Rear Ended on M6

What should I do?

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew

Some plonker drove into the back of me on the M6, I managed to stop but the bloke drove into me, the damage to my car isn't that bad but the bumper will need replacing and there could be damage underneath.

I'm mindful of people making huge claims about whiplash, it's not something I would want to do, however I felt fine until this afternoon where I have a mild ache in my right shoulder and between my shoulder blades.

Has anyone had anything similar and what were the outcomes?

If you think you have an injury go and see a doctor, if it is confirmed make a claim for personal injury.

After having some **** falsify his story and try to claim for whiplash and lost earnings in an accident that was 100% his fault I'd say go for it if you feel you've a genuine claim. If you think its mild and not really in any discomfort then leave it.

Luckily in our case, we were saved by CCTV. It was with some pleasure that I pushed a copy of the actual incident on DVD through the ****s door :) Our insurer pursued them for making a false claim too.

Last edited:
My wife made a claim, as she had a shoulder and back injury in a similar incident. She would normally try to avoid this sort of thing, but she was in real discomfort. She was having quite a bit of osteopathy on her shoulder and settled at a reasonable amount without trying to take the piss. However, the reality is she still has problems that go back to that day and still pays for osteo sessions, despite the fact that the incident was now quite a number of years ago.

You shouldn't feel bad if you have genuine injuries, as it will cost you for treatment and who knows, they could go on for longer than you think. I hate the "take them to the cleaners" type attitude, but there is nothing wrong with being compensated realistically for the costs you are potentially going to incur, in the short and potentially longer term.

My wife got $50K after someone ran a red light and plowed into the side of her. That was ten years ago and she still gets a tremendous amount of discomfort. It effectively ended her riding career/hobby as well. I know she'd gladly give the 50k back to have a clean bill of health.

Hopefully this accident hasn't aggravated her injury.

Half the reason so many people struggle to afford insurance is because people claim when they get a bruise.

I vote 'suck it up'. Just because a load of other ****s pretend to be properly injured rather than just having some mild discomfort doesn't mean we all have to.

My wife got $50K after someone ran a red light and plowed into the side of her.

Plowed? This incident didn't happen in the UK then?

Some plonker drove into the back of me on the M6, I managed to stop but the bloke drove into me, the damage to my car isn't that bad but the bumper will need replacing and there could be damage underneath.

I'm mindful of people making huge claims about whiplash, it's not something I would want to do, however I felt fine until this afternoon where I have a mild ache in my right shoulder and between my shoulder blades.

What are your losses?

As others have said if its genuinely causing you discomfort then claim. A standard whiplash payout should see you approx £1500-£1800.

I do however have a problem with people who take the piss. One of my company vehicles caught a car whilst reversing. The tracker on the vehicle shows the vehicle was travelling at no speed greater than 1mph. The person in the car has claimed injury as has his wife and children. My insurance company have been asked to set aside £18,800 whilst its thrashed out. They've already settled £1100 for the damage on his car (replacement Nissan badge on front grill). It's a ****ing joke and I've told my insurance company that his claim is outright fraud.

I do however have a problem with people who take the piss. One of my company vehicles caught a car whilst reversing. The tracker on the vehicle shows the vehicle was travelling at no speed greater than 1mph. The person in the car has claimed injury as has his wife and children. My insurance company have been asked to set aside £18,800 whilst its thrashed out. They've already settled £1100 for the damage on his car (replacement Nissan badge on front grill). It's a ****ing joke and I've told my insurance company that his claim is outright fraud.

The TV program recently had loads of people who'd had claims against their insurance all whined about people claiming for whiplash...as if they had no part to play in it. The mass of lobotomised piss-poor drivers currently travelling the roads with their eyes shut are equally culpable for this claim culture. As is the collection of fukwit doctors who sign bits of paper with neckache.

The whole thing is ****ing ridiculous. The whole lot of them need to harden the **** up.

[video=youtube_share;unkIVvjZc9Y]http://youtu.be/unkIVvjZc9Y[/video]

plonker.... you probably shouldn't be driving if you still use that word... ;-)

I bet he's the kind of ****wit who doesn't realise that he won't be seeing the children's payout either, and turns up at court mouthing off about it once it's finally sunk through that thick skull of his.

This happened to me when I went into a car and the guy claimed for his son as part of the claim. I did not find this out until it was too late to argue, which I would have done had I known because there was no child in the car, just a flaming Greyhound!!!
The police said this boy was there as no doubt the driver told them as they interviewed me too and asked me who was in my car. But yet again I did not see this report until it was too late.
The Doctors report said he had damage to his knees, how he did this in the car is anyone's guess. He was in the same School year as one of my daughter's and she told me that this boy was a mad keen skate boarder and was always going over "on his knees" etc
The only solace I had was, as you pointed out, he would not have got the cash until he was 18. I must admit I nearly sent him an 18th card saying I hope you "enjoy" your claim money?

Last edited:
There's so much fraud going around, but we can't do anything about it, it has to be reported by the insurers, apparently. In the past two weeks, I've had one case withdrawn, because the other side have alleged a "cash for crash" and the claimant has bottled it, and another where the parents are claiming their small child injured his knees in a car accident (shunt), and have been stalling over releasing his medical records to the other side.

They do it because kids get higher damages; they are awarded them for psychological harm, regardless. Some of the worst ones are when babies, in travel cots, have apparently suffered whiplash, and they then get an award for the ensuing travel anxiety!

I was hit from behind yesterday while entering the vet's carpark and was pushed into an animal ambulance that was being unloaded.

One of the vet's staff took me into the shop to sort out insurance etc and within seconds two guys came in saying they were witnesses.

I thanked them and asked for their details, when they revealed they were from "speedyclaims ltd" and wanted me to hire them to bring a claim for my injuries - even when I pointed out that I had none - even my car had no significant damage - they said it was no problem and they could "advise me on that" which I assume was an invitation to make a fraudulent claim.

Someone then came in and reported that the police were on their way as a nurse had been slightly hurt and they vanished at speed! Despicable tossers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669