O'Neill resigns as Villa manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has resigned with immediate effect

According to Sky Sports, O'Neill has resigned. Shall we recruit him as Assistant to Paulo?

Re: Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has resigned with immediate effect

Blimey, didn't expect that. Something to do with Milner? I've heard fans moaning that Lerner won't spend any money...

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/ClubNewsDetail/0,,10265~2116445,00.html

Club Statement

Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald, reserve team manager, has assumed the role of caretaker manager and will prepare the team for the opening Barclays Premier League game of the season against West Ham on Saturday at Villa Park.

Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

Martin O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

No further comment will be made by either Aston Villa or Martin O'Neill until further notice.

Blimey, such shocking news that it deserve 3 threads I reckon!

pity he couldn't have done it before we got Sousa in

Blimey, didn't expect that. Something to do with Milner? I've heard fans moaning that Lerner won't spend any money...

What's all the fuss about Milner. The World Cup showed him to be a very average player. I'd gladly accept £ 2m for him, never mind £ 20-30m.

Spat his dummy out, reminds me of cloughie more with each passing job.

What's all the fuss about Milner. The World Cup showed him to be a very average player. I'd gladly accept £ 2m for him, never mind £ 20-30m.

No doubt its **** all to do with that, just mindless speculation.

I hear he is off to Man U at the end of the season.

Should have done it earlier and gone to Liverpool. Reckon he will have a season off until a big job becomes available.

A mere 16 years after his short spell as caretaker at LCFC, Kevin MacDonald steps up to the plate once again. Expect to see Mark McGhee at Villa Park within a week.

I bet Pearson thinks that his name is in the frame for the job, now that his status has increased dramatically as a result of Hull's win on Saturday!

Dear old Martin, can never hang around in a job too long. A very perplexing character, that's sure. By the way, JF, Man U would never, ever, touch him with a bargepole.

Obviously feels he has took Villa as far as he can. I'm delighted, it means I can go back to hating Villa with relish as opposed to hoping they do well for Martin's sake.

Villa fans are the biggest load of moaning old douches I've ever had the misfortune of interacting with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669