Premier League 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Prem 2012-13

Yeah, that was him alright. It was just after he started doing a paper round in the mornings for a few extra quid

The bastard, bet it was just before Christmas too, so he got all the tips.

Arsenal are run absolutely brilliantly by what I consider the best manager in the business.

Seriously.

They're the model for how clubs should be run. Unfortunately, nobody else seems interested.

They're the model for how clubs should be run. Unfortunately, nobody else seems interested.
Including, typically, some of the former shareholders selling out for big, big, bucks. Also being well run involves having the highest ticket prices in the Prem. It may be sustainable, but it's the supporters who are sustaining it, the owners have not invested a penny piece in the club.

Including, typically, some of the former shareholders selling out for big, big, bucks. Also being well run involves having the highest ticket prices in the Prem. It may be sustainable, but it's the supporters who are sustaining it, the owners have not invested a penny piece in the club.

Good points. I was shocked when I read the comparitive prices of season tickets between Arsenal and some of the other "Top clubs".

Would we not all be mercenaries if we had the chance? I don't know many people that would turn down a 'double your money' job offer.

Maybe so, but we don't have the pantomime that goes with being a professional footballer.

QPR have agreed a deal to sign Park Ji-Sung. Initial fee of £2m, potentially rising to £5m. Seems a weird structure for a 31-year-old.... would imagine most of that extra £3m relies on QPR just staying up.

Good signing for QPR though. Will be interesting to see how he does for them playing regularly.

Last edited:

Maybe so, but we don't have the pantomime that goes with being a professional footballer.
That's a media pantomime that footballers don't need to take part in. Just look at Paul Scholes.

He now joins a select band of players who have their name, or part of their name in the name of the club they play for.
And if Andy King is still with us when we do our Cardiff-style rebrand to become King Power United Global Super Mega International Football Club, he'll join it too.

Quoting the Guardian: Last May the Arsenal Supporters' Trust accused their club of "pricing loyal supporters out of the Emirates". I'm not quite sure how that fits into anybody's idea of a model club?

Quoting the Guardian: Last May the Arsenal Supporters' Trust accused their club of "pricing loyal supporters out of the Emirates". I'm not quite sure how that fits into anybody's idea of a model club?

Fans complain about ticket prices? How novel.

Almost every supporters club in the country will have the same complaint. At least Arsenal are spending (or not spending as the cas may be) the money a little more wisely than most.

Arsenal fans can sleep at night knowing their club is in the black.

Now I grant you that ticket prices have soared and people have been priced out. It's shit, no argument from me. But as a fan, I'd feel a little better knowing my club was running well than spewing money like...oh let's say...Leicester.

Last edited:

Fans complain about ticket prices? How novel.

Are you acting dim or are you genuinely ignorant of the fact that Arsenal's season ticket prices are the most expensive in the entire country, ranging from a grand to two grand?

Regardless of any other aspect of the club's operation their pricing policy is absolutely disgusting and offers no example of excellence to other clubs. To gloss over this point is asinine.

Are you acting dim or are you genuinely ignorant of the fact that Arsenal's season ticket prices are the most expensive in the entire country, ranging from a grand to two grand?

Regardless of any other aspect of the club's operation their pricing policy is absolutely disgusting and offers no example of excellence to other clubs. To gloss over this point is asinine.

I was unaware that their pricing is out of line with those of other clubs of a similar stature.

EDIT: This helped clear things up. Certainly a huge discrepancy does exist. It is interesting that Spurs are the closest to them. I genuinely wonder if geography has anything to do with it?

Stateside, for example, a Carolina Panthers ticket will run you an awful lot less than a New York Giants one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/22/premier-league-season-ticket-prices

I assume this is the article you referenced?

Last edited:
Re: Premie League 2012-13

Cheap.
Successful.
Sustainable.

Pick 2.

Most clubs will still only obtain 1 as a maximum.

Disagree with the praise of the way Arsenal are run tbh. Their approach at snatching "lesser" teams' talented players at a knock down price when they are 16 or 17 before they get good enough to go for huge money rather than bringing through their own players so they don't have to give much money to the team who develops these players has always seemed a bit lowly to me.

I certainly don't see it as a model of how clubs should be run, it's no wonder teams with great youth teams like Southampton who are producing their own players aren't doing as well as they should when there's ultimate youth sniffers like Arsenal around who wait for other teams to produce players before paying little to those teams. Can't say I have any sympathy when I see their own players like Van Perise and Fabregas go for cut down prices.

Last edited:
Disagree with the praise of the way Arsenal are run tbh. Their approach at snatching "lesser" teams' talented players at a knock down price when they are 16 or 17 before they get good enough to go for huge money rather than bringing through their own players so they don't have to give much money to the team who develops these players has always seemed a bit lowly to me.

I certainly don't see it as a model of how clubs should be run, it's no wonder teams with great youth teams like Southampton who are producing their own players aren't doing as well as they should when there's ultimate youth sniffers like Arsenal around who wait for other teams to produce players before paying little to those teams. Can't say I have any sympathy when I see their own players like Van Perise and Fabregas go for cut down prices.
That'll be the van Persie they bullied Feyenoord into accepting a tiny fee for, and the Fabregas they stole from Barcelona's academy?

That'll be the van Persie they bullied Feyenoord into accepting a tiny fee for, and the Fabregas they stole from Barcelona's academy?

Yep, exactly. Arsenal are pretty much the ultimate "sniffer" club and the ultimate example as to why "lesser" teams can't even be successful despite being a well run club and having a great youth system anymore, because as soon as you produce a 16 or 17 year old with potential teams like Arsenal snap them up while trying to be as stingy as possible and pay as little as they can to you, while Arsenal's own youth system is shocking and the worst of any of the PL big guns. Horrible club.

Last edited:
Yep, exactly. Arsenal are pretty much the ultimate "sniffer" club and the ultimate example as to why "lesser" teams can't even be successful despite being a well run club and having a great youth system anymore, because as soon as you produce a 16 or 17 year old with potential teams like Arsenal snap them up while trying to be as stingy as possible and pay as little as they can to you, while Arsenal's own youth system is shocking and the worst of any of the PL big guns. Horrible club.
Arsenal are reputed to have a file on more or less every player in world football. I forget who told the story, but I remember a few years ago someone saying they'd been to an obscure charity match in London and had been impressed by the Bangladeshi amateur who played in goal. When he mentioned the lad in question to Wenger, he seemed to know all about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669