Premier League 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barton is a thug and I don't think any football fan would care if he never played football again. However, this comment about Shearer on MOTD did make me smile....

"I'd take it off Hansen and @GaryLineker but not from that bell, same fella that stamped on Neil Lennon,then threatened FA if they banned him. That he would retire from international football. No sorry, not having him, never have. Selfish, boring man him. He can do one..."

Although he's then off on one at Gary Lineker now after he made a comment. D'oh.

I'm taking a wild guess that your response was in reference to me stating Man City have bought their title?

With this very interesting stat are you suggesting they "basically" didn't pump a load of money and buy up quality players in a very short space of time thus taking them from mid table team to winning the title in 5 years?

I took your post to mean that you'd sooner Man Utd had won it, rather than a team who bought the league. This was mainly due to the fact that I didn't read the end of your post, though!

I took your post to mean that you'd sooner Man Utd had won it, rather than a team who bought the league. This was mainly due to the fact that I didn't read the end of your post, though!

I really enjoy watching Man U lose I'm not sure why. Probably they have been top for so long it's good to see them get knocked off their perch as with Liverpool in 1989. Their squad is expensively assembled but credit to Fergie he has produced the success where they have been able to afford to buy and keep such players.

Two of their most expensive and successful assets were in their team on Sunday, one player has been at the club since 2002 the other 2004.

I found this article interesting http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/13/manchester-city-leeds-premier-league

What Leeds Utd achieved back then, in the not too distant past, would be considered unimaginable in the current climate. Even they were considered to have financed success.

I really enjoy watching Man U lose I'm not sure why. Probably they have been top for so long it's good to see them get knocked off their perch as with Liverpool in 1989. Their squad is expensively assembled but credit to Fergie he has produced the success where they have been able to afford to buy and keep such players.

Two of their most expensive and successful assets were in their team on Sunday, one player has been at the club since 2002 the other 2004.

I found this article interesting http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/13/manchester-city-leeds-premier-league

What Leeds Utd achieved back then, in the not too distant past, would be considered unimaginable in the current climate. Even they were considered to have financed success.

The thing is, surely every team is trying to buy success, it just differs on how much you spend?

I think Man City feel like a team of mercenaries brought in to win then move on, a bit like Chelsea, whereas Man Utd feel a bit more like he's built a team. Could be bollocks though.

The thing is, surely every team is trying to buy success, it just differs on how much you spend?

I think Man City feel like a team of mercenaries brought in to win then move on, a bit like Chelsea, whereas Man Utd feel a bit more like he's built a team. Could be bollocks though.

I think that's right. I'm not a Man Utd fan but it's fair to say that they have developed a good number of young players who have either flourished with them or moved on and done well elsewhere.

In comparison the likes of Chelsea & Man City are more or less solely about spending and spending until they can achieve their targets. Obviously such spending also needs judgement and then management of often difficult egos but nonetheless they effectively buy success.

This pattern has massively changed the game and to an extent damaged it. That said we now have a cluster of major foreign billionaire's consortia owned clubs who have effectively formed their pwn competitive mini league which has kept Sky and viewers happy. Well done to Newcastle who have largely competed with these - Mike Ashley and the London Mafia zeroes to heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669