Premier League 23/24

He seemed extremely “done” yesterday.

Not sure what else he expected by joining Spurs.
A platform.

Everyone in football knows exactly what Spurs are & are not. Get them to progress,even a little & people take note. He's boosted his CV by getting them to within a game of CL qualification. You could win the league every year at Celtic & no top 4 club in the PL would give a monkey's but turn Spurs into a team with a chance & that's different.

If the new regime at Man U have any ****ing clue whatsoever there'll be a vacancy there in a week or two.
If Pochettino fails to get Chelsea into the top 4 next season he'll be gone.
If whoever gets the Liverpool job has a nightmare start the same applies.

Ange is sitting pretty.

& of course he's basically just announced that he's unsettled on national TV "come get me, boys ( wink wink")

He's not stupid.

Plus of course plenty of decent clubs on the continent will be looking around in the summer & beyond.

Amazing isn't it?

Every other sport that's introduced video tech has managed to do it in such a way that it enhances the game.
Football manages to produce a complete ****ing atrocity that ruins the game.

All we've basically had is a bunch of refs just covering each others arses. & giving offsides because a player's ****ing toenail is beyond the line. **** off.

& linesmen? (I will NEVER use the ludicrous "assistant ref" title to dignify these endlessly useless ****s) None of them even want to give a flag anymore & just leave it up to VAR. Abdicating responsibility completely.

Goal line tech is enough. **** everything else off, train linesmen better (same for refs...if we don't then the next generation of pro refs will be just indecisive dickheads who'll leave everything up to VAR) We put up with the inevitable mistakes for over a century. We can do so again.

linesmen? (I will NEVER use the ludicrous "assistant ref" title to dignify these endlessly useless ****s) None of them even want to give a flag anymore & just leave it up to VAR. Abdicating responsibility completely.
That's what they're instructed to do.

This season has been a breath of fresh air, when it comes to celebrating a goal.

Be interesting to see the outcome of this vote.

The worry I have is we go from games ruined by incompetent VAR mistakes to one of games ruined by incompetent referee mistakes, lose - lose either way.

I think the automatic offside decision-making system will improve things significantly due to the almost instant computerised factual decision-making process … as long as it works!

I would also like the rest of the VAR system to be re-invented, not refined, with the aim of producing correct decisions as opposed to overturing clear and obvious errors. Encourage the VAR team to make their own decisions quickly and if that decision differs from the referees, then tell him to have another look on the screen. I would have a lot more respect for the system if the referees used the screens a little more.

As others have said VAR enhances other sports, in football however it has the opposite effect, IMO primarily because it tries to protect the referee rather than produce correct decisions.

The worry I have is we go from games ruined by incompetent VAR mistakes to one of games ruined by incompetent referee mistakes, lose - lose either way.

I think the automatic offside decision-making system will improve things significantly due to the almost instant computerised factual decision-making process … as long as it works!

I would also like the rest of the VAR system to be re-invented, not refined, with the aim of producing correct decisions as opposed to overturing clear and obvious errors. Encourage the VAR team to make their own decisions quickly and if that decision differs from the referees, then tell him to have another look on the screen. I would have a lot more respect for the system if the referees used the screens a little more.

As others have said VAR enhances other sports, in football however it has the opposite effect, IMO primarily because it tries to protect the referee rather than produce correct decisions.
I think that’s very reasonable.

The incredibly stupid thing about VAR protecting referees is that the majority of fans would welcome a decision being overturned if the ref got it wrong, there’s no issue there as far as I’m concerned.

The issue is as you say VAR trying to validate the indefensible.

I reckon that must win the award for the most drama free day of football ever. Man City picked up the trophy they paid for in July, for the 4th year in a row. Same as they will for the next decade.

Arsenal very nearly managed to lose out by even more than the couple of points it's been obvious they'd lose by since they lost to Villa.

Absolutely nothing else happened anywhere.

Got to love Arsenal. Beat Villa & they would have been champions.

Villa were shit going into that game & they've been shit since. Hilarious & definitely counts in my book as yet another North London bottle job.

Same again next season chaps.

I reckon that must win the award for the most drama free day of football ever. Man City picked up the trophy they paid for in July, for the 4th year in a row. Same as they will for the next decade.

Come on mate, we're not going to win the league with that attitude.

Silliness aside, I think next just will be even easier for Manchester City. Arsenals season was this season and they finished runners up. Next year they will be very much meh. The other realistic challengers are all in a state of transition so won't lay a glove on Manchester City.

Arsenal very nearly managed to lose out by even more than the couple of points it's been obvious they'd lose by since they lost to Villa.

Absolutely nothing else happened anywhere.

Got to love Arsenal. Beat Villa & they would have been champions.

Villa were shit going into that game & they've been shit since. Hilarious & definitely counts in my book as yet another North London bottle job.

Same again next season chaps.
Arsenal won 16 of 18 games this year. They didn’t exactly fall apart did they?

I don’t like Man City’s dominance but you can’t argue they just sauntered to the league this year (though it looked straightforward)

Yes they will win it again next year though. Principally because everyone is so scared that no one has a go.

Ipswich - Premier League champions 2024/5.

Arsenal won 16 of 18 games this year. They didn’t exactly fall apart did they?

I don’t like Man City’s dominance but you can’t argue they just sauntered to the league this year (though it looked straightforward)

Yes they will win it again next year though. Principally because everyone is so scared that no one has a go.
No they didn't fall apart.

But they ****ed up the one chance they had. As soon as it was advantage to Man City after Arsenal lost to Villa it was all over. Same as when Liverpool lost out by a point when both teams just kept winning. Technically a close finish but we all knew what the ending would be.

Arsenal took 4 points off Man City over the season & still finished behind them. Same as Leeds beat us twice & still finished adrift. Losing games you should win is the difference. Villa were rubbish before winning at Arsenal & rubbish after. Those results are what kill you as Man City almost never drop points against middling teams & when they do it tends to be early in the season.
From New Year onwards they just win & keep winning as their squad depth comes into play. Same as Bayern in Germany & Real in Spain. Boring as ****. There'll be a blip some day like when Liverpool won it but it won't last & as you say it'll probably be a long way off as the others teams will be weaker, relatively speaking for the next couple of years at least.
Some ****wit on the net was trying the other week to suggest that Man City might drop off due to De Bruyne going into decline amongst other things. He seems to not have noticed that the ****er has missed great big chunks of the last 2 seasons & it hasn't made a jot of difference to where the title ends up.

People are just desperate to believe there's hope. There isn't.

Unless Newcastle win the league. & who the **** wants that ?

Just get the Super League up & running & **** it all off. I'll find the demise of the PL extremely amusing now.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663