Random News Article Thread

Stuff like the Pupil Premium, tax cuts for the working poor, equal marriage then, they must have all been part of some fever dream I had then. And as for the backbench tory MPs who published their Alternative Queen's Speech (https://conservativehome.com/2013/0...ueens-speech-the-full-list-of-40-rebel-bills/) in 2013 with such offerings as leaving the EU, ending subsidies for green power, and cutting foreign aid - while they will be much happier now I do wonder why they went to the effort if everything was the same? Sure, they've not brought back hanging yet, but what do you think the drive to leave the European Court of Human Rights is really about if not for them to have the freedom to use and abuse us proles as they see fit?
I'm no fan of it, but the coalition was miles better than what we have now, If you like it less, that's probably because it was a functioning government, whereas from the moment Clegg was booted out and Cameron had to work with all the members of his own parliamentery party things became unstuck. That's the reason no PM has lasted more than a couple of years since - Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss and now Sunak have been able to do nothing about the blatent graft and had to continually promote the most racist bully available at the time - yes, some of them absolutely do like it but it's also been a cynical caluculation of the numbers they need to stay in office, numbers which they can only draw from their own backbenches.

A minority government will always struggle to be as awful as one with an overall majority. That's on the electorate not the lib dems.

what do you think the drive to leave the European Court of Human Rights is really about if not for them to have the freedom to use and abuse us proles as they see fit?

Absolutely with you on this bit. It's the only reason for them pushing it.

Stuff like the Pupil Premium, tax cuts for the working poor, equal marriage then, they must have all been part of some fever dream I had then. And as for the backbench tory MPs who published their Alternative Queen's Speech (https://conservativehome.com/2013/0...ueens-speech-the-full-list-of-40-rebel-bills/) in 2013 with such offerings as leaving the EU, ending subsidies for green power, and cutting foreign aid - while they will be much happier now I do wonder why they went to the effort if everything was the same? Sure, they've not brought back hanging yet, but what do you think the drive to leave the European Court of Human Rights is really about if not for them to have the freedom to use and abuse us proles as they see fit?
I'm no fan of it, but the coalition was miles better than what we have now, If you like it less, that's probably because it was a functioning government, whereas from the moment Clegg was booted out and Cameron had to work with all the members of his own parliamentery party things became unstuck. That's the reason no PM has lasted more than a couple of years since - Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss and now Sunak have been able to do nothing about the blatent graft and had to continually promote the most racist bully available at the time - yes, some of them absolutely do like it but it's also been a cynical caluculation of the numbers they need to stay in office, numbers which they can only draw from their own backbenches.
Cleggs downfall was the Student loans and the Tories were prepared to bend on that just get a foot in the door.

Not quite sure which I despise the most

The actual real tofu-eating woke ****s who get offended by ****ing everything and tell you what you can/cannot think, or the hideous right wing ****s who think that any kind of behaviour to the left of Hitler (apparently including not eating a fried breakfast FFS) is now 'woke'

Probably best just to continue to hate them all

****s

I know, if you are around 50+ years old it is sometimes difficult to distinguish what may offend some people.

Personally some of my friends are black and would be more offended by being referred to as ‘of colour.’

Some people just seem to want to be offended to have something to moan about.

Bet you can’t call it black pudding anymore.

I know, if you are around 50+ years old it is sometimes difficult to distinguish what may offend some people.

Personally some of my friends are black and would be more offended by being referred to as ‘of colour.’

Some people just seem to want to be offended to have something to moan about.
It absolutely is but I’m curious about whether or not you regularly get pulled up for getting stuff wrong?

A lot of this stuff exists online and online only in my opinion…. Not that there aren’t plenty of ****s out there.

I generally find that people try to to avoid being offensive and if they do stray into that territory most people, and we’re probably taking about an inter generational dynamic here, are willing to extend a bit of patience.

The other day a rep from a supplier visited me at work with a box of goodies from Xmas, even remembered that I’m partial to a bit of port at this time of year, bloody good of him. Can’t remember how we got into the subject but he asked if I’d watched I’m a Celeb this year. I said ‘no’ and he started going on about how everyone wanted Nigel Farage to look bad but he’d actually come out of it really well and he’s just a decent bloke who believes what he says and blah blah blah.

Now I’ve got opinions on Farage, what he represents and the fact that he was on that show. I felt the rant coming on because I’ve the same one several times recently, admittedly only with other woke young people present. But I just thought **** it, he’s not a bad person, don’t be daft Ted. Let it go.

There’s a really good series of podcasts called Origin Story, where they look at political words, concepts and people and trace their true origin and meanings. They covered the word ‘boomer’ on a recent episode and what a generation actually is. It was fascinating and ultimately you come to a conclusion that even though people of my generation will accuse their parents of being ignorant and selfish we still look up to them and need them.

There’s not as much division as we’re told in my opinion. We paint people with too broad brush strokes but ultimately most people are prepared to meet half way.

It absolutely is but I’m curious about whether or not you regularly get pulled up for getting stuff wrong?

A lot of this stuff exists online and online only in my opinion…. Not that there aren’t plenty of ****s out there.

I generally find that people try to to avoid being offensive and if they do stray into that territory most people, and we’re probably taking about an inter generational dynamic here, are willing to extend a bit of patience.

The other day a rep from a supplier visited me at work with a box of goodies from Xmas, even remembered that I’m partial to a bit of port at this time of year, bloody good of him. Can’t remember how we got into the subject but he asked if I’d watched I’m a Celeb this year. I said ‘no’ and he started going on about how everyone wanted Nigel Farage to look bad but he’d actually come out of it really well and he’s just a decent bloke who believes what he says and blah blah blah.

Now I’ve got opinions on Farage, what he represents and the fact that he was on that show. I felt the rant coming on because I’ve the same one several times recently, admittedly only with other woke young people present. But I just thought **** it, he’s not a bad person, don’t be daft Ted. Let it go.

There’s a really good series of podcasts called Origin Story, where they look at political words, concepts and people and trace their true origin and meanings. They covered the word ‘boomer’ on a recent episode and what a generation actually is. It was fascinating and ultimately you come to a conclusion that even though people of my generation will accuse their parents of being ignorant and selfish we still look up to them and need them.

There’s not as much division as we’re told in my opinion. We paint people with too broad brush strokes but ultimately most people are prepared to meet half way.

Very well said. People are entitled to different opinions about most things without it affecting your opinion about them. We're entering Xmas season where sharing time with people with differing views is much more prevalent.

I'm from a 'middle-aged' generation where I feel the need to bite my tongue with both younger and older people at times. As I get older, I find my own evolution of opinions changes to an extent but not enough to align with my daughter and her generation. I often find myself debating internally whether I'm prepared to 'go there' and adapt or not. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. However, I do take some pride in my interest in 'going there' and considering old and new perspectives. I too listen to Origin Story along with several other podcasts that offer different ways of looking at the world.

I do find that the younger the person, the less tolerant of older people opinions they seem to be. It's as if they've not developed the ability to accept that 2023 shit is just another year of shit that will be mainly binned off at some point. Older people that think that their opinions are right and are not prepared to adapt them exist too, but they're less obvious in my world.

I don't mind an online debate (you may have noticed) but I rarely do it face to face with people. I used to. But I can't really be bothered with all that any more. Nowadays, somebody's opinion really has to bother me and the person has to be close enough to me to make it worthwhile.

Very well said. People are entitled to different opinions about most things without it affecting your opinion about them. We're entering Xmas season where sharing time with people with differing views is much more prevalent.

I'm from a 'middle-aged' generation where I feel the need to bite my tongue with both younger and older people at times. As I get older, I find my own evolution of opinions changes to an extent but not enough to align with my daughter and her generation. I often find myself debating internally whether I'm prepared to 'go there' and adapt or not. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. However, I do take some pride in my interest in 'going there' and considering old and new perspectives. I too listen to Origin Story along with several other podcasts that offer different ways of looking at the world.

I do find that the younger the person, the less tolerant of older people opinions they seem to be. It's as if they've not developed the ability to accept that 2023 shit is just another year of shit that will be mainly binned off at some point. Older people that think that their opinions are right and are not prepared to adapt them exist too, but they're less obvious in my world.

I don't mind an online debate (you may have noticed) but I rarely do it face to face with people. I used to. But I can't really be bothered with all that any more. Nowadays, somebody's opinion really has to bother me and the person has to be close enough to me to make it worthwhile.
I think ‘Millennials’ often expect too much of older generations. And each other for that matter.

Talking about purely face to face interactions, something I do make a point of pulling people up on, because it’s not necessarily a criticism, is when they play into the narrative and say ‘but you can’t say that’.

You can say it. You just did. And I whole heartedly disagree with what you just said and yet I’m not huffing and puffing and telling you off.

You’re shovelling snow in a blizzard if you think you can change anyone’s truly held opinions or conversely keep up with every single societal shift. All you can do is be true to yourself as trite and wanky as that sounds.

Being prepared to change your mind and question yourself like you mention takes strength and isn’t regarded as highly as it should be.

Last edited:
I think the media and social media are destroying the middle ground. Everything is black and white, never grey.

Media people who are clearly talentless are idolised and held up as genius, just to fit a narrative.

A good current example of this would be the “love in” for Kylie Minogue. Radio 2 (main culprit but surely not alone) who portray her as some kind of songwriting and singing genius, this is then portrayed as fact and I firmly believe people are brainwashed into agreeing or daren't disagree because this doesn’t fit the narrative.

It would be fair to say that said ‘singer’ has done very well for herself and is packaged and sold very well indeed, but to suggest she is a talented singer is quite frankly absurd isn’t it?

I think the media and social media are destroying the middle ground. Everything is black and white, never grey.

Media people who are clearly talentless are idolised and held up as genius, just to fit a narrative.

A good current example of this would be the “love in” for Kylie Minogue. Radio 2 (main culprit but surely not alone) who portray her as some kind of songwriting and singing genius, this is then portrayed as fact and I firmly believe people are brainwashed into agreeing or daren't disagree because this doesn’t fit the narrative.

It would be fair to say that said ‘singer’ has done very well for herself and is packaged and sold very well indeed, but to suggest she is a talented singer is quite frankly absurd isn’t it?
She’s still well fit though

a

Meh, can’t say that it’s something that would wind me up, to be honest. I realise I’m not the target audience, but it’s hardly a discussion that is going to bother me.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463