Preston Match Thread (cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with many of the MATCH assessments above. But come on; get a sense of perspective. This was not a do or die event. Either you go out in the first round of this thing (and save your players legs) or you win it (and get a bit of cash and a little glory).

Losing a League Cup tie is not, has not and never will be a sackable offence. Get real boneheads!

Nottingham Fox said:
How does Jordan Stewart worm his way into our fcking team ?? He has to be the most undeserved player to put the blue shirt on and week in week out he proves how sh1t he is.

Has a nice lamborghini though, he parked it outside the Walkers yesterday - better then MA's ferrari.

Leigh said:
6751 attendance officially..

I was the closest with my prediction of 6,666

For once I agree with Chandler.

This match meant shit (and was, actually, completely shit).
But the attitude of some of the players meant everything - especially to us mugs who showed up. We made the effort, but most of the players didn't.

My main gripe is that this was a lost opportunity on all counts.
An opportunity for Mickeh to change tactics/formation/approach to a game, but he didn't and we looked terrible after they scored
An opportunity to play with freedom, without a nervous baying crowd on their back. We looked like a bunch of schoolboys
A real opportunity for Tommy Wright to show what he has got. He had a complete mare

On the positive side Blake actually looked OK. He took his opportunity to play from the start, and he led the line well. And Elliott took his opportunity to prove that he has a key role this season - particularly as Dabizas was demonstrating that he really could not be bothered.

But at the end of the night, it was another miserable trudge back to the car and another night of miserable, passionless unimaginative football.

I hope Connolly got more passion on his wedding night, or he is in big trouble.

homer said:
For once I agree with Chandler.

This match meant shit (and was, actually, completely shit).
But the attitude of some of the players meant everything - especially to us mugs who showed up. We made the effort, but most of the players didn't.

Spot on Homer. The match meant next to nothing - partly because the next round brought a more than difficult away fixture against an Everton side that will take the competition seriously as a realistic European route.

The people who turned up last night are real supporters - I couldn't face it, I would have been bored out of my mind.

However, we are in a very low state and my money is on this situation lasting all season until its time for the club to try to sell STs.

I may be wrong if things unravel faster than anticipated but that's how it feels at the moment. A dead season with a walking dead manager and a squad that's sussed him and Corky some time ago.

i went to the game (unfortunately). i sat just behind the city dugout. The look on MA's face was that of a man who has just lost his patience and cannot be bothered anymore. i didn't seeone smile all night, no matter what position you are in - the manager should be enjoying his job. he showed no passion he just didn't care.

THE GAME

there was a bit of energy about us at the beginning but that soon faded. we were put under pressure and had no reply for them. preston are a team that are supposed to be around the bottom of the table but we (as we've done many times this season) made them look good.

The goal was inevitable and so was the scorer, cresswell was up for it all game. Dabizas just cannot organise a defence and MA was right to sub him (elliot played really well). as soon as the change was made there were hardly any mistakes in defence, surey we need him to start so we hve organisation?

Tommy Wright, faught hard the entire time he was on but was highly ineffective - i just dont think he will be good enough. i was disappointed not to see any of the other young lads out there cos it was the perfect oppurtunity.

You coould draw a straight line From one penalty area to the other dow the middle of the pitch and GUARANTEE that williams was following it all night! he didn't come for one throw in. Gudjonsson was alays there, he was up for it, fighting away, wanting the ball. has williams had special orders to stay in the middle of the park ALL the time? he just doesn't seem to do much for the team. Nalis would be a better choice ATM.

we got the pen from gareth williams (down the centre again) and it was clearly ared card offence as he was the last man. i expexted joey to blast it in but was pleasantly suprised when he neatly slotted it into the corner.

Its a real shame that we need a 1-man advantage to start playing football. and also that the team didn't seem to get worked up after the "fuss" like the fans did. surely if that didn't get them going then nothing can.

like i said, we started to play SOME good football but with no finish product.by the time we scored again the tempo had gone down again noody expected it to go in - it was blake after all! me and my dad were getting very oncerned that PNE were still getting oppurtunities to score. if it wasn't for pressman then we would have got hammered!

Their striker - Smith - was quite good he was very hungry for it albeit very annoying. provided a constant threat. then the inevitable they get a pen in the last minute when egg-head makes another mistake.

The rest was all obvious before it happened. the team had no drive, no passion, no willingness to fight. we deserve to lose if we play like this.

I think we need to get used to the idea of being in this division for a while if we cant beat 10 lower class men at home with a near full strength squad.

I'd just like to say well done to Kevin Pressman. i thik he's proved everybody wrong about his ability. he's still very handy between the sticks and deserves recognition for his performances. (except that goal)

homer said:
I hope Connolly got more passion on his wedding night, or he is in big trouble.

With the lack of scoring ability he's shown this season, I doubt his wife had much fun on the wedding night

He does seem to shoot too early
And he doesn't do anything special when he's in the box

But maybe he does enough work outside of the box to justify his position as groom

i bet she pulled a ligament...several times

i saw homer237 standing up as well....

How can anyone say blake did well, he managed to score, but he cost us more by being on the pitch than he contributed
He also managed to block a brilliant shot by williams
Miss headed a ball that was two yards out of their goal
Miss kicked the ball about ten times
I conceed he passes three times, to a leicester player (a few more to PNE)

But

In the 88 minute when Gillespie made one of those rare runs down the right wing that he does so well, skining a couple of players on the way and with the ball deep into the corner and a defender up his back side, Gillespie made a magnificent cross into the area ready for a striker to head home, scowy was running to get there. Blake? Well
As this perfect cross came over from Gillespie, blake crosses the white line into the penalty area, he was not running, he was not jogging, he was not even walking quickly, he was meandering. Gillespie worked his nuts off to get the ball there was blake just casually strolled into the area.
No attempt to get the ball. No respect for what Gillespie had done, No respect for ma, the fans or city, meandering.

Now, I could understand it if Gillespie never produces another run like that for Blake, equally I could understand it if Gillespie never produces another run like that for a manager who supports Blake.

Taking that a stage further

If I was a player that was working very hard to achieve a result and some others around me did very little, I would become rather frustrated with my lazzier team mates. Actually I would become very pizzed off that my hard work is being squandered by my team mates, feeling worst when opertunities went to waste. When we lose games that I knew we should have won, I would start to get effing pizzed off with my manager who insists in selecting the lazy/ crap players.

Eventually. I become demotivated, I see lazyness and poor football being rewarded, my role is then unclear (do I work or not) and I become even more frustrated. It is only a matter of time before my sub-conciously takes over and the angry sets in. I may even take out my anger on the opposition players and get yellow card by the sackfull.

The problem is not at the players

foxes1970 said:
Leigh said:
DesertFox said:
Sounds like there's twice as many people at the rugby tonight...

Rugby reserves as well.

My mate who's stumped up the £12 reckons try knocking 1000 off that estimated attendance of 4500. Just texted him to tell him tigers reserves have got a crowd of over 9000.

He's just glad he made the decision to be there and watch quality football :wink:

I was at the Tigers Reserves game on monday. My mate offered me a free ticket to the football which he had spare, but I turned him down saying "Nah thanks, would rather watch a game where the players actually want to win, even if they lose!"

as you know i don't visit our cathedral of sporting excellence as often as i feel i should. I have in the past and will in the future, i'm taking a sabatical whilst my darling children still find me interesting. :roll:

i bloody hated monday night.
some chav with his 10 year old obnoxious kids were in my seat. thought m came after n... :roll:
when they finally moved i had a great view of the dad texting his mates, bird, wife, mum (possibly one and the same person...) and not watching the game at all. whilst his loud mouthed kids shouted ridiculous comments at players not involved in that particular period of play or telling the ref that he may as well put on his white shirt...( blue tinted specs off, i thought the ref had a good game.)

behind me was a 12 year old girl, if she achieves 'special needs' status i'd be surprised.. all she did was shout "shoot" all fecking game. Had i been packing my piece i would have obliged and terminated her pointless existance.

the girls in the 1884 sports bar were without doubt the most miserable group of people who work in the retail sector i've ever seen...ever.

homework with the kids takes me a way for a while. second installment coming later.. :roll:

You should have sat and smoked twenty Bensons
They might have moved then

but i could only smoke up to 5 mins before kick off and at half time....what a ridiculous idea...

anyway...
i heard 2 or 3 people around me booing pieman when he had his first couple of touches...crazy :roll:

the ladbrokes guy in the 1884 bar didn't have any change when i placed a bet... :roll:

after the warm up Blake walked back down the tunnel, totally ignoring his fan base (limited at best) calling for his signature..half a dozen teenagers..how long would that have taken? :roll:

the woman on my right just kept calling cresswell a poof and a ballerina all game and on the introduction of matty, creamed her knickers because 'at least he still knew how to play football'. ( she was totally unaware of cresswell's hattrick at the end) :roll:

the 12 year old chavs running to the PNE bus because they were making noise and they won.
worse, the 35 year old tattooed, pierced bloke who didn't, but just shouted and gestured (violently) from 200 yards away :roll:

i did actually have my mojo, i decided to go at about 2pm and was excited about it, but all the reported events eventually took all the joy away. :cry:

why do i still love leicester?

As I have said on many occasions, we are regressing back to the 80s. :? :? :roll: :roll:

5hite.. i've become my dad... :shock:

I mean going back to a time when we had indifferent Managers and Players and no ambition or money. Dark grim days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669