Pompey - Carling Cup away - 1-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pompey

I watched him play, he wasn't any better back then

I cannot comment on Rofe's radio skills as I see no point in listening to Stringer. I am sorry Scotfox but that is just not true. Are you sure you have got the right player - small tigerish player, as hard as nails and fast with good though not great ball skills at First Division level.

Rofe was the established left back for years playing First Division football against the likes of Man U Liverpool and Arsenal in the most talented Leicester team I have ever seen. He never made the England team where Terry Cooper was brilliant but Alf Ramsey thought him good enough for England Under 23.

If he had not been a good player Jimmy Bloomfield, who was a brilliant judge of a player, would have replaced him very quickly. With all due respect to Bruno Berner who is one of my current favourites Dennis Rofe was better.

Are you sure you are not confusing him with Billy Houghton who had a couple of games at left back before Rofe arrived?

Played really well first half, good passing movements and should probably have been more than 2 up given the chances we created - Abe knocked the ball about really well. Second half we were poor, even when they when down to 10 men.

Not sure whether that was as a result of lack of competetive match minutes for Moreno, Vitor, Abe etc but at least we got through and hopefully this will benefit them.

I cannot comment on Rofe's radio skills as I see no point in listening to Stringer. I am sorry Scotfox but that is just not true. Are you sure you have got the right player - small tigerish player, as hard as nails and fast with good though not great ball skills at First Division level.

Rofe was the established left back for years playing First Division football against the likes of Man U Liverpool and Arsenal in the most talented Leicester team I have ever seen. He never made the England team where Terry Cooper was brilliant but Alf Ramsey thought him good enough for England Under 23.

If he had not been a good player Jimmy Bloomfield, who was a brilliant judge of a player, would have replaced him very quickly. With all due respect to Bruno Berner who is one of my current favourites Dennis Rofe was better.

Are you sure you are not confusing him with Billy Houghton who had a couple of games at left back before Rofe arrived?

I agree. But you didn't mention his woolly looking socks covering up his unfeasibly large calf muscles.

I agree. But you didn't mention his woolly looking socks covering up his unfeasibly large calf muscles.

If only Stringy had shoved one in his gob last night, and chewed on the other himself.

Sad that he and Walshy make piss poor commentators, even if the latter's "Look at that" efforts at least raise a laugh. Matt Jones, Tim Flowers and Alan Young have all been pretty good, even alongside the eejit.

Given the way the second half went I suspect Portsmouth's confidence will not be that low going into Frday even though they lost

I can't comment on Pompey as I don't know their team very well, but we had a very understength team IMO. Lots of players who haven't had much game time. Friday will be a completely different proposition.

Four changes from their starting lineup on Saturday, compared to our eight.

All set up for PS to revert to Saturday's lineup and lose .... or Wellens (Abe), Ikeme (Weale), Morrison (Vitor) and Fryatt (Howard) my guesses for changes.

Pompey fox how did Vitor get on? and was Moreno any better in midfield?

Vitor's distribution was good and he looked OK defensively - but did let Nugent through a few times which could have cost us.

Moreno was good first half but second half sat back too far and we were pretty over-run by them.

Not sure if both faded due to lack of match practice....

I'd play Moreno in place of Wellens and Howard in place of Fryatt for Fridays game.
Any news on Weale as we need him back asap IMO.

I'd play Moreno in place of Wellens and Howard in place of Fryatt for Fridays game.
Any news on Weale as we need him back asap IMO.

What did Logan do wrong? Sounded like he made some fantastic saves to keep us in it. (2 keepers innit?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669