Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those old enough to remember, just google ' benny crossroads spanner'

Time seems to have changed things on here. It looks like a fair few of the old regulars have disappeared.
I imagine most have never heard of me, and the rest don't care:003:

Anyway, thought I would just have a pop back
I think you’ll find there’s a fair few here from when you were posting. Welcome back anyway :023:

Pools Panel to determine the outcome of the final games

Either that, or Mark Lawrenson

Sorted

Why are player contracts driving proposals? It's nonsensical to me.

93 league games, plus 7 FAC games, plus all European matches are still to be played. Not to mention 100s below Premier League level.

All will require ambulance and police presence. All will contravene social distancing rules for hundreds of people even if played behind closed doors. Just watch the explanation from Merkel today to understand how stupid this is.

When a player gets injured, will a hospital be available to take them in? Is it fair to proceed if some teams are affected by missing players due to the virus? Will a player coughing on the pitch be a sending off offence?

It would be more logical to give all the managers a month to practice and then play out the season on FIFA.

I have a Tree supporting mate who knows Michael Dawson. Apparently Forest players have been asked to prepare for return to training 18/5 and expect to play games behind closed doors (for quite a while) from beginning of June.

Can't read the full article as it's behind a firewall. Does it say anything that isn't in the Guardian article?

Can't read the full article as it's behind a firewall. Does it say anything that isn't in the Guardian article?
At least half the clubs in the Premier League will push for the season to finish on July 1, even if it does not leave enough time to play all the remaining games, in what could be a pivotal meeting tomorrow.

While there had been a collective desire to complete the season, however long it took, club executives now fear that the matter of expiring player and staff contracts is becoming impossible to resolve. “We are in danger of entering chaos territory,” a Premier League club insider told The Times.

Fifa has introduced measures enabling clubs to extend contracts for players whose deals are due to expire on June 30. But legal experts have said this is impossible to enforce under English employment law without the player’s consent, enabling them to leave if they have a move to another club lined up.

For many clubs, negotiations with players over wage deferrals are proving difficult enough, but the contract situation is causing greater angst. It has led, The Times understands, to at least half the clubs entering private discussions about a proposal to draw a line under this season on July 1, however late matches resume. With the government expected to extend the lockdown until at least May 7, it is unlikely that clubs would return to action much before the start of June, even if matches are played behind closed doors.

Nevertheless, there is confidence among some executives that the 14-club majority required to push through such a proposal under Premier League rules would be achieved if it went to a vote that would be held at a later date.

11908095136205837400.png

There are 92 remaining Premier League fixtures. While clubs recognise an incomplete season could undermine the integrity of the 2019-20 season, they regard the potential movement of players before all the matches have been played as even more damaging.

However, clubs have not had any discussions about how a final table — which would govern European places, relegation and payments for finishing in each position — would be agreed, a matter that is likely to prove controversial. There is also a feeling that if the season cannot start before mid-June, there is no point in starting and then stopping a couple of weeks later.

As The Times reported last week, players including Pedro and Willian, of Chelsea, Bournemouth’s Ryan Fraser and Jan Vertonghen, of Tottenham Hotspur, would be able to defy the Fifa directives and leave their clubs before the season has been completed. Fifa said contracts could be “extended until such time that the season does actually end”, with the player’s present club taking precedence over a new employer and a recognition that the contracts are timed for the traditional end of one season and the start of another. Fifa recognises that employment law in each country could be a factor and sports lawyers have outlined the difficulties of enforcing the measures. Nick de Marco, QC, who has been appointed by the Professional Footballers’ Association to advise on contractual matters, told Sky Sports that “legally, they cannot be forced to continue to play for the club”.

Premier League clubs are continuing to thrash out wage deferral agreements with their players to mitigate the financial impact of the pandemic.

Members of Arsenal’s executive committee have volunteered to waive a third of their salaries over the next year in a move that will increase pressure on their players to take deferrals. The decision of all 14 executives, including the head of football, Raul Sanllehi, and the managing director, Vinai Venkatesham, to forgo a percentage of their salary was announced with confirmation that no staff will be furloughed.

On Monday the first-team squad rejected a proposal for players to take a 12.5 per cent reduction in salaries over the next 12 months. Arsenal’s players will only accept an offer to defer wages, with total player salaries standing at £16 million, but the club says discussions have been “productive” so far. Southampton and West Ham United are the only Premier League clubs to have agreed deferrals.

The Times understands that one club towards the bottom of the table has proposed a deferral deal in which players would only be reimbursed fully should they stay in the Premier League

Newcastle United and Norwich City are the only Premier League clubs using the government’s scheme, after U-turns by Liverpool, Spurs and Bournemouth. Arsenal say they will not be using the scheme.

The Arsenal defender David Luiz says Mikel Arteta, who has been setting players “homework”, has the potential to become one of the world’s best coaches. “I always had the dream of working with [Pep] Guardiola,” Luiz said in an interview with ESPN Brazil. “I couldn’t work with him, but I’m having the opportunity to work with a person who learnt and was victorious with him, who has the same ideas.”

Meanwhile, Newport County, of League Two, yesterday furloughed their players, management team and most staff.

The SPFL’s proposal to end the lower league season in Scotland was finally given the go-ahead yesterday after Dundee voted in favour of the plan. Their original ‘no’ vote was not received in time to count last Friday but yesterday they said yes to the plan which means the Championship, League One and League Two end immeditately. The Premiership could follow suit, wich could mean Celtic being handed their ninth successive title.

How to work out table if season is not completed

Premier League clubs are pushing for the season to end on July 1 regardless of whether the remaining fixtures can be completed. Given that not all teams have played the same number of games, a formula will need to be devised to resolve key issues such as the Champions League places and relegation. With Manchester City banned from Europe next season, fifth place would ensure Champions League football. Bill Edgar outlines three ways the final table could be calculated.

Option one

Points per game

The most straightforward way to calculate the standings, with teams’ current points totals divided by their games played to give a points per game figure. The only change to the current table would be Sheffield United and Arsenal, who each have a game

in hand on most of their rivals, leapfrogging Wolves and Tottenham. Goal difference is used to separate any teams level on points per game, so Watford and West Ham would be saved, with Bournemouth going down.

Champions League places Liverpool, Leicester City, Chelsea, Man Utd
Europa League place Sheffield United
Relegated Bournemouth, Aston Villa, Norwich City

Option two
First meetings this season

Only matches from the first 19 rounds of fixtures are counted to avoid differences in opposition — for example some teams have played strong sides such as Liverpool and Manchester City twice, while others have only faced them once.

The problem with this method is that it does not account for current form, meaning that Watford would be relegated based on poor results before their upturn in fortunes after Nigel Pearson arrived

in December.

Champions League places Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Man Utd
Europa League place Sheffield United
Relegated Aston Villa, Watford, Norwich City

Option three
Predict the remaining fixtures

Teams’ home and away form this season can be used to predict any unplayed game. For each fixture, the home team’s average points per home game is compared with the away team’s average points per away game, with extra weighting for the past five home and away matches respectively.

If one team’s figure is at least 0.2 greater than the other, they are winners. Otherwise, the match is drawn. Under this model Sheffield United versus Wolves, which was due to be played on Sunday, would go down as a home win — with United having an average home points score of 1.8 and Wolves an away score of 1.4.

Champions League places Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Sheffield United
Europa League place Man Utd
Relegated Watford, Aston Villa, Norwich

Thanks Blaarev, I was just in the process of copying the article, when I noticed you'd already done it :023:

All three of those options work for me

We make the Champions League
Villa get relegated
If Man City manage to delay their ban (which I think they will), Man Utd don’t make the Champions League
Liverpool are handed the title without actually winning it - meaning their title win will be forever tainted and ridiculed by everyone

For those old enough to remember, just google ' benny crossroads spanner'

Time seems to have changed things on here. It looks like a fair few of the old regulars have disappeared.
I imagine most have never heard of me, and the rest don't care:003:

Anyway, thought I would just have a pop back
Hello mate hope you are keeping welĺ

All three of those options work for me

We make the Champions League
Villa get relegated
If Man City manage to delay their ban (which I think they will), Man Utd don’t make the Champions League
Liverpool are handed the title without actually winning it - meaning their title win will be forever tainted and ridiculed by everyone

I read somewhere that because teams in the main have 9 games left so some have more away games than others the average points should be taken separately for home and away games and then added together wouldn’t make much difference at the top end but this would relegate W Ham Villa & Norwich

I read somewhere that because teams in the main have 9 games left so some have more away games than others the average points should be taken separately for home and away games and then added together wouldn’t make much difference at the top end but this would relegate W Ham Villa & Norwich
Even better.

I'm loving how these scenarios turn out.

If we can get Villa and WHam relegated and us going on a European tour then i'll crack out the ****ing party poppers.

In reality there is no way they will allow Wet Spam to go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363