Non wearing of poppies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see that he 'owes' anybody an explanation. Wearing a poppy is not a requirement. I don't wear one because I dislike the intrusion of the fetishisation of the military, which has been apparent since the early 2000s, into my life.

I don't like the events at the ground at this time of year. I understand that people want to show respect for the fallen in various conflicts and I'm sure they have very good reasons for doing so. But I don't see how applauding a chap in a training helicopter achieves this and I find the narrative which defines them all as heroes to be distasteful. Unfortunately the poppy has come to represent all of that in my mind, being hijacked by the tabloid press for political ends.

Hmmmm. Surely this year is slightly different in that it is 100 years since the outbreak of WW1?

If people wish to commemorate the anniversary (it's certainly a worthy one) they shouldn't necessarily feel compelled to do so publicly on the basis that it's what other people think they should do.

Last edited:
If people wish to commemorate the anniversary (it's certainly a worthy one) they shouldn't necessarily feel compelled to do so publicly on the basis it's what other people think they should do.

Indeed.

If people wish to commemorate the anniversary (it's certainly a worthy one) they shouldn't necessarily feel compelled to do so publicly on the basis that it's what other people think they should do.

Bang on chap. Exactly right. The absolute requirement of everyone in any kind of public life to be seen with one for two weeks of the year has stopped me wearing one. Wearing one is a completely valid individual statement, not a national uniform. The whole thing is ruined now.

And for the record, one year that helicopter is going to breakdown on the pitch. Then it won't seem such a good idea. If the Bin Laden one broke down, the one sent to Leicester will one year.

Bang on chap. Exactly right. The absolute requirement of everyone in any kind of public life to be seen with one for two weeks of the year has stopped me wearing one. Wearing one is a completely valid individual statement, not a national uniform. The whole thing is ruined now.

And for the record, one year that helicopter is going to breakdown on the pitch. Then it won't seem such a good idea. If the Bin Laden one broke down, the one sent to Leicester will one year.

Whilst it is unlikely in the extreme I was having paranoid thoughts about something going wrong and the blades flying into the crowd. It seems extraordinary to me that the ground had long been considered not quite safe enough for musical events but flying a helicopter into a crowded arena is just fine.

:081:

I've checked with SkyBet. They don't seem to have a price for it.

Whilst it is unlikely in the extreme I was having paranoid thoughts about something going wrong and the blades flying into the crowd. It seems extraordinary to me that the ground had long been considered not quite safe enough for musical events but flying a helicopter into a crowded arena is just fine.
Sounds like a scene from Final Destination 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669