Pearson In

Status
Not open for further replies.
My argument wasn't about keeping him though. I said if we were to sack Pearson he could and probably should be looked at as a potential replacement. He's a manager that has learned from his mistakes. It's a trait that certainly seems lacking in our current leader.
Problem is most City fans simply wouldn't accept him because he's so closely and irreversibly linked with the lowest moment in the club's history. He absolutely was largely to blame for the relegation that season; he was the man in charge for the largest and latest chunk of the season, he was the man whose pathetic tactical approach against a clearly uninterested Stoke hammered the final nail in our Championship coffin, and he was the man who signed Zsolt Laczko, Gabor Bori, David Bell, Jamie Clapham, Kelvin Etuhu, Barry Hayles and Ben Alnwick.

To his credit, he was also the man who turfed out a number of completely ineffective players - Shaun Newton, Alan Sheehan, Alan Maybury, Hossein Kaebi, Carl Cort, Mark de Vries, Darren Kenton and Marco Ferreira - but anyone who had been paying the tiniest bit of attention to the club at the time knew their days were numbered anyway.

Erm, he played Harry Worely in central midfield in the game against Stoke?

Can anyone help me with a possible explanation that doesn't point towards being a total and utter incompetent buffoon at the time?

Can anyone help me with a possible explanation that doesn't point towards being a total and utter incompetent buffoon at the time?

Can't help, sorry.

When we heard the team being announced I thought " this time our manager has really lost the plot ". Shoving a reasonably inexperienced ( and pretty ordinary ) defender into midfield in one of the most important games in the history of the club was madness, absolute madness.

Last edited:
he was the man who signed Zsolt Laczko, Gabor Bori, David Bell, Jamie Clapham, Kelvin Etuhu, Barry Hayles and Ben Alnwick.

Be interested to know if he still has the same scouting team as he did here. Some of his signings at Blackpool were excellent. No dodgy Hungarians. I know his backroom are no longer his ex-QPR mates at Palace.

and he was the man who signed Zsolt Laczko, Gabor Bori, David Bell, Jamie Clapham, Kelvin Etuhu, Barry Hayles and Ben Alnwick.

I think Bazza deserves better than to be grouped in with those others!

Problem is most City fans simply wouldn't accept him because he's so closely and irreversibly linked with the lowest moment in the club's history. He absolutely was largely to blame for the relegation that season; he was the man in charge for the largest and latest chunk of the season, he was the man whose pathetic tactical approach against a clearly uninterested Stoke hammered the final nail in our Championship coffin, and he was the man who signed Zsolt Laczko, Gabor Bori, David Bell, Jamie Clapham, Kelvin Etuhu, Barry Hayles and Ben Alnwick.

To his credit, he was also the man who turfed out a number of completely ineffective players - Shaun Newton, Alan Sheehan, Alan Maybury, Hossein Kaebi, Carl Cort, Mark de Vries, Darren Kenton and Marco Ferreira - but anyone who had been paying the tiniest bit of attention to the club at the time knew their days were numbered anyway.

He played percentages and lost. Most would have thought that a point would be enough. It turned out not to be the case and we went down. I don't accept he was largely to blame. Ok some of his signings were poor during that period but let's face it he didn't have the kitty we have now to dip into. Mandaric set the tone for the season when he sacked Allen after 3 games. Ok Allen was perhaps never going to be a great manager for us, but to sack him and throw the squad into disarray at the beginning of the season WAS the major factor for our drop into League one.

Be interested to know if he still has the same scouting team as he did here. Some of his signings at Blackpool were excellent. No dodgy Hungarians. I know his backroom are no longer his ex-QPR mates at Palace.

I wonder how many fans still believe the managers were responsible for all the signings that season, mad Martin admitted he has never seen or heard of one of the players "he signed", highly unlikely that IH chose all the players that came in while he was here

He played percentages and lost. Most would have thought that a point would be enough. It turned out not to be the case and we went down.
He shouldn't have gone into that game with that attitude. Shockingly naive if he did.
I don't accept he was largely to blame. Ok some of his signings were poor during that period but let's face it he didn't have the kitty we have now to dip into.
He wasn't entirely to blame, but we actually finished five places lower than we were when he came in. He had over two thirds of the season to put things right. He failed to do so. In fact he did the opposite. That's nobody's fault but his own.
Mandaric set the tone for the season when he sacked Allen after 3 games. Ok Allen was perhaps never going to be a great manager for us, but to sack him and throw the squad into disarray at the beginning of the season WAS the major factor for our drop into League one.
Totally agree, Mandaric's poor decisions and woeful running of the club was definitely a key factor in the mess that was the 2007-8 season.

Anyway, we're straying away from the point. Leicester fans would no more accept Holloway as manager than they would Peter Taylor or Dennis Wise. It can not and will not happen. Ever. Maybe that means we miss out on a good manager at some point in the future. I for one am not bothered.

It is unlikely the manager is to blame for all player coming and goings.A good example would be if Kasper were to leave this Summer.I doubt Nigel would want to let him go if a big team comes in for him.I know there were rumours that he might go to Madrid but now I hear a truly massive club are showing interest.
I know it could be argued that Nigel is to blame for not getting promotion thus saddening Kasper but I think you should keep faith in Nigel as you did this year.

Mandaric set the tone for the season when he sacked Allen after 3 games. Ok Allen was perhaps never going to be a great manager for us, but to sack him and throw the squad into disarray at the beginning of the season WAS the major factor for our drop into League one.

Martin Allen was not sacked because of what was happening on the pitch. It was made clear that it was for non-football reasons so whether it was three games or three hundred was irrelevant.

Mandaric set the tone for the season when he sacked Allen after 3 games.

He wasn't sacked. His contract was terminated by mutual consent after FOUR games.

Martin Allen was not sacked because of what was happening on the pitch. It was made clear that it was for non-football reasons so whether it was three games or three hundred was irrelevant.

He wasn't 'let go' for what was going on the pitch, I agree - we had w1, d1, l1 and beaten Accrington in the League Cup at the time of his departure - but I think it is stretching the point to say that he didn't go for footballing reasons. Wasn't it clear that his departure was because he disagreed with MM about the direction of the club in footballing terms and in particular his refusal to contemplate the signing of such players as Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Derek Riordan, players for whom MM had already arranged and paid for the removal van?

Im sorry but i cant see him lasting a lot longer,i get a sneaky feeling that the pressure it still on,and i hope thats right.It seems the money pot is empty so we shall see how he can produce a good side for the coming season.

Im sorry but i cant see him lasting a lot longer,i get a sneaky feeling that the pressure it still on,and i hope thats right.It seems the money pot is empty so we shall see how he can produce a good side for the coming season.

If the club sacks Nigel and has to pay him off to the tune of £3m we can sell Kasper to recoup the money and play Conrad in goal next season, I see your logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669