Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

FryattFox

They really are in trouble, aren't they. Could easily continue to plummet, if not cease existing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18855396

Portsmouth have flown to Spain for their pre-season tour without any of the club's senior professionals.
A squad of trialists and youngsters have made the trip for some warm-weather training and friendlies against Gibraltar and Brighton.
Pompey have eight senior players and need them all to leave to help exit administration and build a new squad.
And manager Michael Appleton is hopeful some of the club's higher earners will have left before he returns.
"None of the senior players who were here last season will be travelling to Spain," Appleton told BBC Radio Solent.
As things stand, Tal Ben Haim, Greg Halford, Erik Huseklepp, Dave Kitson, Liam Lawrence, David Norris, Luke Varney and Kanu all remain on Pompey's books.
Kanu has not returned for pre-season training and it is hoped an agreement will be reached to cancel his contract at the club.
Pompey's senior players
Portsmouth cannot afford to keep any of their eight contracted players - Tal Ben Haim, Greg Halford, Erik Huseklepp, Dave Kitson, Liam Lawrence, David Norris, Luke Varney, Kanu

There had been reports that the former Nigeria striker could sue the club for breach of contract, but Appleton says he is leaving that for administrator Trevor Birch to deal with.
"It's not for me to get involved in," said Appleton.
"That's for Kanu, his solicitor and Trevor Birch to sort out. If that's the path he wants to go down, then so be it."
Norris and Varney are in talks with Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United respectively, but Appleton says he would like them all gone.
"They will get a training programme in Portsmouth and hopefully they will have gone to pastures new by the time I get back," said Appleton.
Appleton has taken several trialists and youth-team players to Spain and the Pompey boss says it will be a useful exercise in bonding his squad.
Among those triallists are Izale Mcleod, Simon Gillett, Brian Howard, Moustapha Dumbuya, Jon Harley, Simon Eastwood, Luke Rogers and former Leeds winger Lloyd Sam.
Last week Pompey were told they would start next season in League One on -10 points and Appleton admitted it was a further blow in his attempt to attract new players to the club.
"It doesn't help," he said.
"I still haven't signed my first player as Portsmouth boss so it would be nice to get that out of the way.
"If it goes another couple of weeks and I still haven't signed anyone, then I think it could start to become an issue."

They really are in trouble, aren't they. Could easily continue to plummet, if not cease existing.

I don't think they'll last the season. Not sure if they'll even start it.

It's got to the point where I just pity them now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18958234

Portsmouth near liquidation, say fans group SOS Pompey

Portsmouth supporters group SOS Pompey say the financially stricken club are approaching closure and have called on the remaining players at Fratton Park to be "part of history" and save them.
The club have eight senior players left on their books and their salaries are preventing a takeover of Portsmouth.
Unless they leave Fratton Park or take a pay cut the club could be liquidated.
"This is the end game for Pompey, in a couple of weeks it will be over," SOS spokesman Bob Beech told BBC Solent.
In June, Portpin agreed to complete its purchase of the club on condition the wage bill was reduced through player sales and compromise agreements.
But administrator Trevor Birch has so far been unable to achieve sufficient savings by this strategy alone.

Not surprising for them to say that, although I don't doubt that it's true.

I've never liked Pompey especially following a number of nasty experiences at Fratton Park, but what they're going through is shocking.

It's a sad state of affairs.

If our owners get bored or a new play thing, it could so easily be us.

In a way I understand the players' actions. If you have a choice but either way sees you getting minimal money from an employer who has screwed you over before, you might be tempted to make them pay by taking them to the wall. Also, the club want players to take deferred, smaller payments; with Portsmouth's record of paying on time, would you trust them to honour these agreements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566