Confirmed Transfer Oakley loaned to Exeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe he made sure the mascots were sent on their way with a crate of Blue Nun.

Mmmm. Quality wine.

newalanp.jpg

Maybe basing on the fact that the first year he captained he scored 9 goals and we won the league?

Erm, are you talking about promotion from Div.III? The season where Stephen Clemence was club captain and Oakley only scored 8 goals, laying on 6 assists the entire season? The one where Oakley spent the best part of the season scuttling about silently and where the quality of the opposition was woeful in many matches but we still made a ham-fisted attempt at over-coming them?

Sorry, that doesn't work for me at all - I'll repeat the question: How was he a good captain?

Maybe it's the same reason that all four managers he's had at the club have rated him as a very important figure in the squad? But what would they know? Just a thought, like.

Maybe it's the same reason that all four managers he's had at the club have rated him as a very important figure in the squad? But what would they know? Just a thought, like.

He's not been squad captain under four managers.

Erm, are you talking about promotion from Div.III? The season where Stephen Clemence was club captain and Oakley only scored 8 goals, laying on 6 assists the entire season? The one where Oakley spent the best part of the season scuttling about silently and where the quality of the opposition was woeful in many matches but we still made a ham-fisted attempt at over-coming them?

Sorry, that doesn't work for me at all - I'll repeat the question: How was he a good captain?

My bad on a couple of attempts there- 8 goals is still not a bad return for a midfielder, which league it is in in not exactly the main thing. The squad was in disarray when we went down and although Clemence was the captain officially, realistically it was Oakly who took the reins. I know in that situation the manager has to take most of the credit for turning it round but the captain who is playing deserves some merit as well. Sven has consistently said he is a good influence around the training ground so it's probably fair to assume he had a good influence when we were in Div, 3. I wouldn't say Oakley was silent in league one, I would be more tempted to suggest that he was much louder than Andy King who of course made the other part of the midfield and just popped up occasionally to score goals.

Oakley was a good captain, just because the title was offically given to someone everyone knew we'd never see in a city shirt again doesn't necessitate him being inept.

but we still made a ham-fisted attempt at over-coming them?

Did we? Really?

I wish Matt Oakley all the best. In my humble opinion he was a good captain and a good player for us and I thank him for his contribution.

Did we? Really?

I wish Matt Oakley all the best. In my humble opinion he was a good captain and a good player for us and I thank him for his contribution.

Yes.

Repeatedly having to go in at half-time for Pearson to create some spirit for a second half come-back, rarely imposing ourselves for a full game. I take it you didn't go to many? I saw all bar two this season and never saw Oakley vocal or inspirational during matches.

He was a nice man, I don't wish him ill - but let's put a lid on this "he was a great captain" crap, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566