Potential scrapping of relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would there be for the bottom half clubs to compete for if relegation was abolioshed?

What would there be for the bottom half clubs to compete for if relegation was abolioshed?

If it was scrapped, I'd much prefer to be in the second division that the Prem for this reason.

Tbh, this may not actually be such a bad thing, could end up making the lower league much more competitive and enjoyable as we'd actually have something to win and aim for. For a while I've thought the best thing for the English game would be for ManUtd, Chelsea, ManCity, Arsenal and Liverpool to **** off and join a European Super league and take all the tv money with them.

When we were last in the Prem, place money amounted to about £350k per position. I'm sure it will be a greater amount now; this is what they would be fighting for.

For a while I've thought the best thing for the English game would be for ManUtd, Chelsea, ManCity, Arsenal and Liverpool to **** off and join a European Super league and take all the tv money with them.

PR has recently agreed with me in another thread. It's now my turn to agree with him.

The Super League will happen. Partly based on the NFL or similar.

Be quite funny to see the likes of Villa realise they have **** all to play for.

Eh? Teams like Villa will be playing for the English title if it happens, which is far more than they're ever playing for nowadays.

Last edited:
Villa would consider that beneath themselves if the top six went to a ESL.

Maybe for a couple of years, but they'd soon get over it and would want to be chasing the title. When the ESL becomes unattainable teams who don't play in it wouldn't care about it. I wouldn't consider Leicester to have nothing to play for if they don't reach the CL, Villa fans will think the same within a couple of years.

Met many Villa fans?

A competition with as rich history as the FA Cup is considered reasonably worthless by the majority of the Premiership. I believe the same would apply to the English title in the circumstances of the ESL.

Eh? I don't get the comparison. The FA Cup is considered a secondary competition to the league. The English league wouldn't be a secondary competition to anything, unless another competition was brought in for a team like Villa to play in as well.

Last edited:
For a while I've thought the best thing for the English game would be for ManUtd, Chelsea, ManCity, Arsenal and Liverpool to **** off and join a European Super league and take all the tv money with them.

I'd dance on the corpse of the Premier League as I have long desired the return of the 1st Division, the permier league.

I'd dance on the corpse of the Premier League as I have long desired the return of the 1st Division, the permier league.

Tbh, I don't think this scrapping relegation would be such a bad thing, providing we were in the Championship and not the Prem when it happened. The Championship is already a much more exciting and competitive league than the PL, if that became the top possible league for a club like Leicester, it'd be far more exciting to chase the title in that, than dick around the bottom half of the Prem year after year, knowing we can't even get relegated and having no even excitement of a relegation battle.

The benefit of the closed American leagues is that they are unpredictable thanks to the drafting system, I'm not sure how they would sort that out if this were to happen here. To just leave the league as it is and close it would seem very strange indeed for the lower half teams.

Last edited:
The Championship is already a much more exciting...

Is it? Not based on the gazillion matches I've ever watched in it. I think the Championship promotes matches just like the one we witnessed on Sunday as every team's primary aim is not to lose. The existence of the Premiership and its financial lure makes most clubs too afraid to take risks on the field which is why the one or two teams per season who do produce attacking flowing football really stand out.

Kill off the Premier League and the money haemorrhage going on there and the Championship would improve, becoming more like the First Division of old. There would be no motivation for foreign players and owners to involve themselves to such a great extent. Players would have to take reduced salaries, clubs would have to charge less - football would revert.

Players earning less would be more inclined to play for and remain with their local side - we'd see increased club loyalty, the growth of pride in playing for a shirt and some proper ****ing pashun. Knock it all you like (not you, everyone) but Sunday was yet another typical soulless performance that we've seen so many times before because no one has any passion for playing and winning. They are all overpaid ****s.

I agree with what you're saying, but I meant it was more exciting in terms of the actual league (i.e. promotion, relegation races) as opposed to how exciting the actual matches were.

I agree with what you're saying, but I meant it was more exciting in terms of the actual league (i.e. promotion, relegation races) as opposed to how exciting the actual matches were.

Aha. I see...and agree.

I wonder who people would like to see locked away in that league if it shut? I'd like Swansea back, Norwich can stay and Leeds can get promoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566