - while Holloway basked in Godlike status at matches, being the focal point of the few songs sung through the tail-end of the season.

Pearson has brought with him a mindset, a credible managerial style and inspired a work ethic in the squad that we haven't seen since I came back from South America. He believes in attacking football and castigated the team for holding back after going ahead yesterday - all good stuff. All of it delivered with quiet confidence and humility; no jokes, no nonsense.

Tranmere, one round of "Nigel, give us a wave" and then one "Nigel Pearson's Blue & White Army!" and that was it.

I think he's done more than enough so far to deserve better.

Good on ya' Nigel!

Micky

Its still very early days but I must admit I've been impressed. Holloway and Allen came in and wanted all the attention whereas Pearson has gone about the job quietly. I like his style and hope we continue to make progress.

manxfox

A very good point - but i can only think the lack of chanting and pub banter is because he has come to us relatively unknown (compaired to megson, hollowhead and allen).
He doesnt attract the media circus of hollowhead and martin allen so the Blue Mongies are not so ready to sit chanting his name for 20 mins.
So far this relatonship with the fans seems to be producing results on the field so i'm happy for it to stay as it is

four king power

You have to sing the managers name early doors at the Walkers, there is usually a different manager in charge by the next home game.

FantasyFox

Perhaps the mongies have learnt that their hysteria over the previous managers has made them look stupid and are going to wait until this bloke has given them some reason to raise him to god-like status.

Three games is no reason. Promotion and he might deserve a round of applause.

alex

Good piece of writing....

I think perhaps City fans are learning to calm down a bit when hailing the new man in charge, which isn't a bad thing really.

Having said that, from day one he has impressed me, and even the more cynical must be starting to turn....a win at Cheltenham (Fulham is a bonus, that's all) and we are setting good intentions. I wonder if a manager so infused by limelight would have been able to know about the likes of Morrison for example?

It would appear that things are for the minute looking better....

Graz

I don't really think Pearson will get a great deal of praise this season, from us or the media. He's in a tough job.

So far we've not exactly shocked anyone with our results... no matter who was in charge this season, the media, and lets face it most of us, would've expected results like those we've had and for us to gain automatic promotion this season.

We've played pretty poor teams and got decent results... but in all fairness, no more than would've been expected thus far. Not to say Pearson's not made a good start, and those pre-season expectations were probably more than they should've been... but Pearson's going to have to do a lot more to get high levels of praise, which he may well deserve.

So basically...good job so far, and pleasantly suprised... but no matter what people would've expected this kind of start.

Last edited:

rchalmers83

Pearson's in to do a job - Promotion - and once he gets that we will be able to judge him on his performance as manager next season hopefully in the championship - But I must say I am a little more impressed with the team than what I originally thought - I like the signings he has brought in and a couple of them seem like they will come good and Hobbs seems to be a good find for us as does Gilbert.

fitz

Far too early.

people were saying how great he was before the season kicked off ffs, so far so good I'll admit though. we've played 2 sides that are newly promoted from division four and saturday was the first test against a team who are league one regulars, did well but didn't look miles apart. there appears to be a team spirit which is pleasing, Nigel is a hands on manager from the touchline....whether this approach and results lasts I wait to see

From Gradel to Grave

people were saying how great he was before the season kicked off ffs, so far so good I'll admit though. we've played 2 sides that are newly promoted from division four and saturday was the first test against a team who are league one regulars, did well but didn't look miles apart. there appears to be a team spirit which is pleasing, Nigel is a hands on manager from the touchline....whether this approach and results lasts I wait to see

MK Dons have won three out of three since they played us.

From Gradel to Grave

....and your point is?

Remember last season we beat West Brom away, they went up we went down.

My point is no-one knew when we played MK what to expect and it looks like we've beaten a form team. They've won both league games since they played us and knocked Norwich out of the League Cup.

alex

....and your point is?

Remember last season we beat West Brom away, they went up we went down.

When people were suggesting that unless we stuff Tranmere then our season looks shaky, I thought back to the 4-1 Watford result of last year.....

Boy Genius

Banned
My point is no-one knew when we played MK what to expect and it looks like we've beaten a form team. They've won both league games since they played us and knocked Norwich out of the League Cup.

I could not give a fcuk about any other teams in this division as I expect us to walk it. From what we have been shown already I have no reason to change my mind.
When we played MK Dons I expected us to win.

DesertFox

When people were suggesting that unless we stuff Tranmere then our season looks shaky, I thought back to the 4-1 Watford result of last year.....
If we'd have lost or drawn against Tranmere, we'd be looking forward to four away games on the bounce (two in different cups, admittedly) whilst sitting in mid-table, League 1. I think that would have been cause for concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669