premier league 2 and leicester city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysalis

I been thinking about this premier league 2. It spreads the sky tv money between 36 clubs instead of 20 and reduces the chance of relegation. Apperently leeds united have been invited.

I wonder with MM buying our club was he aware of the plans for the PL2 and have we been invited? if yes and yes it would make his buy a very shrewd one indeed. It seems in the news so far that palace have been invited, leeds united, rangers and celtic so clearly its not all going on current league standings.

Last edited:
No one has been invited, It's mr Gartside's brain child, I use the term brain very loosely.

Premier league what?

Mr Gartside thinks it is possible to have two premier versions of the same thing, he is obviously bonkers.

Last edited:
I do agree it does seem to be made up by gartside to protect his own interests, if its very unlikely to happen I will forget about it.

I do agree it does seem to be made up by gartside to protect his own interests, if its very unlikely to happen I will forget about it.

I think its possibly best you do!

I been thinking about this premier league 2. It spreads the sky tv money between 36 clubs instead of 20 and reduces the chance of relegation. Apperently leeds united have been invited.

I wonder with MM buying our club was he aware of the plans for the PL2 and have we been invited? if yes and yes it would make his buy a very shrewd one indeed. It seems in the news so far that palace have been invited, leeds united, rangers and celtic so clearly its not all going on current league standings.

Anybody who thinks this is about spreading any money around is being naive in the extreme.

Would this two-tier Premier League be closed to promotion/relegation? If so, I can't see this being popular with anyone but club chairmen to be honest. Even if City were 'invited' to be one of the 36, I'd be unhappy. A completely open league system is needed to allow the smallest of clubs the dream of playing at the top - secretly all Lincoln fans have a fantasy of a season in the Premiership. A tiny chance of it happening is better than zero chance.

It's also needed in order to keep the fixture lists looking fresh. At present, even if your team stagnates in the second tier (like a Burnley or an Ipswich), at least you get six new teams to play every season. Wouldn't you get bored of going to the same places year in year out?

We should never close our top leagues to lower league clubs. Not ever. And if you want to hear my argument about the Old Firm, click the link :icon_bigg

If it isn't broke, why fix it?

What isn't? Far too many games, too top-heavy with the money, ticket prices insanely high, ridiculous kick-off times, clubs going out of business, players making money in a week that a lot of fans wouldn't see in five years, the gap between the top two divisions becoming a chasm, a title race so impenetrable that even a club the size of Liverpool hasn't been a real contender for over a decade, grounds named after sponsors (Walkers? Ricoh? Kit Kat??), second division players in the England squad...

Seems to me like English football is very broken. It's just that Gartside's solution isn't a solution at all, it's just a way of exacerbating the problem because it's in his club's interests to so do.

What isn't? Far too many games, too top-heavy with the money, ticket prices insanely high, ridiculous kick-off times, clubs going out of business, players making money in a week that a lot of fans wouldn't see in five years, the gap between the top two divisions becoming a chasm, a title race so impenetrable that even a club the size of Liverpool hasn't been a real contender for over a decade, grounds named after sponsors (Walkers? Ricoh? Kit Kat??), second division players in the England squad...

Seems to me like English football is very broken. It's just that Gartside's solution isn't a solution at all, it's just a way of exacerbating the problem because it's in his club's interests to so do.

Exactly, English football does need sorting out, but this would just make the problem worse, it would basically destroy Scottish football and all lower league football.

Its not going to happen though, its just some chairman scared of getting relegated and going bankrupt wanting to protect his own interests

The pre-Premier League and Champions League days were when it wasnt broke and they tried to fix it but its not likely we can ever go back to them now

Last edited:

Exactly, English football does need sorting out, but this would just make the problem worse, it would basically destroy Scottish football and all lower league football.

Its not going to happen though, its just some chairman scared of getting relegated and going bankrupt wanting to protect his own interests

The pre-Premier League and Champions League days were when it wasnt broke and they tried to fix it but its not likely we can ever go back to them now

Agreed with all of the 2 posts except the idea that moving the Old Firm would destroy Scottish football. I think it's been fecked for years. The last time Scottish Football was slightly interesting was when Aberdeen and Dundee Utd (the new Firm) were challenging. Again money has destroyed Scottish Football. Moving the Old firm might have the required impact of shaking the leagues. I'd love to see Raith Rovers play in Europe again :icon_bigg

We should never close our top leagues to lower league clubs. Not ever.

Even Leeds?:icon_eek:

Which if what has been suggested about thme in the first post it takes the piss. If they want to eventually go down that route, then do it fairly(HA!) and have the 36 team who would be in those places wheneever this daft idea would begin.....don't 'invite' teams else you'd have so-called 'sleeping giants' saying why they should be asked.......

Even Leeds?:icon_eek:

Which if what has been suggested about thme in the first post it takes the piss. If they want to eventually go down that route, then do it fairly(HA!) and have the 36 team who would be in those places wheneever this daft idea would begin.....don't 'invite' teams else you'd have so-called 'sleeping giants' saying why they should be asked.......

But then its ridiculous, i mean i know Forest and Leeds arent 2 of the most popular clubs on a LCFC fansite, but theyve reached the Champions League final, ffs! You cant just close a team with such history off from ever making the top 2 tiers

And the proposal DOES include attendence sizes and shit

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...imon-jordan-shares-his-views-115875-21310110/

"The revised plans for the Premier League would see 18 clubs in the top division and 24 in Prem 2 - including Glasgow giants Rangers and Celtic. But the fact that stadium capacity and revenue streams are being used as criteria will help the likes of Leeds, Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday.

There will be losers and the likes of Doncaster( ground capacity 15, 269) and Swansea( 20, 520) won't meet the Prem 2 criteria. The Gartside plan proposes controls on wages and the debt level limits - a move that would be welcomed by the FA."

Wage limits and debt limits are undoubtedly a good idea, but why not just bring them into the current PL as it is? Its basically an attempt to stop Bolton ever getting relegated and thats it

Last edited:
Why not bring them into the Football League not just the PL?

I don't want to be 'given' a place in any league higher than what we are(as nice as that would be!) I want to see my team earn the right, not rely on their history/fanbase to get it.

Why not bring them into the Football League not just the PL?

I don't want to be 'given' a place in any league higher than what we are(as nice as that would be!) I want to see my team earn the right, not rely on their history/fanbase to get it.

Exactly. Just like Doncaster and Swansea have earned their right to be where they are now.

Of course wage and debt limits should be brought into the FL as well, but its not that easy to do it at the same time as a lot of the debts football league teams have is due to over exuberance of the PL. As long as the wage and debt bill is the same for all 4 divisions of course and not less for the FL

Theyre already bringing a cap on the number of foreign players in the FL in a year or 2, the PL should be following suit.

Changing the system will be inevitable in the next few year as the chasm between the big 4 and the rest of the PL and the PL and the FL continues to get beyond worrying, and the proverbial rich get richer while the poor get poorer. But this is absolutely a step in the wrong direction imo. It should be laughed down to the ground if anyone has any sense.

Last edited:
Get the top four to sod off once and for all to some European megaleague worshipped by glory hunters and ignored by everyone else, and then the rest might fall back into some kind of decent league.

Get the top four to sod off once and for all to some European megaleague worshipped by glory hunters and ignored by everyone else, and then the rest might fall back into some kind of decent league.

Hard to disagree,the big 4 have in many ways ruined football in England imo.
I dont dispute the fact that they have great players and can be entertaining, but the gulf between these 4 and everyone else is not healthy.
They take the piss out of the f.a.cup because of their champions lge commitments, and totally dominate live tv coverage. The chances of a medium size club challenging for the title have long gone.
It is a pity that the height of ambition for a club like ours is premier lge survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669