Confirmed Transfer Oakley loaned to Exeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sven's comment about him perhaps being needed at right back interested me. Surely if Peltier is out Pantsil is the natural replacement. I have not seen much of Pantsil (his few home appearances and away at Forest) and from what I have seen I much prefer Peltier. However, his being a current international for Ghana makes me think we have not seen the best of him. Is Sven really going to prefer Oakley to Pantsil?

Is Oakley really going to make the bench? With Weale an obvious choice for the bench (IMO) there is a case for Sven keeping his plan B there - Howard, Schlupp and Dyer. This leaves one place for a defender/midfielder. Remembering how well we did and that Wellens, Gallagher and Johnson are likely to be available soon I really would be very surprised if we see Oakley play for Leicester again.

It is interesting to speculate on what Sven's team against Birmingham will be but I am pretty sure that even if he had not gone on loan Matt Oakley would be not be close to getting on the teamsheet.

Sven's comment about him perhaps being needed at right back interested me. Surely if Peltier is out Pantsil is the natural replacement. I have not seen much of Pantsil (his few home appearances and away at Forest) and from what I have seen I much prefer Peltier. However, his being a current international for Ghana makes me think we have not seen the best of him. Is Sven really going to prefer Oakley to Pantsil?

Is Oakley really going to make the bench? With Weale an obvious choice for the bench (IMO) there is a case for Sven keeping his plan B there - Howard, Schlupp and Dyer. This leaves one place for a defender/midfielder. Remembering how well we did and that Wellens, Gallagher and Johnson are likely to be available soon I really would be very surprised if we see Oakley play for Leicester again.

It is interesting to speculate on what Sven's team against Birmingham will be but I am pretty sure that even if he had not gone on loan Matt Oakley would be not be close to getting on the teamsheet.

That seems a huge amount to read into one throw away comment.

That seems a huge amount to read into one throw away comment.

Yes.
The old exam questuion - Discuss the following quotation . . .
If I can do that with a throw-away line comment be pleased I am not writing about a full length document.

It does seem to me that having reduced the number of substitutes to five Sven has an interesting problem and the forum an interesting topic.

I don't think they are tanking...I think they are genuinely awful without Manning...if they get lucky enough to get Luck after having Peyton for the last 13 years...bastards!

I don't think you can have a back-up that can call plays like Manning can, which effectively means you're screwed when he's out.

Could Belichick's stock-piling of picks land Luck do you reckon?

i thought oakley was a very good player for us the first couple of seasons he was here; after that, his legs had clearly gone. seems like he's being a model pro throughout his time with us, as well as being a good influence around the squad.

Don't understand why people were criticising him even in his first couple of years; they really must watch a different game to the one i do. I don't know how much more you can realistically expect from a player; in our league 1 season especially he gave us goals, assists, good set-pieces, a great attitude and 100% commitment in challenges, as well as captaining us to a league win. Maybe we should have signed Xavi or Modric instead? I sometimes think that certain types of fan get the players they deserve in the Ryan Smiths/Joe Mattocks of this world.

Thanks for your efforts Matt, some of us appreciated them :038:

i thought oakley was a very good player for us the first couple of seasons he was here; after that, his legs had clearly gone. seems like he's being a model pro throughout his time with us, as well as being a good influence around the squad.

Don't understand why people were criticising him even in his first couple of years; they really must watch a different game to the one i do. I don't know how much more you can realistically expect from a player; in our league 1 season especially he gave us goals, assists, good set-pieces, a great attitude and 100% commitment in challenges, as well as captaining us to a league win. Maybe we should have signed Xavi or Modric instead? I sometimes think that certain types of fan get the players they deserve in the Ryan Smiths/Joe Mattocks of this world.

Thanks for your efforts Matt, some of us appreciated them :038:

I think people are caught up with the fact he has looked well beyond his best years for 2 championship seasons and parts of the league one stint. I'm not a fan but the way certain fans go on you'd be forgiven for thinking they were talking about Gareth Williams or Stephen ****ing Hughes.

I always felt he did a good job for us. The only 'bad' games I saw were when he was put out on the wing but was always drifting inside depriving us of any width.

He was getting on when we bought him, he always did his best and now his best isn't good enough to warrant an automatic place in the team (or indeed the squad). Good luck at Exeter MO.

Similar to Steve Howard, definitely think Oakley was a very good player for us in League One, never really did it for us in the Championship though. Still, wish him well and have a lot of time for him, don't really get people slagging off his time here but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566