Off to the smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

I'm going London tomorrow for the first time since just before the 7/7 bombings:icon_conf.
Plan is to park at Stanmore and get a day runaround ticket for the tube. Anyone know how much a days tube ticket costs:102:.
Also as i will be heading for Greenwich, is this a decent area for a drink and lunch or would it be better to go back to central London?

I'm going London tomorrow for the first time since just before the 7/7 bombings:icon_conf.
Plan is to park at Stanmore and get a day runaround ticket for the tube. Anyone know how much a days tube ticket costs:102:.
Also as i will be heading for Greenwich, is this a decent area for a drink and lunch or would it be better to go back to central London?

£6.70 for an all dayer all zones ticket. It would be cheaper with an oyster card but if you only go london every couple of years it wont be worth it.

You will find good and bad places whichever area of london you go to In my experience.

£6.70 for an all dayer all zones ticket. It would be cheaper with an oyster card but if you only go london every couple of years it wont be worth it.

You will find good and bad places whichever area of london you go to In my experience.

Cheers Fc.

£6.70 is a bargain imo:icon_bigg

Cheers Fc.

£6.70 is a bargain imo:icon_bigg

and IMO, best transport network in this country in my relatively limited experience. That ticket will get you on the buses as well if you need to travel overground.

Im sure the more local posters might have some better info about greenwich

You'll need a Zone 1 - 6 Travelcard. £7.00 but you can't start before 9:30. Almost double if you want to start earlier.

Greenwich is an ideal place for a drink and a bite to eat but don't expect it to be any cheaper than central London.

Went up to £7 in January. You can use an Oyster for only the one day, return it and get your deposit back at the end of the day - but it would only save you 50p; probably not worth the bother of it all.

I did consider asking BB if he was likely to go to London very often and suggesting the Oyster, but he specifically said that he wants to go to Greenwich. That part of London is also served by Southern Eastern Railways on which Oyster PrePay is not valid; he may want to use their services so I held my tongue on the question of Oyster.

Went up to £7 in January. You can use an Oyster for only the one day, return it and get your deposit back at the end of the day - but it would only save you 50p; probably not worth the bother of it all.

I did consider asking BB if he was likely to go to London very often and suggesting the Oyster, but he specifically said that he wants to go to Greenwich. That part of London is also served by Southern Eastern Railways on which Oyster PrePay is not valid; he may want to use their services so I held my tongue on the question of Oyster.

£7 is still not bad, didnt realise it had a morning limit on it though, will bear that in mind for the future.

Greenwich is long way from Stanmore BB, how long are you going to be in London for?

About an hour on the tube and train, changing at London Bridge - but a great destination.

He can also travel back on the Docklands Light Railway - another fantastic sight-seeing experience.

You'll need a Zone 1 - 6 Travelcard. £7.00 but you can't start before 9:30. Almost double if you want to start earlier.

Greenwich is an ideal place for a drink and a bite to eat but don't expect it to be any cheaper than central London.

Thats ideal because the plan is to get to Stanmore for about 9pm

Greenwich is long way from Stanmore BB, how long are you going to be in London for?

Just for the day, but i have no rush in getting back. Will probaly have tea in London before letting the worst of the rush hour go by.

Thanks for the info chaps:icon_bigg i'm looking forward to a good day

Last edited:
£7 is still not bad, didnt realise it had a morning limit on it though, will bear that in mind for the future.

Only applies Monday to Friday. You can use it from the start of service at the weekends and on Bank Holidays. Lasts right round to 4:30 the next morning as well.

I think the peak version is £13.80.

Another thing is that the last time i went to Greenwich we had to get off the Docklands Railway at Island Gardens and then go through a tunnel under the Thames into Greenwich. I cant remember why this was so and i'm hoping to get to Cutty Sark Station this time. On returning does anyone know if Canary Wharf tube station is a nightmare in rush hour. Just that if i can get a tube from there i can go directly back to Stanmore without changing.

About an hour on the tube and train, changing at London Bridge - but a great destination.

He can also travel back on the Docklands Light Railway - another fantastic sight-seeing experience.

I lived there 30 years ago, but unfortunately not in the village, I was at the shit end near the old hospital.

Dont know about the tube but i got like a hoverboat on the thames from o2 arena to london bridge was only £4 and was a fantastic way to see london in fact i think i saw the old observatory from the boat.

Dont know about the tube but i got like a hoverboat on the thames from o2 arena to london bridge was only £4 and was a fantastic way to see london in fact i think i saw the old observatory from the boat.

The Peter Harrison Planetarium is one of my destinations:icon_wink.

Thought about the river cruise to Greenwich from Tower Bridge, but the weather is hardly encouraging

Didnt realize the bit about London Bridge. So i presume the Jubilee line is in 2 parts and you need to change even though its still the Jubilee line after London Bridge:102:

Another thing is that the last time i went to Greenwich we had to get off the Docklands Railway at Island Gardens and then go through a tunnel under the Thames into Greenwich. I cant remember why this was so and i'm hoping to get to Cutty Sark Station this time. On returning does anyone know if Canary Wharf tube station is a nightmare in rush hour. Just that if i can get a tube from there i can go directly back to Stanmore without changing.

I would avoid Canary Wharf in the rush hour. Canary Wharf DLR is not even the best SLR station to use for a change for Canary Wharf Jubilee.

If you want to do the DLR, why don't you use it on the way out. On the return, go from Greenwich to London Bridge on South Eastern, and catch the Jubilee there. That way you will be doing more of your journey contra-peak.

The DLR no longer terminates at Island Gardens. It now dives under the Thames and goes to Lewisham via Cutty Sark and Greenwich.

And don't forget that you can't see the Cutty Sark since the fire.

Didnt realize the bit about London Bridge. So i presume the Jubilee line is in 2 parts and you need to change even though its still the Jubilee line after London Bridge:102:

No. One part right from Stanmore to Stratford. I was just giving you the quickest route from Stanmore to Greenwich.

The Jubilee does call at North Greenwich but that is some way from Greenwich itself. North Greenwich is near the O2 (the dome).

I would avoid Canary Wharf in the rush hour. Canary Wharf DLR is not even the best SLR station to use for a change for Canary Wharf Jubilee.

If you want to do the DLR, why don't you use it on the way out. On the return, go from Greenwich to London Bridge on South Eastern, and catch the Jubilee there. That way you will be doing more of your journey contra-peak.

The DLR no longer terminates at Island Gardens. It now dives under the Thames and goes to Lewisham via Cutty Sark and Greenwich.

And don't forget that you can't see the Cutty Sark since the fire.

I presume that the daily tube travel card is not valid for that though:102: or is that included because it is in the Zone 1-6 area.

Btw your input is much appreciated as always:icon_wink

I presume that the daily tube travel card is not valid for that though:102: or is that included because it is in the Zone 1-6 area.

Yes. It is valid on all tubes, trains and buses inside the zones (and some buses outside the zones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46