Private Car Park - Parking Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Notts - I hadn't seen your post when writing my last offering above. It reinforces my view not to pay up.
According to the 'Approved list of parking operators' - this cowboy outfit you have mentioned are not on there. As many other have pointed out, just ignore their letters (you might get a few and they may even appear to sound like they will take you to court) - the reality is they won't, so just forget about it.
I agree. As I understand it, most cases that have actually ended up in court have been thrown out, as the general consensus of case law is that they are only entitled to be compensated for what they could have made from a reasonable car parking rate, so their inflated claims get thrown out. A girl at work got a ticket whilst trying to save money parking at the local hospital. She got three letters from them ( none of which she replied to ) and they gave up trying. They are only interested in those who they think they can get to pay up. They don't want to go to court because they know they will lose and it will set a precedent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had two of these one for overstaying in a supermarket car park and one for not parking wholly in a designated bay when visiting a friend in an apartment block. Several people I work with have also had them for overstaying when parking in supermarkets.

Just ignore them, they will send more threatening letters as time goes by. As long as you don't make any contact with them they will go away. If you contact them in any way be prepared for a fight. They cannot pass this on to a debt agency if the can't prove who the driver was.

The crux of the matter is a parking ticket, PCN or parking charge notice, which are issued by councils etc, you need to pay! What you have received is a PPN or a parking penalty notice. More than likely looks very similar to a PCN.

These are issued as they claim you have entered into a contract by parking in their car park. The contract is between the driver who parks the car and the parking company, so even if they get the vehicle owners details from the DVLA, they still cannot prove that the owner was the driver when the car was parked up. If you contact them you are in effect agreeing to your side of the 'contract'.

The letters will get more threatening, even telling you to ignore advice received on the internet, just hold your nerve and they will go away.

There is a way you can cost the company hassling you money, can't quite remember what it is though, something to do with a check.

My wife has been receiving threats of court action for four months now. She had the audacity to park in the Northampton General Hospital car park and display her pass on the wrong side of the car.

I open the letter, I tear it into little pieces and file it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669