Potential scrapping of relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

FryattFox

Aha. I see...and agree.

I wonder who people would like to see locked away in that league if it shut? I'd like Swansea back, Norwich can stay and Leeds can get promoted.

And Forest?

IF it did happen, would it just be at a point in time? As opposed to some sort of 5-year average position or some equally absurd measure. It just seems a bit weird that if it happened a few years back we could have been 'locked' in League 1.

Lako42

Pure madness, will not happen like this, the ECL could, but not like this.

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
Part of me hopes this will happen. Then I can turn my back on the game and save a couple of grand a year :038:

indierich06

Part of me hopes this will happen. Then I can turn my back on the game and save a couple of grand a year :038:

I think I would too. Or at least drop a few rungs down the footballing ladder and start supporting a non-league side. If this happens, it'll have to be one of the biggest dick moves in football history, purely motivated by greed and symbolising everything that is wrong with the game today. These foreign investors want the financial benefits of the PL for them, their companies and their sponsors without the drawback of having to invest heavily in players and coaches to stay in the league. ****s. The lot of them.

Cate Fox

I think I would too. Or at least drop a few rungs down the footballing ladder and start supporting a non-league side. If this happens, it'll have to be one of the biggest dick moves in football history, purely motivated by greed and symbolising everything that is wrong with the game today. These foreign investors want the financial benefits of the PL for them, their companies and their sponsors without the drawback of having to invest heavily in players and coaches to stay in the league. ****s. The lot of them.

Surely our owners are looking for the same thing too.....?

indierich06

Surely our owners are looking for the same thing too.....?

Well, I'm not trying to tar all foreign owners with the same brush, some of them are in it for the right reasons, but I suspect that our owners would be up for this and that's why if it did happen, I'd be turning my back on the club - especially if we were in the top flight. For me, it takes all the ambition and competition out of what is supposed to be a competitive sport.

As much as I hate them, you'd never see teams like Blackpool coming from nowhere to challenge the top teams in the country... The Championship is a means to an end for me; I want to see my team compete at the highest possible level and succeed (I admit, this may be slightly delusional), if the PL is closed off and the best we can do is win the Championship, what's the point? It'll never be the top level. I know it's highly unlikely we'll ever challenge for the PL title, but at least we've got the opportunity to do so at the moment. Conversely, if we're in the closed off PL, the investment in playing staff and management will dry up as there is nothing to fear in coming rock bottom in the league every season. It'd be absolute bollocks.

Biffa Bacon

Scrapping relegation would make the Premier League much less interesting for the neutral fans and reduce it's earning potential, with no threat of relegation there would be no 'relegation 6 pointers' to liven up lower table clashes and thus half of the matches most weekends would have very little pull. If there was less excitement the big TV deals would dry up and the smaller teams would end up with less and less money, the big 4-6 (or however many you want to put in there) would use it to break the collective rights deal and take all the TV cash themselves as Barca and Real do in Spain. Just shows how thick the owners of our 'Top' clubs are. They hardly lose out now with 4 years of relegation payments if they yo-yo between PL and the Championship.

H T B

The last day of last season in the Premier league was the most exciting last day that I can remember.
The bottom 3 changed 8 times during the 90 minutes.

Imagine if there was no relegation, hard to commentate on "& if they finish 4th from bottom they will earn an extra £500,000!"

Mawsley

Introduce the Euro league - say farewell to the wanker clubs and start again without them.

Failing that, sit back and wait as football continues its journey up its own arse.

Biffa Bacon

Introduce the Euro league - say farewell to the wanker clubs and start again without them.

Failing that, sit back and wait as football continues its journey up its own arse.

It's gone so far I don't think football can get much further on that path, half of the problem is that the owners are running out of new ideas for ways to dick the fans over

give_us_a_wave

Interesting stuff.& whilst I'm fascinated by some of the opinions expressed here I thought I might weigh in with a moderate & considered response:

Any sport that,even for a second,moots the possibility of success (relative or otherwise) being decided by anything other than the ability to perform on the field of play has ceased to be a sport.

It is a chimp orgy.

A bunch of cowardly,greedy,soulless bastards grasping for cash & prestige without the merit of having earned it.Without regard to history,fair play & every sporting principle known to man.

The playing field is already ludicrously & deliberately skewed in favour of the big fish & now the medium fish want to be protected too.

Screw them & the horses they rode in on.

Anyone who even suggests this ludicrous idea with even a vague semblance of being serious about it should be hung,drawn,quartered,defecated upon & subsequently reanimated Frankenstein style & made to sit in a chair with their eyes stapled open to watch untold hours of American TV Evangelists at full volume whilst being simultaneously arse raped with a large unlubricated dildo coated with Ebola virus.

Either that or a stiff fine for bringing the game into disrepute.

Last edited:

Mawsley

It's gone so far I don't think football can get much further on that path, half of the problem is that the owners are running out of new ideas for ways to dick the fans over

I don't believe that for a second - especially when there's people who believe Top is doing it for the right reasons.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Interesting stuff.& whilst I'm fascinated by some of the opinions expressed here I thought I might weigh in with a moderate & considered response:

Any sport that,even for a second,moots the possibility of success (relative or otherwise) being decided by anything other than the ability to perform on the field of play has ceased to be a sport.

It is a chimp orgy.

A bunch of cowardly,greedy,soulless bastards grasping for cash & prestige without the merit of having earned it.Without regard to history,fair play & every sporting principle known to man.

The playing field is already ludicrously & deliberately skewed in favour of the big fish & now the medium fish want to be protected too.

Screw them & the horses they rode in on.

Anyone who even suggests this ludicrous idea with even a vague semblance of being serious about it should be hung,drawn,quartered,defecated upon & subsequently reanimated Frankenstein style & made to sit in a chair with their eyes stapled open to watch untold hours of American TV Evangelists at full volume whilst being simultaneously arse raped with a large unlubricated dildo coated with Ebola virus.

Either that or a stiff fine for bringing the game into disrepute.

I'm glad you told us your response was going to be moderate. I would never have realised otherwise.

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
Scrapping relegation would make the Premier League much less interesting for the neutral fans and reduce it's earning potential, with no threat of relegation there would be no 'relegation 6 pointers' to liven up lower table clashes and thus half of the matches most weekends would have very little pull. If there was less excitement the big TV deals would dry up and the smaller teams would end up with less and less money, the big 4-6 (or however many you want to put in there) would use it to break the collective rights deal and take all the TV cash themselves as Barca and Real do in Spain. Just shows how thick the owners of our 'Top' clubs are. They hardly lose out now with 4 years of relegation payments if they yo-yo between PL and the Championship.
Exactly. The current title contenders would remain as they are, there'd be nothing for the other 17 teams to play for other than cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669