Premier League 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Palace have got a much better chance of staying up now with Pulis... but would still think they'll go down

The standard of refereeing is simply awful. How Bolasie for Palace and Brown for Sunderland can have been sent off yesterday and then not Mirallas yesterday and Rooney today is mind boggling. Officials are asking for them to be respected, well they aren't going to get that any time soon if they keep making such awful decisions on a regular basis.

The standard of refereeing is simply awful. How Bolasie for Palace and Brown for Sunderland can have been sent off yesterday and then not Mirallas yesterday and Rooney today is mind boggling. Officials are asking for them to be respected, well they aren't going to get that any time soon if they keep making such awful decisions on a regular basis.

Agreed.

How we don't have some level of TV review in this day and age is madness.

Not to mention Medel's today! I've not seen the Bolasie one yet... Only got a glimpse of Brown's too, but that and Mirallas' looked like awful, awful decisions

The Bolasie one I can see really. The rest were very bad decisions though.

Are there more bad decisions lately or just more focus on them? Ref standards seem to be getting worse.

Are there more bad decisions lately or just more focus on them?

The latter. And it's not helped by the increasingly standardised approach that is now insisted upon. The phrase "in the opinion of the referee" counts for nothing in the modern world and where a referee's error would have once been discussed on the bus home or by a few blokes in a pub, there is now the facility for there to be a world-wide reaction.

The latter. And it's not helped by the increasingly standardised approach that is now insisted upon. The phrase "in the opinion of the referee" counts for nothing in the modern world and where a referee's error would have once been discussed on the bus home or by a few blokes in a pub, there is now the facility for there to be a world-wide reaction.

I would agree with you, but to me the referees seem to be making more basic errors than ever before. The problem is the sport has gone soft, everyone is going health & safety mad and it is absolutely ruining the game. I am quite young and even with my limited knowledge of football from the 90's I can see that the amount of tackles being let go by a referee are declining. Sure there are some horrendous tackles still going in, but in the majority of cases nowadays, a forceful tackle that wins the ball is deemed a foul or when two players go in for a 50/50 the one that comes off worse is given the free kick and that is wrong.

I place the blame partly with the referees who are making basic errors and majorly at the door of FIFA who are refusing to aid the officials when everyone can see the incident moments later on a screen. It really isn't rocket science. For instance if there is a decision the referee is unsure about wait until the ball has gone dead, or if it's a bad tackle and the referee can't decide between yellow or red, he blows his whistle and looks on the monitor for a replay to give the correct decision. It would take probably a minute, to get a decision correct that will influence the whole game.

These decisions are costing teams points. I don't believe in this whole 'it balances out over the course of a season' nonsense. It happens to every team yes, but some more than others and I believe if we got to the Premier League it would bite us in the backside more than the bigger teams.

Cardiff got away with it yesterday in more ways than one. Rooney should have been sent off, yet he had a hand in both the United goals. Mackay would have surely been furious had he not got anything from the game. Medel was another lucky boy, but the fact of the matter is you can't just say it's even because neither have been sent off. Rooney would not have scored and Evra would not have scored because Rooney wouldn't have been on the pitch. The game would have panned out differently had the correct decisions been made. It's frustrating to see the lack of bottle from some referees, but then the flip side is that others are too quick to send off players for nothing challenges.

I'm more than willing to be proved wrong by someone with a greater experience of the game than me, but this is simply my opinion.

I would agree with you, but to me the referees seem to be making more basic errors than ever before. The problem is the sport has gone soft, everyone is going health & safety mad and it is absolutely ruining the game. I am quite young and even with my limited knowledge of football from the 90's I can see that the amount of tackles being let go by a referee are declining. Sure there are some horrendous tackles still going in, but in the majority of cases nowadays, a forceful tackle that wins the ball is deemed a foul or when two players go in for a 50/50 the one that comes off worse is given the free kick and that is wrong.

I place the blame partly with the referees who are making basic errors and majorly at the door of FIFA who are refusing to aid the officials when everyone can see the incident moments later on a screen. It really isn't rocket science. For instance if there is a decision the referee is unsure about wait until the ball has gone dead, or if it's a bad tackle and the referee can't decide between yellow or red, he blows his whistle and looks on the monitor for a replay to give the correct decision. It would take probably a minute, to get a decision correct that will influence the whole game.

These decisions are costing teams points. I don't believe in this whole 'it balances out over the course of a season' nonsense. It happens to every team yes, but some more than others and I believe if we got to the Premier League it would bite us in the backside more than the bigger teams.

Cardiff got away with it yesterday in more ways than one. Rooney should have been sent off, yet he had a hand in both the United goals. Mackay would have surely been furious had he not got anything from the game. Medel was another lucky boy, but the fact of the matter is you can't just say it's even because neither have been sent off. Rooney would not have scored and Evra would not have scored because Rooney wouldn't have been on the pitch. The game would have panned out differently had the correct decisions been made. It's frustrating to see the lack of bottle from some referees, but then the flip side is that others are too quick to send off players for nothing challenges.

I'm more than willing to be proved wrong by someone with a greater experience of the game than me, but this is simply my opinion.

I'm glad there aren't tackles like in the 70s nearly as much now. Equally, the increase in money in the game makes players far more valuable assets and more worth protecting I'm the eyes of the game.

I'm glad there aren't tackles like in the 70s nearly as much now.

I know what you are saying, but as someone who went to games at that time I can't help thinking that the modern game lacks something that was present then.

As a defender, I hate that the vast majority of strong tackles are now deemed aggressive and unlawful. It's a contact sport, and I've yet to see any analysis that injuries have decreased as a result of no tackles from behind or 'full-blooded' challenges. It's ludicrous.

I sometimes get more enjoyment from watching a great tackle than a goal or piece of attacking play, but that is becoming less and less frequent.

There's a big difference between a dangerous tackle and a fair but aggressive tackle, and that line has become far too blurred.

As a defender, I hate that the vast majority of strong tackles are now deemed aggressive and unlawful. It's a contact sport, and I've yet to see any analysis that injuries have decreased as a result of no tackles from behind or 'full-blooded' challenges. It's ludicrous.

I sometimes get more enjoyment from watching a great tackle than a goal or piece of attacking play, but that is becoming less and less frequent.

There's a big difference between a dangerous tackle and a fair but aggressive tackle, and that line has become far too blurred.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670