Oh no - not the Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMC Fox

Leicester Tigers and Leicester City today issued the following statement:

"We have agreed in principle to create a joint company to buy the Walkers Stadium and turn it into a sports super stadium for rugby and football.

"The new company would be owned on a 50:50 basis by Leicester Tigers and Leicester City. Both clubs believe this would be a visionary and ground breaking venture, unique in British sport.

"The stadium would be re-branded - inside and out, to reflect its joint ownership and a new playing surface would be installed to accommodate both football and rugby. The work would be carried out in time for the start of next season.

"The stadium would also be used to host international football and rugby matches, other sporting fixtures, concerts and special events.

"Discussions are taking place with the governing bodies for football and rugby, and between Leicester Tigers and the city council to agree a satisfactory financial settlement for the surrender of Tigers' lease on the Welford Road site and between Leicester City and the American institution who owns the stadium."

Leicester Tigers chairman Peter Tom said: "Leicester and Leicestershire has a wonderful sporting heritage and both Leicester Tigers and Leicester City have a great history and tradition. Accommodating both clubs in one stadium is an exciting and logical step to take in today's highly competitive sport environment and makes sound business sense."

Leicester City chief executive Tim Davies said: "It has long been our intention to develop the Walkers Stadium as a focal point of the community. Joining together with Leicester Tigers in this joint venture will enable us both to further develop, strengthen and cement the stadium as a centre of sporting excellence which caters for our footballing and rugby supporters as well as accelerating plans to become a major entertainment venue serving all of the people of Leicestershire and the surrounding regions."

Wonderful idea. Can't understand why they did not do this when the new stadium was first mooted. It will cut costs and put Leicester on the map worldwide.

The crazy crazy world of LCFC continues

That pitch will be in reeeeeeally good nick over the winter months.
Should help our passing game no end

Wonder who will get the biggest crowds.............

What about the quality of the pitch. :? :? :?

Could be a good thing. it will obviously bring in more money for a start. Maybe extensions to the capacity in the future too.

Jury is out for me. :? :?

homer said:
The crazy crazy world of LCFC continues

That pitch will be in reeeeeeally good nick over the winter months.
Should help our passing game no end

Wonder who will get the biggest crowds.............
there are lots of grounds that are used for rugby.

it also says a new surface - which i imagine will be more suited to regular use- will be put in before the start of next season.

Not a good move in my opinion, the pitch will not benefit especially during the winter.

The capacity wont need to be increased as i doubt the tigers will fill it every week

They play rugby at Wigan's ground, and the pitch there is awful.

But is it just coincidence that this announcement comes a few days after FIFA decided artificial pitches could now be used?

Whats the tigers average crowd? I have no interest in Rugby Union whatsoever but hopefully it might bring in more money for CL to spend in the summer.Just as long as those Rugby players dispose of those Pils bottles after they have finished shoving them up each others arses I don't care.

webmaster said:
They play rugby at Wigan's ground, and the pitch there is awful.

But is it just coincidence that this announcement comes a few days after FIFA decided artificial pitches could now be used?

Really! Webyo, your knowledge outstands me. So technically they could roll a big green carpet out after the rugby so that we can play a proper game.

Regardless of the pitch issue (which will be a fooking disaster - Old trafford gets fooked every time the rugby league boys play on there), this move puts the final nail in the coofin of our club having a true home

It will not be our stadium any more (yes I know we don't own it, but you know what I mean). It will be full of rugby memorabilia and full of rugby loving waankers everywhere.
It ceases to be the home of football

Filbo had to go, for obvious reasons. But we are now about to hand over our new home lock stock and barrel for the "corporate good".
Bye bye identity, history and heritage. hello multi functional generic nightmare that belongs to nobody in particular

Makes me sick to the stomach

Me too Steven, "re branding" of the stadium ! what`s that all about ? It`s all about money really nothing else !

http://www.football365.com/news/story_133405.shtml

With UEFA President Lennart Johansson calling on Arsenal to lay an artificial pitch at their new Ashburton Grove stadium, the FA are set to reverse their ban on synthetic surfaces.

The infamous 'dangerous' and 'unsuitable' plastic pitches were outlawed by the FA in 1983, but the ban is likely to be lifted following UEFA's ruling this week that artificial surfaces could be used by any club that qualifies for European competition.

"I would definitely advise Arsenal to have artificial grass at Ashburton Grove. Within 10 years, artificial pitches will be fully accepted," Johansson told The Daily Telegraph.

"These pitches will come. The International Board have accepted it, FIFA have accepted it and England will accept it."

"The quality of artificial surfaces is now much better, certainly much better than a lousy grass pitch in England in December," he added.

Oldham, QPR and Luton were among the clubs that used plastic pitches before the ban was issued. They were vilified for doing so, with opponents claiming that the pitches aggravated injuries and caused numerous burns to players.

But after carrying out a two-year study into the issue, UEFA are convinced that new technology now makes synthetic surfaces a viable and safe option.

"The quality has reached a level where artificial turf is comparable to or even better than some of the natural turfs," UEFA chief executive, Lars-Christer Olsson, told The Independent. "The need for artificial pitches has been big for decades, if you come from countries where you have bad winters for example."

homer said:
Regardless of the pitch issue (which will be a fooking disaster - Old trafford gets fooked every time the rugby league boys play on there), this move puts the final nail in the coofin of our club having a true home

It will not be our stadium any more (yes I know we don't own it, but you know what I mean). It will be full of rugby memorabilia and full of rugby loving waankers everywhere.

Filbo had to go, for obvious reasons. But we are now about to hand over our new home lock stock and barrel for the "corporate good".
Bye bye identity, history and heritage. hello multi functional generic nightmare that belongs to nobody in particular

As I posted on another forum, both clubs will now lose their own sense of uniqueness. Now as you rightly say it becomes a share situation for both clubs. Somehow that does not feel right. :(

homer said:

Spot on!!!! Do we get a say or is it like everything else with this club!

Foxes Trust, Can we start a petition? This is an outrage, I'm outraged! :evil:

It's everyone's complete f*ckin' nightmare

I HATE YOU F*CKIN BASTADS THAT "RUN" OUR CLUB

Were the Foxes Trust aware of this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687