Photo gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

How many people would make use of a photo gallery, if I installed one?

It would enable you to upload your own photos to the gallery, which you could use to show off your pictures to anyone online, or just to use in posts.

Sounds good. I haven't got a clue how to upload images from my computer onto a normal message, so maybe a gallery would enable me to do so easily. :icon_bigg

Good idea - as long as it didn't frighten the children!

sounds good to me. If its easy to use. Will it not take up a lot of space and therefore slow the site down though. that wouldnt be so good.

fcukcov said:
Will it not take up a lot of space and therefore slow the site down though.

No, it shouldn't affect the performance of ths site. Space isn't an issue - I have over 140GB spare on the server's hard drives, and plenty of bandwidth.

webmaster said:
No, it shouldn't affect the performance of ths site. Space isn't an issue - I have over 140GB spare on the server's hard drives, and plenty of bandwidth.
Will there be a time limit of say 1 month that the photos will stay up for? Just thinking about filling up your space and also the logistics of the thing.

fcukcov said:
Will there be a time limit of say 1 month that the photos will stay up for? Just thinking about filling up your space and also the logistics of the thing.

I have no plans to set any limits or times. The disk space available should be enough for tens of thousands of high resolution pictures, so space shoudn't be an issue.

It is intended for people just to upload their own photos, not as a storage place for things you've found online.

webmaster said:
I have no plans to set any limits or times. The disk space available should be enough for tens of thousands of high resolution pictures, so space shoudn't be an issue.

It is intended for people just to upload their own photos, not as a storage place for things you've found online.
Would it be in the form of threads so that we could say have a thread for each match so people could post their pics of the trips to and from matches etc?

fcukcov said:
Would it be in the form of threads so that we could say have a thread for each match so people could post their pics of the trips to and from matches etc?

Not decided which gallery system it would be yet, so I can't give exact details, but it's likely that each person would have their own gallery they could add their own photos to.
But you could post any of those photos in a normal thread, so you could create a forum thread for match pictures if you wanted to do that.
The problem with this is that you're not allowed to take photos inside the ground, and the football league are apparently taking action against unofficial websites showing pictures without permission.

webmaster said:
Not decided which gallery system it would be yet, so I can't give exact details, but it's likely that each person would have their own gallery they could add their own photos to.
But you could post any of those photos in a normal thread, so you could create a forum thread for match pictures if you wanted to do that.
The problem with this is that you're not allowed to take photos inside the ground, and the football league are apparently taking action against unofficial websites showing pictures without permission.

I would prefer to see subject galleries rather than personal galleries.. Perhaps one for members of the group, another for players off-duty, another for ex-players, another for City shirs in unusual places, another City related stuff found around the world, etc etc

bocadillo said:
I would prefer to see subject galleries rather than personal galleries.. Perhaps one for members of the group, another for players off-duty, another for ex-players, another for City shirs in unusual places, another City related stuff found around the world, etc etc

The gallery software may not fully integrate with the forum, so what you're saying wouldn't work well, because people wouldn't be able to comment on the pictures, as it wouldn't be part of a forum thread.
It's much more flexible to allow people to upload their own pictures to their own gallery, and then if there's a picture in their gallery that could be used on a forum thread, to then post it into the thread.

webmaster said:
The gallery software may not fully integrate with the forum, so what you're saying wouldn't work well, because people wouldn't be able to comment on the pictures, as it wouldn't be part of a forum thread.
It's much more flexible to allow people to upload their own pictures to their own gallery, and then if there's a picture in their gallery that could be used on a forum thread, to then post it into the thread.

Point taken - so really no different to uploading to any gallery or webspace and linking from the forum then.

bocadillo said:
Point taken - so really no different to uploading to any gallery or webspace and linking from the forum then.

Depends on the system I choose. But whichever it is, it will be linked from here and members here will be encouraged to use it, so in that sense it's not like any other gallery. I may also be able to do things like automatically generate gallery membership for forum members, and link to their gallery from their profile.

The best gallery program that integrates fully into the forum costs $129, and I'm not prepared to pay that much.

There are other free gallery systems which integrate into the forum, but are not very impressive.

There are some very good free gallery systems that don't integrate into the forum.

So my next question is...

Do you want a gallery system that doesn't integrate into the forum, but is very good at what it does, or a system that does work with the forum but is not as good.

webmaster said:
Depends on the system I choose. But whichever it is, it will be linked from here and members here will be encouraged to use it, so in that sense it's not like any other gallery. I may also be able to do things like automatically generate gallery membership for forum members, and link to their gallery from their profile.

The best gallery program that integrates fully into the forum costs $129, and I'm not prepared to pay that much.

There are other free gallery systems which integrate into the forum, but are not very impressive.

There are some very good free gallery systems that don't integrate into the forum.

So my next question is...

Do you want a gallery system that doesn't integrate into the forum, but is very good at what it does, or a system that does work with the forum but is not as good.

I presume that you are asking this question to everybody and not just to me. For my part, I wouldn't want you to be paying anything for it - that doesn't seem fair. I'm not certain that it is as important to me as it is to some of the others who may not have webspace that they can upload to, so I think they should have their say.

You say the best gallery is $129. This is approx £70. Is this a one off payment?

If so, I am happy to contribute if others are. If it isn't then I am with Boc

Sounds like a good idea. but I wouldnt be willing to pay for it when I cna use putfile or set up my own webspace relatively cheaply.

for me the gallery would be very useful. it'd save me using photobucket to upload pictures/photos which does get a bit annoying.

therefore, keeping me on your site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670