Random News Article Thread

Seems a good idea in principle but in reality, too hard to define the situations and seems like it is just open to the personal interpretation of the officer.

also comes across as a money making scheme given the fines have increased 150%!

Last edited:
It's annoying but I can't see how it costs lives

It causes 'bunching' in lanes 2 & 3 and leads to other drivers being frustrated and the likelihood of them risking unsafe manoeuvres.

...seems like it is just open to the personal interpretation of the officer.

The alleged offender will always have the opportunity to lay his own version of events before the magistrates. As is the case with fixed penalties that are levied for drunkenness and othe public order offences, I don't think the bench will be put to too much work.

... also comes across as a money making scheme given the fines have increased 150%!

£100 is far below the maximum fine for careless and/or inconsiderate driving and somewhat below what you would be likely to have to pay now on conviction.

So now the non lane-switching Audi twats will all be crashing into each other because they cant use mirrors or indicators. Genius.

Seems a good idea in principle but in reality, too hard to define the situations and seems like it is just open to the personal interpretation of the officer.

also comes across as a money making scheme given the fines have increased 150%!

That's precisely my concern. How big can the gap be between two vehicles on the inside lane be, before an overtake is construed as "middle lane hogging"? It is far too arbitrary for on the spot fines to be appropriate.

It causes 'bunching' in lanes 2 & 3 and leads to other drivers being frustrated and the likelihood of them risking unsafe manoeuvres.

If the "middle lane hog" is travelling at the speed limit (as is often the case) there is no basis for frustration. Anybody susceptible to unsafe manoevres in those circumstances is the real menace.

If the "middle lane hog" is travelling at the speed limit (as is often the case) there is no basis for frustration. Anybody susceptible to unsafe manoevres in those circumstances is the real menace.

It doesn't matter what speed you are travelling at. If there's a considerable space to your left, use the damn thing!

That's precisely my concern. How big can the gap be between two vehicles on the inside lane be, before an overtake is construed as "middle lane hogging"? It is far too arbitrary for on the spot fines to be appropriate.

Exactly my thoughts too. Middle lane hogging annoys the shit out of me but there needs to bet set definitions that cannot be left open to different interpretation if they are handing out fines freely.

Also, with regards to cutting in lanes in traffic and at junctions seems very wooly. I can see the people who have genuinely gone in the wrong lane getting stung here rather than the sales rep tossers in cars they don't care about that just try and do whatever they want.

It doesn't matter what speed you are travelling at. If there's a considerable space to your left, use the damn thing!

I agree entirely. The problem is in defining a "considerable space". The proposed legislation would be fine if you could be confident only serious hoggers would be ensnared by it.

..,.and of course speed is an issue. Nobody should ever be holding anybody else up if they are travelling at the speed limit.

I agree entirely. The problem is in defining a "considerable space". The proposed legislation would be fine if you could be confident only serious hoggers would be ensnared by it.

As Boc said, it's usually pretty clear cut. I doubt that there will be many borderline prosecutions.

What if you overtook a vehicle that was in the left lane, thus requiring use of the middle lane, but then 500m ahead there is a lorry which is going at least 10mph slower due to speed restrictions. Would it be classed as hogging by staying in the middle lane as you know you would have to move out again shortly even though there would be time to move over and back again?

Fair enough if an unmarked fed has followed you for a couple of miles being about the only cars on the motorway and you've just used the middle lane but I can see more people in the first example getting stung rather than the 1st.

Saying that, it'll probably be like a couple of years ago when they tried to say anyone smoking whilst driving would get pulled as it should be classed as driving without due car and attention but I don't know of anyone that has got stung.

What if you overtook a vehicle that was in the left lane, thus requiring use of the middle lane, but then 500m ahead there is a lorry which is going at least 10mph slower due to speed restrictions. Would it be classed as hogging by staying in the middle lane as you know you would have to move out again shortly even though there would be time to move over and back again?

Just use your judgement to decide whether you will get in anybody's way by doing so. If you are causing people to go round you, whilst there is a space in the left hand lane, get out of the way. They will be gone by the time you reach the lorry.

That's the point though, everyone's judgement of a situation would be different. I was just stating the above as examples.

There needs to be a clear measure of something in order to determine if an offence has occurred.

Just use your judgement to decide whether you will get in anybody's way by doing so. If you are causing people to go round you, whilst there is a space in the left hand lane, get out of the way. They will be gone by the time you reach the lorry.

If you are driving at 70 you won't be holding anyone up.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663