Pearson on his LCFC future

Status
Not open for further replies.

four king power

from the local rag....

Nigel Pearson has said he can give no assurances about his future as Leicester City manager.

Even before their devastating Championship play-off penalty shoot-out defeat at Cardiff on Wednesday night, Pearson had drawn up plans for pre-season and City's next campaign, and is looking to the future at the Walkers Stadium.

However, he said nothing was guaranteed in football and he has still to agree a new contract as City boss, although he has one year remaining on his existing three-year deal. He said that the ball is in City's court over any further negotiations.

He added that it is now firmly in City owner Milan Mandaric's hands whether the club are to build on their excellent fifth-place finish in the Championship.

"I can't give anyone any assurances because, as I have said before, managers get sacked all the time," he said.

Posted Image "The ball is in the court of the club now and has been for some time. All those sorts of things (budget talks) at this moment in time are private. I don't want to discuss targets for next season.

"The ball is very much in the club's court in terms of the next stage. We will see how things develop."

Pearson said he faced a summer of squad rebuilding, as the loan players who had served him so well headed back to their parent clubs.

Martyn Waghorn, James Vaughan, Jay Spearing, Alex Bruce and Ryan McGivern all said their farewells to their temporary team-mates yesterday as the squad held their end-of-season debrief and picked up their summer training programmes.

Pearson has also told the players who are being released the news. He would not reveal who they are at this stage, but they are unlikely to be big names.

Pearson and his coaching staff will now look back at the campaign and discuss plans for next season at their own meeting before departing on their own much-needed summer break.

"There are going to be a lot of changes, because we have a number of loan players," he said.

"We will have to, if we are to progress, develop the side again. We will let the dust settle now and move on.

"We may need to make changes to the playing staff, as I suppose we did when we first came in, because you have to have players who are ready for the next challenge."

Sounds like NP is trying to put the ball in Milan's court. Come on Milan, sign him up!

To be fair, Nige has done a reasonable job over the past two seasons. However, I wouldn't go as far to say that his achievements are so great that he is bound for a job with one of the Premiership sides. Who would want him - one of the mid/lower Premiership teams (Wigan/ Blackburn/Stoke etc)? I don't see the likelyhood of any of these posts becoming available.

Obviously,I'm grateful for the way he has turned us around, but look at what Holloway has done at Blackpool, Dave Jones at Cardiff, Brian McDermott at Reading, Billy Davies at Forest..

His treatment of DJ Campbell may indicate a weakness in his personality, ie he seems to bear a grudge. In this instance, the omission of DJ and his goals for Derby/Blackpool has cost us dear. Whatever he's like as a person, he certainly knows where the goal is. At a time when we were struggling to score many goals, we loan out a Championship quality striker to one of our rivals and they are on the verge of going up! Good decision by Nige?

Overall, I'm happy with the progress made under Nige, but let's not go over the top with the accolades. I want him to stay and us get promoted next year, but he needs to show that he is loyal to the cause. Where would he be know if Mandaric hadn't given him the opportunity and the recources (bearing in mind we were in League One) to manage Leicester after being dismissed by Southampton?

His treatment of DJ Campbell may indicate a weakness in his personality, ie he seems to bear a grudge. In this instance, the omission of DJ and his goals for Derby/Blackpool has cost us dear. Whatever he's like as a person, he certainly knows where the goal is. At a time when we were struggling to score many goals, we loan out a Championship quality striker to one of our rivals and they are on the verge of going up! Good decision by Nige?

Yes, an excellent one.

Overall, I'm happy with the progress made under Nige, but let's not go over the top with the accolades. I want him to stay and us get promoted next year, but he needs to show that he is loyal to the cause. Where would he be know if Mandaric hadn't given him the opportunity and the recources (bearing in mind we were in League One) to manage Leicester after being dismissed by Southampton?

Demoralised, relegated team into Champions, immediately followed by play-off semi-finalists. You're right, we should treat this as par and not get so carried away with the success Nigel has given us. Bring back Ollie.

In this instance, the omission of DJ and his goals for Derby/Blackpool has cost us dear.

Has it really? The last three league home games saw us score 12 goals, add in the 8 against Forest and Scunthorpe, all without the assistance of Campbell

Whatever he's like as a person, he certainly knows where the goal is.

That's as may be. His goalscoring ability seems to desert him when he pulls on a City shirt.

At a time when we were struggling to score many goals, we loan out a Championship quality striker to one of our rivals and they are on the verge of going up! Good decision by Nige?

So were we. We scored 3 goals away at Cardiff, more than any other team has managed to do this season (including Blackpool).

Excellent decision by Nige!. If the runours about dressing room unrest are found to have any substance, it will not have been made any better by having another disruptive influence about the place.

Getting shot of DJ Campbell was one of NP's better moves this season. My hope is that it can be made permanent.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if the hold up in NP's contract is down to Milan. Milan is the sort of chap who, when he has got what he wants, does not mess about. I really hope that this isn't NP extricating himself from City.

To be fair, Nige has done a reasonable job over the past two seasons. However, I wouldn't go as far to say that his achievements are so great that he is bound for a job with one of the Premiership sides. Who would want him - one of the mid/lower Premiership teams (Wigan/ Blackburn/Stoke etc)? I don't see the likelyhood of any of these posts becoming available.

Obviously,I'm grateful for the way he has turned us around, but look at what Holloway has done at Blackpool, Dave Jones at Cardiff, Brian McDermott at Reading, Billy Davies at Forest..

Not just DJ - he's got problems with a few players for no obvious good reason - I think he's treated Wesolowski and Gradel atrociously - not giving them any chance to prove their worth at City (at Championship level) - and yet constantly giving chances to players who, frankly, don't deserve that many - eg Oakley and Gallagher (certainly in the positions Pearson's playing him). You also have to ask why on earth he bought Neilson, spent so much on N'Guessan and persisted with the loan of McGivern when he obviously wasn't up to the job.

I don't want Pearson to go, but I also don't think it would be a total disaster if he did.

Last edited:
I don't want Pearson to go, but I also don't think it would be a total disaster if he did.

Wibble.

I suspect a lot of the contract stuff has been up in the air while the club has waited to see what league we will be playing in, and how much money will be available. Now that those details are settled I would expect contracts are being drawn up as we speak.

I'm not sure how many clubs are out there that Pearson could join that are better than us at the moment, but obviously once a few heads get lopped off around October his name could well be bandied about.

I don't know that he will sign a new deal, but I would suspect he will start the new season as Leicester boss.

Not just DJ - he's got problems with a few players for no obvious good reason - I think he's treated Wesolowski and Gradel atrociously - not giving them any chance to prove their worth at City (at Championship level) - and yet constantly giving chances to players who, frankly, don't deserve that many - eg Oakley and Gallagher (certainly in the positions Pearson's playing him). You also have to ask why on earth he bought Neilson, spent so much on N'Guessan and persisted with the loan of McGivern when he obviously wasn't up to the job.

Please tell me this is a joke!!
Are you honestly saying you can not understand why he hasn't played Wesolowski but has Gallagher???
Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear!:bang:

So basically he's asking Mandy for a whacking top notch deal or else he's off to the Prem.

All I'll say is PLEASE STAY NIGEL

I pray that Nigel doesn't read this forum and think that this post is in any way representative; otherwise we're all in big trouble.

(Surely you must be Weslowski/Gradel's Dad/Uncle/lover??)

Cardiff and Forest have both had millions pumped into them, and both managers have spent a lot more than we have spent under Pearson. Jones has also been there about 3 or 4 years building from an already good Championship position. Reading still have the spine of a Premier League outfit that Steve Coppell built, they were just managed atrociously by Rodgers. Holloway has done a great job, but we still finished 6 points ahead of them in the league.

And his treatment of DJ?!

DJ was the one who treated Pearson and Leicester atrociously, not the other way round. How any Leicester fan can defend Campbell is beyond me. He's an utter wanker, as bad as Wise!

Last edited:
Please tell me this is a joke!!
Are you honestly saying you can not understand why he hasn't played Wesolowski but has Gallagher???
Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear!:bang:

And if BR thinks Gradel was treated badly - oh come on. Gradel is just not up to it week in week out as I anticipate his time at Leeds will prove.

Weso is not only shit, but shit and a leper. What a ridiculous claim that he's been harshly overlooked

Not just DJ - he's got problems with a few players for no obvious good reason - I think he's treated Wesolowski and Gradel atrociously

You mean an injury prone player who he gave a shot at the first team back last season and Gradel who has proved on Saturday is a complete liability possessing arrogance too?

As for the three you mentioned...Neilson was probably a tip off a scout, freebie - not much lost. N'Guessan is a prospect at times this season he's looked brilliant and McGivern was a tip off Beaglehole.

He's brought stability, strength and some grit back to the club. As proved in recent weeks, a team spirit has been more than expressed.

The examples of other managers
Jones at Cardiff: It's took him three years to eventually get them into the playoffs and that's with paying £4 million for one player.

Davies at Forest: Nearly £10 million spent.

McDermott at Reading: Fair enough but Reading always had the makings of a decent side.

Holloway at Blackpool: Fair enough.

Again. It was Gradel who requested transfer engineering a move away from us. He's treated us badly if anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670