Portsmouth 5 Leicester City 5 (Academy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyfox

Leicester City amazingly squandered a 5-0 lead with 11 minutes to go in the academy match against Pompey.

Can anybody here remember games were we have come back or chucked away leads.

I can remember being a kid and Leicester were losing to Brentford 2-0 in the cup,with about 10 minutes to go,i turned the radio of and went to bed.

About 30 minutes later my Dad popped his head around the door and said we had won 4-2...did not believe him one bit,but he was right.

Happy Days.

90/91 - away at Millwall. Winning 1-0 with about five minutes to go - then had two sent off and finish up losing 2-1.

I remember I went to bed once (it was a school night) when we were 3-0 down against Swindon in a midweek game, must have been Pleat-era I think, and a checked the score in the paper next morning and we had drawn 3-3 :038:

If I recall we made a similar comeback against them in the other fixture too, from 2-0 down to win 3-2, but no time to check right now (awaits Boc)

Going back many years ago...I think either late 1960's early 1970's we beat Manchester 4..3.. in a FA Cup game I'm sure, can anyone give some details on that?..was that not a come back game also??..cheers guys

Re: comebacks.

Fryatt's 2 injury time goals vs. Bristol Rovers a couple of seasons back when it looked like we could be playing til xmas and not score was pretty epic.

4-3 at Wolves. 3 goals up at half time which was as many as Wolves had scored so far that season. Then threw it all down the pan in the second half.

I seem to recall that becoming something of a habit that season.

Going back many years ago...I think either late 1960's early 1970's we beat Manchester 4..3.. in a FA Cup game I'm sure, can anyone give some details on that?..was that not a come back game also??..cheers guys

1968 - replay in the 4th round of the FA Cup - against Man City, who for a long time have been regular cup opponents of ours. We had already played no less than six cup games against them in three years without winning a single one.

After a 0-0 draw at Maine Road there was massive interest in the game and gates were closed all around the ground as the various sections closed. I was queueing for my regular place on the Kop over 20 minutes before kick-off when the gates suddenly slammed shut in front of me. It was suddenly every man for himself as people ran hither and thither to the places that they thought have space left. I finally managed to get a hold on a bit of terrace at the north end of the Popular Side, a bit down from the area that the Supporters Club was able to call their own a good few years later.

It was University Rag Week in Leicester and in an increasingly frantic atmosphere, nobody at first realised that the 22 men who took the pitch in the garb of the two teams a few minutes to kick-off time were in fact students on another of their japes. By the time they had been ushered off and replaced by the proper teams, the atmosphere was beyond electric.

But all this seemed to be for nothing when Mike Summerbee and Colin Bell but Man City 2-up before the game was very old - I think it might have been as early as the 17th minute when our dream of finally beating them seemed to have been dashed, certainly it was in the first half hour. A fightback seemed unlikely but that's what we got, in the shape of big Frank Large. He'd come to us earlier in the season from Northampton and made his debut at Maine Road in a 6-0 League thrashing but he seemingly decided that he wasn't going to let that happen again and it was his enthusiasm that swept us to score four consecutive goals to ensure a famous victory before Man City got a late consolation.

Yes, 4-3 it was - and in the minds of many of the City faithful, this remained the classic Filbert Street game until it was replaced by the infamous multi-goalkeepered game against Shrewsbury, another Cup tie and another game with an all-important fight-back.

They don't make games like that any more.
:icon_lol:

4-3 at Wolves. 3 goals up at half time which was as many as Wolves had scored so far that season. Then threw it all down the pan in the second half.

I seem to recall that becoming something of a habit that season.

2003/04. One game I do remember from that season was the one at Spurs. I think it was a Sunday game and might have been on TV. 3-1 down at half-time, Les Ferdinand got one back soon after the re-start. Stayed like that until about 20 minutes from the end when we had Scowie sent off, but then within the next few minutes both Ben Thatcher and Marcus Bent pegged to put us into a 4-3 lead - it may have been that Bent had only been on the pitch for a few minutes when he scored.

But those were the days of our panicky retreating defence and I don't think anybody was surprised when Jermain Defoe squared it all up again... eeerrr... memory says in injury time, but I won't stir up Jeff's wrath by declaring that as being so.

I remember I went to bed once (it was a school night) when we were 3-0 down against Swindon in a midweek game, must have been Pleat-era I think, and a checked the score in the paper next morning and we had drawn 3-3 :038:

If I recall we made a similar comeback against them in the other fixture too, from 2-0 down to win 3-2, but no time to check right now (awaits Boc)

I've got some recollection of this but don't think the two events happened in the same season - perhaps successive seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669