Paul Jewell !

Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance Worthington will be back.

However, one possibility is McLeish. Jim Traynor from the Daily Record has just been on Sky saying he expects McLeish to quit as Scotland boss now as he wants to be a club manager and Scotland don't have another competitive game for 10 months.

It's well known that Mandaric wanted McLeish one time at Pompey before Redknapp came back a couple of years ago. He was refused permission to speak to him when he was still at Rangers.

Also, the fella from the Record said that McLeish already has one or two offers from "down South".

Stranger things have happened. It appears as though the only other contenders still in the running are Tigana and Holloway. Talk about chalk and cheese!

I think McLeish would want a bigger job than us,If he was to leave Scotland he may end up at Birmingham.Personally I think he will stay at Scotland

Jewell might just be tempted by the promise of wads of cash by MM and the chance to work at a bigger club than either Bradford or Wigan. I'll overlook his time at Sheffield Wednesday because they have been an even bigger basket case than Leicester are currently but thay serve as an example of the fact that there is no divine right to success in football.

Holloway is probably as good as we could get at the moment given our position and squad. We need someone who can spend the next season and a half building a squad, some team spirit and confidence before we start thinking about the Prem. Worthington could still be a candidate. I can't see why McLeish would come as if he wants out of the Scotland job then he will get more attractive offers

I think if any of the other widely tipped candidates; Souness, Reid, Dowie, Royle, Grayson, had been coming they would be here by now.

Paul Jewell would not fecking come here, not a chance. From taking Wigan up, getting them to a cup final and saving them from relegation. From being in contention just under 12months ago for the Newcastle, Bolton & England job to sh*tty Leicester City, who are and have been the past few seasons around the lower half of the Championship. Get real why the f*ck would he come here, its obvious he is waiting for a top half premiership job :098:

Paul Jewell would not fecking come here, not a chance. From taking Wigan up, getting them to a cup final and saving them from relegation. From being in contention just under 12months ago for the Newcastle, Bolton & England job to sh*tty Leicester City, who are and have been the past few seasons around the lower half of the Championship. Get real why the f*ck would he come here, its obvious he is waiting for a top half premiership job :098:

I agree with what you say but why the need for the :098:?

If it is true I openly question Mandaric's ambition. Holloway is not a Manager to takes us in the PL and there are better candidates. If MM will not hire them then it says to me that he is gambling on Holloway to get promotion and what is Plan B when it fails. :icon_sad: :102:

Not sure I agree with you Steven. I can't see where these better candidates are. The situtation at Leicester is a difficult one and a lot of good managers probably won't want to touch us with a ten foot pole.

I think Holloway would be good for us. His experience of this division ticks all the boxes and he has done really well with QPR and Plymouth. I'd be pretty pleased TBH.

Holloway looks about the mark that we are at - and would be a fair enough appointment. IMO Mandaric would be doing well if he can persuade him to leave Plymouth for the mess that we are.

Jewell - whether people on this forum like it or not - is out of our league these days. We have a lot of ground to make up before we could attract someone of his standing in the current managers' market.

I'm glad at least that the nonsense about Tigana is dying down a bit. I am constantly amazed at supporters' naivety.

Excellent points as usual, RF.

I really dont think jewell is 'unrealistic'

I understand that: but I suspect Paul Jewell would!

What would be the attraction for Jewell ?

- taking over a squad with a realistic chance of promotion within the next season or so....unlikely

- working with a chairman/ board that is going to stick with you over difficult times.....unlikely

- in the remote possibility of achieving promotion then having the resources to have a reasonable chance of staying up .....highly unlikely, Mandaric doesn't have those sort of resources and the opportunities for a sell on to a wealthier investor/ owner are totally speculative

- no better vacancies than Leicester City likely to crop up pretty quickly - no chance, at least three better vacancies available at the moment counting Birmingham City.

I just think we have to downsize our expectations for a bit and until the club has started to make some serious progress. We are likely to finish up with a journeyman manager and Paul Jewell is a bit more than that having achieved some fairly remarkable results - he kept Bradford up for season (near miracle category) and made Wigan no pushovers.

I understand that: but I suspect Paul Jewell would!

What would be the attraction for Jewell ?

- taking over a squad with a realistic chance of promotion within the next season or so....unlikely

- working with a chairman/ board that is going to stick with you over difficult times.....unlikely

- in the remote possibility of achieving promotion then having the resources to have a reasonable chance of staying up .....highly unlikely, Mandaric doesn't have those sort of resources and the opportunities for a sell on to a wealthier investor/ owner are totally speculative

- no better vacancies than Leicester City likely to crop up pretty quickly - no chance, at least three better vacancies available at the moment counting Birmingham City.

I just think we have to downsize our expectations for a bit and until the club has started to make some serious progress. We are likely to finish up with a journeyman manager and Paul Jewell is a bit more than that having achieved some fairly remarkable results - he kept Bradford up for season (near miracle category) and made Wigan no pushovers.

I would agree with that, however, Jewell has pretty low ambitions in terms of his next club IMO. He has been talking in the press about what a great club preston is recently. Shows that he is prepared to take any job in this division IMO.

I would agree with that, however, Jewell has pretty low ambitions in terms of his next club IMO. He has been talking in the press about what a great club preston is recently. Shows that he is prepared to take any job in this division IMO.

I can see that. My take on that is that it's good PR for Jewell to be nice about a famous old Lanc club like PNE. He might (tho' I doubt it) just also be thinking that Preston's expectations could be more reasonable than some other clubs - I certainly can't see the attraction for him in taking over at The Walkers.

I think we are more appealing to an ambitious manager of a smaller Championship or League 1 club who is prepared to take a chance that he is the person to turn us around - i.e. the Martin Allen and now the Ian Holloway type.

I can see that. My take on that is that it's good PR for Jewell to be nice about a famous old Lanc club like PNE. He might (tho' I doubt it) just also be thinking that Preston's expectations could be more reasonable than some other clubs - I certainly can't see the attraction for him in taking over at The Walkers.

I think we are more appealing to an ambitious manager of a smaller Championship or League 1 club who is prepared to take a chance that he is the person to turn us around - i.e. the Martin Allen and now the Ian Holloway type.

Possibly, though as some have already said the pressure and the expectation here might be too much. Maybe he is looking for a low stress job where anything in the top 10 is a bonus.

Also he has an excellent reputation at the minute and is highly sought after, that could be easily lost if he got sacked after 1 season at city, it makes it a risky job for anyone with a good reputation that takes it on. You are right in whst you say about up and coming ambitious managers though, they are the only ones along with has-beens that would risk us at the minute. Personally, i think the up and coming manager is the correct approach for us, Paul Ince has to be a temptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669