Premier League 23/24

Fair play to them.

What a load of ****ing bollocks. Problem gambling affects less than 3% of people who gamble regularly.

Just because a few high profile cases of complete ****wits who piss away 1000s make the news doesn't mean it's a blight destroying society. Typical 21st century hysteria.

You'll notice that among all the howling & pearl clutching that is going to probably **** up my only remaining hobby when the govt's gambling white paper becomes law, absolutely nothing is going to change with regard to the ****ing lottery. The biggest idiot tax ever created.

It'll still be perfectly OK for people on low incomes to piss away 30 quid on scratchcards without any questions asked. Yet if I've lost a £125 in a fortnight I'll be asked to hand over bank statements & payslips to a ****ing bookmaker if I want to put 20 quid on a horse.

****ing hypocrites.

& before that stage is reached they try to reassure me that other checks will be "frictionless" in the form of a soft credit check. Well, that would be fine & ****ing dandy IF I was applying for credit. But I'm not. I'm spending money that I already have. It's my ****ing business what I choose to do with it. I've been an adult for over 40 years. I don't need to be treated like a bastard child.

& of course nobody cares.

But lets see what happens when they apply it to something else. When they extend it to other activities that larger numbers of people enjoy. Oh there'll be much wailing & bitching then I'll bet. Too ****ing late. Precedent will have been set & it's a slippery slope from there.

Scumbag politicians wagging their fingers at grown men & women & telling them what to spend their own money on. There should be riots in the streets FFS !

& the big step is just another of the growing number of groups composed of people who want to blame someone else for their own ****witted stupidity.

" I pissed away 10 grand at the bookies because I saw an ad for Betway on a football shirt, I'm a helpless victim "

No. You're a ****ing moron. & you're not my problem so **** off out of my life.

Properly funded mental health services are the proper route to treat addiction. How about funding it from...oh I don't know...the ****ing lottery maybe ?

But hey, maybe they're going down this route because alcohol prohibition & the war on drugs were such phenomenal successes ? :-/

Vacuous propaganda designed to make greed driven sociopathic incompetents look as if they give a shit.

Bullshit.

What a load of ****ing bollocks. Problem gambling affects less than 3% of people who gamble regularly.

Just because a few high profile cases of complete ****wits who piss away 1000s make the news doesn't mean it's a blight destroying society. Typical 21st century hysteria.

You'll notice that among all the howling & pearl clutching that is going to probably **** up my only remaining hobby when the govt's gambling white paper becomes law, absolutely nothing is going to change with regard to the ****ing lottery. The biggest idiot tax ever created.

It'll still be perfectly OK for people on low incomes to piss away 30 quid on scratchcards without any questions asked. Yet if I've lost a £125 in a fortnight I'll be asked to hand over bank statements & payslips to a ****ing bookmaker if I want to put 20 quid on a horse.

****ing hypocrites.

& before that stage is reached they try to reassure me that other checks will be "frictionless" in the form of a soft credit check. Well, that would be fine & ****ing dandy IF I was applying for credit. But I'm not. I'm spending money that I already have. It's my ****ing business what I choose to do with it. I've been an adult for over 40 years. I don't need to be treated like a bastard child.

& of course nobody cares.

But lets see what happens when they apply it to something else. When they extend it to other activities that larger numbers of people enjoy. Oh there'll be much wailing & bitching then I'll bet. Too ****ing late. Precedent will have been set & it's a slippery slope from there.

Scumbag politicians wagging their fingers at grown men & women & telling them what to spend their own money on. There should be riots in the streets FFS !

& the big step is just another of the growing number of groups composed of people who want to blame someone else for their own ****witted stupidity.

" I pissed away 10 grand at the bookies because I saw an ad for Betway on a football shirt, I'm a helpless victim "

No. You're a ****ing moron. & you're not my problem so **** off out of my life.

Properly funded mental health services are the proper route to treat addiction. How about funding it from...oh I don't know...the ****ing lottery maybe ?

But hey, maybe they're going down this route because alcohol prohibition & the war on drugs were such phenomenal successes ? :-/

Vacuous propaganda designed to make greed driven sociopathic incompetents look as if they give a shit.

Bullshit.
I'd partly agree but only partly.

Bookies have an almost unlimited pot to convince punters to gamble. It is addictive for a lot of people, no question about that.
It seems to me that there is a good argument to have (not necessarily the checks you are talking about) something or someone on the other side of what is definitely a social negative to warn people that there are actually some dangers around this.

Same arguments for junk food and Jamie Oliver's school dinner thing. Kids walk past 20 fast food adverts a day. Surely some balance on a product that everyone knows is unhealthy is a good idea?

For me it's a selfish reason. I just prefer to have sponsors on football shirts that are for material items and interesting brands rather than the only ones that can make the extreme profits that betting companies can.

I think there's a balance to be struck and, while you clearly enjoy your hobby, I don't imagine that your enjoyment is on the same scale as the damage done to those people who truly suffer as a result of the gambling industry so that balance should lean toward the preventitive.

At the very least though, I think there should be a total ban on gambling advertising and sponsorships, and a return to clouded glass at bookermakers' shops with local councils allowed to deny any and all licensing applications for bookmakers if they so wish. All of which any government that isn't feeding on the taxes paid by the industry could sensibly enact. It would also be nice to see the mobile phone stores return to not allowing gambling apps to have direct access, but that is probably wishful thinking.

The genie is out of the bottle on gambling now and it's not going back in.

It might be your hobby and it's not for anyone else to say what you can and can't enjoy, but there is a major problem in this country with problem gambling and saying nothing should be done because you haven't lost your house is basically the same argument the gun lobby makes in the US - aka, this thing is demonstrably negative for society, but because I haven't personally used my guns to kill, then why shouldn't I be allowed them?

What a load of ****ing bollocks.

Quite the opposite

The problem is in the thousands of people who haven't been put forward as high profile cases.

If you spend any time around the younger generation at games or down the pub you will see that gambling is a serious issue that has easily gotten worse since the ability to partake has been placed in everyone's hands.

I can't even watch a match in person without the lads in front of me being on their phones gambling on games all match long.

I know plenty of people who don't think they have a drink problem because they aren't smashing cans before work but I can absolutely guarantee they are alcohol dependant in some way or another, they are just oblivious as to how much.

You sound like you have a grip on your gambling, but do you really?

Pretty much echoing what others have said, I'm not against gambling as everyone should be free to make their own choices but I strongly detest how it is rammed down everyone's throat all the time.

Adults should know better but kids are extremely impressionable and they are exposed to it just as much if not more.

I think the problem starts even earlier than what we consider normal gambling - pretty much every computer game nowadays have some sort of 'loot boxes' where kids are essentially gambling on what extra item for a computer game they may get (one lad i worked with admitting to spending over £100 on Fifa Ultimate Team when he was 18, just to try and get Messi or Ronaldo.

What makes these even worse is that they are usually transacted using an in-game currency so the kids are desensitised from losing actual money.

Imo, there should be an outright ban on any gambling advertising and the 'loot boxes' need to be banned to as that is just essentially underage gambling.

I think there's a balance to be struck and, while you clearly enjoy your hobby, I don't imagine that your enjoyment is on the same scale as the damage done to those people who truly suffer as a result of the gambling industry so that balance should lean toward the preventitive.

At the very least though, I think there should be a total ban on gambling advertising and sponsorships, and a return to clouded glass at bookermakers' shops with local councils allowed to deny any and all licensing applications for bookmakers if they so wish. All of which any government that isn't feeding on the taxes paid by the industry could sensibly enact. It would also be nice to see the mobile phone stores return to not allowing gambling apps to have direct access, but that is probably wishful thinking.
The proposals are only about ONLINE gambling. Shops are completely unaffected. I struggle with mobility so getting to a shop isn't viable for me. Also I do a lot of trading & in play activity, you can't do that in a shop. Its all based on completely the wrong info & targeted to affect the wrong people. Typical political project, designed just to make it look as if something is being done, then move on to the next bullshit obsession.

Pretty much echoing what others have said, I'm not against gambling as everyone should be free to make their own choices but I strongly detest how it is rammed down everyone's throat all the time.

Adults should know better but kids are extremely impressionable and they are exposed to it just as much if not more.

I think the problem starts even earlier than what we consider normal gambling - pretty much every computer game nowadays have some sort of 'loot boxes' where kids are essentially gambling on what extra item for a computer game they may get (one lad i worked with admitting to spending over £100 on Fifa Ultimate Team when he was 18, just to try and get Messi or Ronaldo.

What makes these even worse is that they are usually transacted using an in-game currency so the kids are desensitised from losing actual money.

Imo, there should be an outright ban on any gambling advertising and the 'loot boxes' need to be banned to as that is just essentially underage gambling.
& as I say, this act won't affect ANY of that. I agree that the in game stuff should be banned completely but it's exempt in the same way as the lottery is. I regularly stand behind people in shops who clearly don't have money, buying 20/30 quids worth of scratch cards on payday. But of course because that subsidises projects that otherwise govt would have to pay for they turn a blind eye. It's the lottery more than anything in the last 30 years that has driven gambling into the mainstream but it'll never be regulated as govts love it. As I said, ****ing hypocricy.

Quite the opposite

The problem is in the thousands of people who haven't been put forward as high profile cases.

If you spend any time around the younger generation at games or down the pub you will see that gambling is a serious issue that has easily gotten worse since the ability to partake has been placed in everyone's hands.

I can't even watch a match in person without the lads in front of me being on their phones gambling on games all match long.

I know plenty of people who don't think they have a drink problem because they aren't smashing cans before work but I can absolutely guarantee they are alcohol dependant in some way or another, they are just oblivious as to how much.

You sound like you have a grip on your gambling, but do you really?
Of course I do. My betting accounts have been using the same recycled money for over a decade. I haven't added a penny to the total from outside since 2012. It has zero affect on any other money that pays for my everyday life. It basically occupies the same space as a savings account does.

The problem is the legislation will only affect people like me who know what they're doing. The vulnerable will be completely missed, thats what people don't get. Because people who think they understand the betting process actually don't. That includes the gambling commision as the stream of drivel they've been spewing out for the last 2 years amply proves.

It will help nobody. Those it's designed to help will simply find another outlet because they don't care about the process or figuring things out. They're just addicts & they need to gamble.

1695968733697.png
“Premier League offers new rights”

Followed by “we’re putting more games on but only at the times fans hate a bit, not a lot”

modern football has nothing to do with the fans. Awful.

I know really nothing about gambling. I have never been in a bookies or placed a bet.

I can see that if you have an addictive personality it would potentially be very harmful to get hooked in. I really don’t think banning advertising is an encroachment on anyone’s human rights. You can still do it if you are minded to.

Suggestion is a powerful thing. If it didn’t work these betting companies wouldn’t seemingly own the wall to wall advertising on sports TV. If banning it saves even one person’s livelihood (or even their life) I’m for it. If you have a handle on your own gambling by all means crack on. Loss of the advertising won’t affect you. You’ve already decided. They aren’t trying to convince you of the merits.

In other news I just heard a teenager yell ‘**** the feds’ at a police officer.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663