Speculation Pearson is also prepared to offload a string of Sven Goran Eriksson signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be pissed off if we offloaded Beckford, I think he actually tries very hard the majority of the time, he's seriously grown on me since his disgraceful showing at Upton Park.

I would be pissed off if we offloaded Beckford, I think he actually tries very hard the majority of the time, he's seriously grown on me since his disgraceful showing at Upton Park.

There were far worse performers over the season that escaped the fan's wrath, but that's nothing new.

Was at that match and was convinced that was the last time we would ever see him in a Leicester shirt.

I wasn't particularly impressive with KP when I've seen him play. Granted i've only seen 3 games this season - Millwall away, Burnley at home and West Ham at home. But he was far from 'great' in my opinion. I have been told he was pretty good earlier in the year (but I can't make an opinion on that)

Peltiers nothing special either. Average Championship player.

I wasn't particularly impressive with KP when I've seen him play. Granted i've only seen 3 games this season - Millwall away, Burnley at home and West Ham at home. But he was far from 'great' in my opinion. I have been told he was pretty good earlier in the year (but I can't make an opinion on that)

Peltiers nothing special either. Average Championship player.

KP??? Kevin Pressman? Kermain Peckford? Kaul Ponchesky? Kandy Ping?

Last edited:
KP??? Kevin Pressman? Kermain Peckford? Kaul Ponchesky? Kandy Ping?

King Power?

I think the owners have let their money and power get to their heads too much if they've renamed a player to become the living embodiment of their company in an act of corpohumanisation. Too much!​

Last edited:
King Power?

I think the owners have let their money and power get to their heads too much if they've renamed a player to become the living embodiment of their company in an act of corpohumanisation. Too much!​

Andy King has been renamed A King Power in a sponsorship deal?

Will be really annoyed with Pearson if he offloads Beckford, especially if it's to a potential rival in this league. I think he's been our best striker in the second half of the season and has really knuckled down. Although he hasn't set the league alight, he has improved his scoring form and created a very decent partnership and understanding with Nugent. The sad thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen. If we do sell, this will be a big step back in my opinion, we saw how long it took him to settle and the same could apply to his replacement or they could flop altogether. The strikers we've been linked with so far, haven't exactly filled me with confidence either. They would have to make a major step up and it's a big punt.

I don't know how people can jump on his back and say he's potentially a bad influence in the dressing room, he seems to have a good rapport with the players and celebrates with them all when he scores, he hasn't said anything controversial to the media and made a nice gesture to Gally during the West Ham game. He's not got involved in any off field incidents like some of the Villa players either. Some people seem determined to hate him.

Last edited:
Will be really annoyed with Pearson if he offloads Beckford, especially if it's to a potential rival in this league. I think he's been our best striker in the second half of the season and has really knuckled down. Although he hasn't set the league alight, he has improved his scoring form and created a very decent partnership and understanding with Nugent. The sad thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen. If we do sell, this will be a big step back in my opinion, we saw how long it took him to settle and the same could apply to his replacement or they could flop altogether. The strikers we've been linked with so far, haven't exactly filled me with confidence either. They would have to make a major step up and it's a big punt.

I don't know how people can jump on his back and say he's potentially a bad influence in the dressing room, he seems to have a good rapport with the players and celebrates with them all when he scores, he hasn't said anything controversial to the media and made a nice gesture to Gally during the West Ham game. He's not got involved in any off field incidents like some of the Villa players either. Some people seem determined to hate him.
Spot on Greggs. I have migrated from thinking Becks was an arrogant SOB to actually caring! Hope it goes to show you can’t always judge a book by it’s cover. Now I hope he stays because his link-up play with Nuge looks good. BTW did we find out who KP is???

Spot on Greggs. I have migrated from thinking Becks was an arrogant SOB to actually caring! Hope it goes to show you can’t always judge a book by it’s cover. Now I hope he stays because his link-up play with Nuge looks good. BTW did we find out who KP is???
Sorry, - Gregs

Nobody leaving or coming in would surprise.
You won't be far off. We've reached that point where the press invent stories about clubs like our's because we've stopped playing matches and they need to retain fans' interest.

Basically, we'll find it difficult to move on players who have been acquired on inflated terms and Pearson isn't a manager to flash the cash plus the owners have had their fingers badly burned and whatever they say are sure to be wary.

Nobody "has to pay to watch them", people choose so to do. A stay away fan, who occasionally buys merchandise, rents Sky Sport and doesn't clutter up the stadium, is probably the preferred choice of football clubs so, be nice to me lesser mortal! :icon_bigg

I'm still struggling to identify which of our players falls into the "classy" category.

As has been said, all these rumours are just paper talk. The only thing of interest, is how the press perceive Pearson. Letting go classy players to buy cheap (in both senses of the word {but not as in chicken!}) replacements.

You're determined to spin everything into an attack on Pearson aren't you? You could also say that the press perceive Pearson as a manager who is not prepared to put up with having a load of overpaid, underperforming players on the books for years to come and he wants to bring in young, talented, hungry players on sensible money.

The quality of a player is not dictated by his transfer fee. What would you call Ben Marshall? A 'cheap in both senses of the word' player? I'd call him the classiest player on our books at the minute. Just because we didn't spend around £5 million on him doesn't make him a cheap player - in fact £1 million is a fairly decent fee for a championship player and if you think many clubs can afford to be throwing around even that kind of money, you're mistaken.

I certainly don't think Pearson is infallible, he's made some shocking signings in the past - Neilson, N'Guessan... but the vast majority of the time, he's got it right. He manages to get quality players for good value and I would say that is certainly one of the main reasons the owners wanted him back.

Sven splashed out the best part of £10 million and where did it get us? Absolutely nowhere and lumbered with some highly paid failures. You criticise people for not seeing the faults of NP, but you seem to have permanent rose tinted spectacles on when it comes to SGE. With the money he spent, he should have won this league, anything else was unnacceptable - by the time he was sacked, we were more or less out of the title race and the owners had to do something.

The quality of a player is not dictated by his transfer fee. What would you call Ben Marshall? A 'cheap in both senses of the word' player? I'd call him the classiest player on our books at the minute. Just because we didn't spend around £5 million on him doesn't make him a cheap player - in fact £1 million is a fairly decent fee for a championship player and if you think many clubs can afford to be throwing around even that kind of money, you're mistaken.

Sven splashed out the best part of £10 million and where did it get us? Absolutely nowhere and lumbered with some highly paid failures. You criticise people for not seeing the faults of NP, but you seem to have permanent rose tinted spectacles on when it comes to SGE. With the money he spent, he should have won this league, anything else was unnacceptable - by the time he was sacked, we were more or less out of the title race and the owners had to do something.

This is almost exactly my view.

Sven reached the point as a manager where he confused spending lots of money with being the same thing as bringing in quality. Good value was not an issue for him. With the just posssible exception of the keeper, I am not aware that he signed any what I would call "classy" players - which doesn't mean that I don't recognise the decent qualities of players like Nugent. Frankly, when I've gone to games none of our players are of the sort that draws me to want to watch them on a weekly basis.

People generally warm to Sven as being a nice urbane sort of guy - but when it comes to football management the main beneficiary of his efforts is himself in terms of raking in loads of money and in Leicester's case he has left the club with massive financial liabilities in the form of OTT transfer fees and an unrealistic wage structure for a Championship side. But Sven isn't the only one to blame. The owners or their agents should have exercised more prudence. Pearson has been brought in as an antithesis of Sven and surely will have been given marching orders to try to achieve promotion but at the same time get a grip of the finances..

Pearson has been brought in as an antithesis of Sven and surely will have been given marching orders to try to achieve promotion but at the same time get a grip of the finances..

I am not sure where this comes from but, if you are correct that promotion is no longer the over-riding aim, then I take back all that I have said: with a limited budget, Pearson is the right man to ensure that we stay reasonably well placed in the Championship.

I am not sure where this comes from but, if you are correct that promotion is no longer the over-riding aim, then I take back all that I have said: with a limited budget, Pearson is the right man to ensure that we stay reasonably well placed in the Championship.

I didn't read Redditch's post as meaning that at all, but I'm not surprised you tried to turn it round though.

As Pork Pie indicates - this was not my point. Basically the only place where Leicester City can thrive these days is in the Premier League - the alternative is to cut the cloth accordingly and live at a lower level in the Championship. However, under your hero Sven the club was spending heavily and worse still over commiting itself for the future through an unsustainable wage structure/ debts which were highly risky if promotion was not achieved quickly - as in last season. Something had to be done - and Pearson is probably as good a bet as anyone to build a side with a decent chance of promotion without continuing to bleed money.

Oh dear - two points: You cannot have an antithesis, it has to be the antithesis. Secondly, to be given your marching orders means to be told to leave (take it from a very old soldier!) and I don't want Nige or Nuge to be given their marching orders thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669