Probs getting on to TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottingham Fox

Jeff - Bob has text me saying he's had problems getting on the forum this morning on his phone, and struggled also on his home connection. Tamworth is also struggling to get on.

It's working fine for me and i'm just using IE, so I don't know if the problem relates to Firefox ?

Jeff - Bob has text me saying he's had problems getting on the forum this morning on his phone, and struggled also on his home connection. Tamworth is also struggling to get on.

It's working fine for me and i'm just using IE, so I don't know if the problem relates to Firefox ?

I'm on fine with FireFox.

I've only just been able to get on too via my phone.

Jeff said a few days ago that he was about to move the site to a new server; I think he must have done it in the early hours of this morning, setting off the usual DNS problems. My home ISP, Virgin Media, now seems to have caught up but Vodafone are still struggling.

The problem should be nothing to do with the browser - unless you have different internet settings for each browser.

Last night I changed the DNS server for the talkingballs.co.uk domain.

That should have happened in a way that meant there was no downtime at all, as the old and new DNS server had the right information. But it doesn't always work that way and it could be that some people have had problems related to their ISPs doing something in a non-standard way. That should all sort itself out though when their ISPs refetch the DNS information.

What I did last night wasn't the move to the new server, but something that should reduce the chance of downtime when the site is moved.
The old DNS server wouldn't allow me to change the TTL (time to live) settings, which are fixed at 86400 seconds. If I'd left that the same there could potentially be 24 hours of downtime for some people when the site is moved to the new server. The new DNS settings mean there should be no more than a few minutes downtime (plus the time it takes to move the data - around 5GB, so not trivial!).

I generally like to change server every year or so to prevent potential problems when the hardware starts to get old. The current one is coming up to 18 months old.
The new server has a lot more RAM (24GB!), a faster processor and a bigger hard drive. I expect performance of this site to be similar to what it now though because we currently have SSD hard drives and the new one will be an old fashioned hard disk.

Last night I changed the DNS server for the talkingballs.co.uk domain.

That should have happened in a way that meant there was no downtime at all, as the old and new DNS server had the right information. But it doesn't always work that way and it could be that some people have had problems related to their ISPs doing something in a non-standard way. That should all sort itself out though when their ISPs refetch the DNS information.

What I did last night wasn't the move to the new server, but something that should reduce the chance of downtime when the site is moved.
The old DNS server wouldn't allow me to change the TTL (time to live) settings, which are fixed at 86400 seconds. If I'd left that the same there could potentially be 24 hours of downtime for some people when the site is moved to the new server. The new DNS settings mean there should be no more than a few minutes downtime (plus the time it takes to move the data - around 5GB, so not trivial!).

I generally like to change server every year or so to prevent potential problems when the hardware starts to get old. The current one is coming up to 18 months old.
The new server has a lot more RAM (24GB!), a faster processor and a bigger hard drive. I expect performance of this site to be similar to what it now though because we currently have SSD hard drives and the new one will be an old fashioned hard disk.

Right.
:icon_conf

I've had intermittent problems tonight. Moderated a thread, sent a PM no probs, then lost it for an hour or so. Back now but for how long...?

Mine has been on/off all day on Chrome. It says about trying to access a cached version, which sometimes works but not always. If I go through the search engine it usually works, but again not always.

I'm with Sky, still can't access it mobile, but can on my laptop with Firefox and Chrome

Just managed to get on via a Proxy.

iPhone (o2) using 3G signal is a not working just now. It\'s been on/off this morning.

Home broadband is with (o2) that was working fine most of the night, but not this morning before I left to come to Leicester.

Work mobile (Orange) using 3G signal is not working at all.

Office PC (EBT) I believe they get their internet from Daisy formally CRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669