Referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

I know it seems like sour grapes when we lose, but I've made it clear that I thought the ref yesterday was awful. I've also been less than impressed with most I've seen this season both at our games and on TV. Once again today, there have been game changing decisions that should have been simple but haven't been given. WBA should have had at least one penalty for handba. And Colback should have been sent off before scoring. Not to mention little decisions like booking Ideye for arguing back (which was correct) but giving the free-kick in the first place for handball when he'd been climbed all over and pushed into the path of the ball. He shouldn't have reacted the way he did but it's not wonder the players are getting frustrated, there's no consistency across the games.

As much as the miserable sods around me are making me consider not going any more, the refs are playing an equal part. I don't feel like it's a fair sport any more. I don't believe there is favouritism towards the bigger clubs, just that the refs and linesme are inept and above reproach.

I guess considering refs where demoted last year to our division (something I moaned about are the time), I expected the refs this season to be the elite. If anything, the are worse.

Not sure what the answer is though, but I would like to see them be answerable for their decisions or to see their ratings that manages have to submit after the match.

Referees this season do seem to me to be generally very poor. Do you remember a few weeks back when in the Spurs game a good goal was disallowed (for off-side) because the Ref/Assistant ref didn't know the rules of the game? Shocking.

There are often interesting articles on the http://you-are-the-ref.com/ website - they tell it as it is generally. Keith Hackett's blog and the 'Ref Show' are worth seeing.

Anyhow, I've got to start fretting about a new Manager.

I'm a bit annoyed that my super discussion point has been somewhat overshadowed tonight.

It's funny how differently people see the game, I didn't think Mike Jones was too bad on Tuesday, (miles better than his first half at Anfield) yet walking back to the pub after the game, with an Arsenal supporter, he thought Upson and Simpson should have both been sent off and the ref also missed an handball in the build up to our goal!

It's funny how differently people see the game, I didn't think Mike Jones was too bad on Tuesday, (miles better than his first half at Anfield) yet walking back to the pub after the game, with an Arsenal supporter, he thought Upson and Simpson should have both been sent off and the ref also missed an handball in the build up to our goal!

There were loads of their fans on forums complaining about how dirty we played, and how the ref let us get away with a lot. There was a suspicion that Cambiasso handled the ball when he was on the ground in the build up to the goal, but if it did hit him on the hand/arm there wasn't anything he could do about it.

What are peoples thoughts on handball?

I may be wrong but I thought that for an offence it has to be deliberate. If a player stands with his arm out and the ball then hits his hand/arm it isn't handball. If the player moves his hand/arm to the ball it is handball (basically).

Just lately if a player shoots at goal and the ball hits the arm of a defender 10 yards away TV pundits and managers are going crazy about 'it should be a penalty'. Am I wrong in saying it shouldn't? In the Chelsea/Burnley game, the Burnley defender had his back to the ball when it was struck and hit his arm - I think no offence but watching MOTD it seems I'm completly wrong....

Anyone able to clarify?

The laws of the game say this:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with
the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into
consideration:
• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an
infringement
• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.)
counts as an infringement
• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an
infringement

These days handball will be given if the ball hits a player's hand or arm if it's thought to be in an "unnatural position", or if they appear not to be trying to move their hand or arm away from a ball that hits it. Presumably not moving your hand out of the way, or having your hand in an unnatural position, is considered to be a deliberate act. Some refs seem to think being hit in the face is handball.

To clarify:
• Pundits are nobs who would rather generate some outrage than explain the game or its rules.

More controversy today, at Old Trafford this time, where Rodger East sent off the wrong player!

Easily done. Wes Brown and John O'Shea look very similar.

Are they related, brothers perhaps? I can't be the only person to notice they seem to wear similar clothes when they're playing football. It was the same when they worked at Manure. I guess Ma still does their shopping.

Easily done. Wes Brown and John O'Shea look very similar.
The Ref says that Brown was sent off for the second foul. He had seen the foul by O'Shea but thought Falcao had a chance still to shoot but thought Brown had impeded him in taking the shot and therefore gave the penalty and sent Brown off. Of course from the TV it can be seen that Brown did not touch Falcao and it was the initial foul which should've been the one given

A Norwegian match commentator once said something like this without any hint of humour;

"Carlton Palmer, not related to Bobby Charlton, .........."

Brown's red card unsurprisingly has been rescinded

Derby fans are up in arms about their ref last Saturday, apparantly them throwing it away is all his fault

Ref last night at Old Trafford very good. Wasn't fooled by the United theatrics or the crowd pressure.

Ref last night at Old Trafford very good. Wasn't fooled by the United theatrics or the crowd pressure.

Michael Oliver did brilliantly. Made for an entertaining, open game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566