Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm growing more concerned about the impact of this virus as time goes on. I now see that getting over the virus may not be the end of it for people. Re-infection appears to be possible, at a minimum it can be suppressed and re-emerge. It appears that those that have been infected even with mild symtoms may not be over it.

Even then, the impact of the virus may be quite damaging. Weakened lungs can be exposed by a multitude of future conditions.

Isolation is a start but all we're doing is containing the virus for a while. Until there is a fully effective treatment that can be fully tested and given to us all, normality cannot exist. That appears to be a year away at best.

In this context, I just can't see how there can be any football for a very long time. Not behind closed doors, let alone with crowds. Suggestions that I've seen just don't seem to align to what we know at this point. It's cloud cuckoo land thinking.

Football is a multi billion pound industry and many of us would love nothing more than to be able to watch a game or go down to the ground. The reality is that it is highly likely that at least someone has died as a direct result of going to the match against Villa on 9th March. I don't want any football to be considered until it is safe. So, in this context, yes it is only a game.

I think that the 20/21 season may as well be written off. It isn't going to happen. We will re-emerge at some point to finish off the 19/20 season and then, depending on the timescale, we'll move forward with whatever makes sense.

The consquence of all this on the entire economy is immense. Our club is not immune to this and King Power will be damaged massively due to the nature of their business. Without Vichai leading the company, they are very vulnerable to being attacked by competitors. What that means for our club is unknown but to pretend that we'll get through this without serious consequences is madness. Football will emerge from this but I predict that it won't be the same game with the same players and even the same clubs. For example, we may have seen Vardy's last goal for Leicester. If you don't think this is possible, you're simply not seeing quite how serious this is.

;)
I'm growing more concerned about the impact of this virus as time goes on. I now see that getting over the virus may not be the end of it for people. Re-infection appears to be possible, at a minimum it can be suppressed and re-emerge. It appears that those that have been infected even with mild symtoms may not be over it.

Even then, the impact of the virus may be quite damaging. Weakened lungs can be exposed by a multitude of future conditions.

Isolation is a start but all we're doing is containing the virus for a while. Until there is a fully effective treatment that can be fully tested and given to us all, normality cannot exist. That appears to be a year away at best.

In this context, I just can't see how there can be any football for a very long time. Not behind closed doors, let alone with crowds. Suggestions that I've seen just don't seem to align to what we know at this point. It's cloud cuckoo land thinking.

Football is a multi billion pound industry and many of us would love nothing more than to be able to watch a game or go down to the ground. The reality is that it is highly likely that at least someone has died as a direct result of going to the match against Villa on 9th March. I don't want any football to be considered until it is safe. So, in this context, yes it is only a game.

I think that the 20/21 season may as well be written off. It isn't going to happen. We will re-emerge at some point to finish off the 19/20 season and then, depending on the timescale, we'll move forward with whatever makes sense.

The consquence of all this on the entire economy is immense. Our club is not immune to this and King Power will be damaged massively due to the nature of their business. Without Vichai leading the company, they are very vulnerable to being attacked by competitors. What that means for our club is unknown but to pretend that we'll get through this without serious consequences is madness. Football will emerge from this but I predict that it won't be the same game with the same players and even the same clubs. For example, we may have seen Vardy's last goal for Leicester. If you don't think this is possible, you're simply not seeing quite how serious this is.
Does being so positive keep you going?

You may or may not be correct but there's no way the world can survive on lockdown for more than a few months anything longer will be financial carnage that would never be recovered from, so at some point regardless of the risks business will open up as normal probably bit by bit.
Football will be part of that process due to the money involved & the amount of people that work connected to the industry, so I can't see football being postponed for more than another 6 weeks or so.

A very realistic appraisal of the current and future situation. I've hardly thought of football since the lockdown. It's no longer that important to me and so many others. If I survive, hopefully one day it will be.

Football and some other sports galvanise people and create hope and something to look forward to.

People need hope and a light at the end of the tunnel. Football can be that light where people need it.

I have really missed it this last few weeks. I’m sure there are many millions around the world that feel the same.

Football and some other sports galvanise people and create hope and something to look forward to.

People need hope and a light at the end of the tunnel. Football can be that light where people need it.

I have really missed it this last few weeks. I’m sure there are many millions around the world that feel the same.
That's ok. I love football as much as anyone. My all consuming effort is making sure I don't catch the virus. Not concerned with anything else.

That's ok. I love football as much as anyone. My all consuming effort is making sure I don't catch the virus. Not concerned with anything else.
I completely understand and appreciate that.

It’s also an industry that employs tens of thousands of people and generates tax revenue in the billions. “It’s a game” is absurdly simplistic.
Yes it is, but so is saying going ahead behind closed doors is better than voiding the season. Voiding the season won't cost any lives, resuming the season in September won't cost any lives. It doesn't need to go ahead at any cost any more than airlines need bailing out at any cost etc.

;)
Does being so positive keep you going?

As you well know by now, I live to bring joy to the world!

I know what I posted is depressing and I'd love nothing more than to be wrong. However, I just cannot for the life of me see what the feck these imbeciles going on about restarting training and playing out the season behind closed doors are thinking. When you look at the evidence, it's way beyond NP telling that journalist that he's an ostrich.

Sky Sports Cricket did a great thing this weekend getting the key players online to talk through great matches. It was brilliant. Football should do something similar. I'd love to hear (say) Ranieri and Schmeichel talk through one of the key title winning season games. That's about all we can hope for over the next few months I'm afraid.

Maybe it’s more of a focus for players than the fans.
If we had all gone in lockdown and been told that’s it for 3 months, I reckon sone of the players would not be as disciplined in their actions as others.
GTF would look slim compared to some returnees

The emphasis seems to be on getting the season done, with the eyes on starting the 20/21 campaign in a reasonable time frame. Personally I would sooner they truncate next season in some way, in order to finish the current campaign safely.
Not sure the best way forward, but possibly scrapping the League Cup for one season or the Champions and Europa Leagues being just straight knockouts instead of the league format.
Whatever happens it looks pretty short odds that next season will need to be looked at with a different format in mind.

The emphasis seems to be on getting the season done, with the eyes on starting the 20/21 campaign in a reasonable time frame. Personally I would sooner they truncate next season in some way, in order to finish the current campaign safely.
Not sure the best way forward, but possibly scrapping the League Cup for one season or the Champions and Europa Leagues being just straight knockouts instead of the league format.
Whatever happens it looks pretty short odds that next season will need to be looked at with a different format in mind.
Money will dictate what happens with regards to format for next season. There’s no way the broadcasters, who fund most of the Champions League income, will sign up to fewer games.

Plus where have you been for the last 5+ years?

Just scrap the Euros and World Cup ffs. Play a timetable that eventually matches up with an August start to the season at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363