relegation rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
cant beleive anyone would say a thing like that webbo. have you seen sheff weds recently. im sorry but what a mad thing to say. for a start it will be bye bye CL and all of our promising players. We would NOT get back up and with the size of our club we would probably go bankrupt and not exist. think a little please before we speak.

join us next season when the CL revoloution begins

lako42 said:
cant beleive anyone would say a thing like that webbo. have you seen sheff weds recently.

No, I haven't seen them recently. But the fans I met are enjoying themselves. They've scored 68 goals this season, they're third in the league, have won 4 out of their last 5 matches, and they had a crowd of over 28,000 against Doncaster last week.

So I bet their supporters have enjoyed themselves more than we have this season.

webmaster said:
Redditch Fox said:
webmaster said:
Spider said:
great signings, wont be so good if we have to travel to colchester and chesterfield

I don't think we'll go down - and I don't want us to.

But it won't be the end of the world if we do - and it will make life more interesting for regular away fans who'd have loads of different places to go to.

I find the above as amazing a contribution as your assertion well into this season that we would have little difficulty getting into the play-offs.

I will offer you some facts:

1. We have a poor squad that not surprisingly plays dire football. This squad was extremely badly managed and CL was bound to have difficulty sorting things out.

2. Any thought of such a squad achieving promotion was absurd. Squads with no strikers do not generally achieve much!

We don't have a poor squad. We have a decent squad that hasn't played anywhere near their potential this season. If they had played to their potential, we should have had no difficulty getting to the play offs.

Connolly and Dublin are proven goalscorers. They just haven't done it this season.
A midfield of Tiatto, Joey, Williams and Gillespie is more than a match for most in this division, when they play at their best.
Our defence isn't great - but only seven teams in our division have conceded less goals than us this season.

Before nearly every match we play our opposing manager says with the players we've got we should be challenging for promotion. They're right, we should. But the inept tactics and motivation of our previous manager meant that didn't happen. I hoped the new manager coming in would have a 'honeymoon' period and the players would suddenly start playing at 100%. That didn't happen, but at least we are playing some good football now, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than when MA was in charge.

3. It would be catastrophic if we were relegated because the only place to be is in the Premiership or at worst playing for a place in it. Lower divisions mean decay and in the present economic state of football possibly terminal decay.

It wouldn't be catastrophic. Are you saying the supporters of the 48 teams in the bottom two divisions are wasting their time and should be supporting a Premiership team instead?
I met some Sheff Wednesday fans on the train on the way home from a match a couple of weeks ago, and they were thoroughly enjoying going to new places.
Maybe if we went down the glory hunting fans wouldn't go to games any more, but the die hard Leicester fans would.

4. Fortunately, the chances of us getting relegated are very slim because of the balance of home fixtures some of which involve playing teams with little to get excited about.

Don't understnad what you mean about the balance of home fixtures. Our home results have been no better than our away results. And if supporters are starting to get anxious about possible relegation and they transmit this to the players, we'll probably be better off playing away.

We may have a decent squad on paper but they are poor on a football pitch. Part of the reverse psychology of opposing managers is to talk us up - but everyone knows we are very very poor indeed. At the beginning of this season the attitude was that we were going to be the 'Manchester United's' of the division so its good propaganda for opponents to talk us up and so take even more credit for their results against us.

Dublin was a reliable goalscorer -those days were over before he came here. I thought MA had brought him in mainly as a central defender having realised that - and that is the way it has ultimately panned out. Connolly has always been patchy apart from his Wimbledon spell and IMO is now hopeless.As has been stated so many times - football is about opinions and if you think he is a decent striker then you are entitled to that view.

I am perfectly aware of the pattern of our points gained from home and away matches this season. However, we are talking about matches to be played not those that have been played.

I am no forecasting genius but last season predicted accurately how many points we would gain from this point in. I thought we were certainties to go down and down we went without any real fight - (the spirit came after we were relegated when the best players were in the shop window -kindly set up by the management through their release clauses).

I am equally confident that this season we will remain in this division and think we will obtain around 56 points -which will be quite enough.

webmaster said:
Redditch Fox said:
webmaster said:
Spider said:
great signings, wont be so good if we have to travel to colchester and chesterfield

But it won't be the end of the world if we do - and it will make life more interesting for regular away fans who'd have loads of different places to go to.

I find the above as amazing a contribution as your assertion well into this season that we would have little difficulty getting into the play-offs.

1. We have a poor squad that not surprisingly plays dire football. This squad was extremely badly managed and CL was bound to have difficulty sorting things out.

2. Any thought of such a squad achieving promotion was absurd. Squads with no strikers do not generally achieve much!

We don't have a poor squad. We have a decent squad that hasn't played anywhere near their potential this season. If they had played to their potential, we should have had no difficulty getting to the play offs.

Connolly and Dublin are proven goalscorers. They just haven't done it this season.
A midfield of Tiatto, Joey, Williams and Gillespie is more than a match for most in this division, when they play at their best.
Our defence isn't great - but only seven teams in our division have conceded less goals than us this season.

Before nearly every match we play our opposing manager says with the players we've got we should be challenging for promotion. They're right, we should. But the inept tactics and motivation of our previous manager meant that didn't happen. I hoped the new manager coming in would have a 'honeymoon' period and the players would suddenly start playing at 100%. That didn't happen, but at least we are playing some good football now, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than when MA was in charge.

3. It would be catastrophic if we were relegated because the only place to be is in the Premiership or at worst playing for a place in it. Lower divisions mean decay and in the present economic state of football possibly terminal decay.

It wouldn't be catastrophic. Are you saying the supporters of the 48 teams in the bottom two divisions are wasting their time and should be supporting a Premiership team instead?
I met some Sheff Wednesday fans on the train on the way home from a match a couple of weeks ago, and they were thoroughly enjoying going to new places.
Maybe if we went down the glory hunting fans wouldn't go to games any more, but the die hard Leicester fans would.

4. Fortunately, the chances of us getting relegated are very slim because of the balance of home fixtures some of which involve playing teams with little to get excited about.

Don't understnad what you mean about the balance of home fixtures. Our home results have been no better than our away results. And if supporters are starting to get anxious about possible relegation and they transmit this to the players, we'll probably be better off playing away.

We may have a decent squad on paper but they are poor on a football pitch. Part of the reverse psychology of opposing managers is to talk us up - but everyone knows we are very very poor indeed. At the beginning of this season the attitude was that we were going to be the 'Manchester United's' of the division so its good propaganda for opponents to talk us up and so take even more credit for their results against us.

Dublin was a reliable goalscorer -those days were over before he came here. I thought MA had brought him in mainly as a central defender having realised that - and that is the way it has ultimately panned out. Connolly has always been patchy apart from his Wimbledon spell and IMO is now hopeless.As has been stated so many times - football is about opinions and if you think he is a decent striker then you are entitled to that view.

I am perfectly aware of the pattern of our points gained from home and away matches this season. However, we are talking about matches to be played not those that have been played.

I am no forecasting genius but last season predicted accurately how many points we would gain from this point in. I thought we were certainties to go down and down we went without any real fight - (the spirit came after we were relegated when the best players were in the shop window -kindly set up by the management through their release clauses).

I am equally confident that this season we will remain in this division and think we will obtain around 56 points -which will be quite enough.

webmaster said:
Redditch Fox said:
webmaster said:
Spider said:

webmaster said:
Redditch Fox said:
webmaster said:
Spider said:

webmaster said:
Redditch Fox said:
webmaster said:
Spider said:

I think we get the message Redditch, and I agree. :p :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

Now if only the server was not so slow or the network to it then life would be grand and we could avoid posting more than once. :D :p As this forum is free on the other hand, there isn't really any room for complaint. :p :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

Steven said:

Now if only the server was not so slow or the network to it then life would be grand and we could avoid posting more than once. :D :p As this forum is free on the other hand, there isn't really any room for complaint. :p :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

I'm considering moving the forum back onto one of my own servers.

The 'experiment' of moving it onto a cheap hosting account hasn't really worked out - you get what you pay for, so I really shouldn't have expected anything better for £30 a year.
I'll probably put it onto my new dedicated server which is costing me loads of money, so it should be a lot faster and more reliable. But if I do move it there is likely to be some downtime when the move takes place.

webmaster said:
Steven said:

The 'experiment' of moving it onto a cheap hosting account hasn't really worked out - you get what you pay for, so I really shouldn't have expected anything better for £30 a year.
I'll probably put it onto my new dedicated server which is costing me loads of money, so it should be a lot faster and more reliable. But if I do move it there is likely to be some downtime when the move takes place.

I am grateful for all your efforts, I'm sure we all are. Please don't spend more than absolutely needed. :smt023 :p :wink: ;-) :-D

Agreed Steven. Would be good to speed it up though, its been desperate for a while now. I have also had issues accessing the site at busy times too.

webmaster said:
Steven said:

Yes, webmaster -sorry about that but my impression as you will have guessed was that the messages had not been posted.

Your efforts with the site are much appreciated even if your evaluation of the impact of relegation seem a bit out of character.

I wonder how it would have been had Talkingballs been around during the 1990-91 season

Coming up to the end of the season and having to get a better result than WBA on the final day to avoid going into Div 3 for the first ever time.

We have no need to panic (I reserve the right to change this opinion next month). Come the middle of May and we'll be looking forward to a push towards the prem :smt004

Orifice said:
I wonder how it would have been had Talkingballs been around during the 1990-91 season

... there would have been many a pair of brown trousers. :roll: :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

Tony James and his antics on the (at least my memory is that he was on on near the floor) floor in order to save us. :roll: :p :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

Steven said:
Orifice said:

... there would have been many a pair of brown trousers. :roll: :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

Tony James and his antics on the (at least my memory is that he was on on near the floor) floor in order to save us. :roll: :p :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

90-91 P36 38pts (finished the season on 50 pts)
04-05 P36 43pts

Things could be worse... :smt004

Orifice said:
Steven said:
Orifice said:

90-91 P36 38pts (finished the season on 50 pts)
04-05 P36 43pts

Things could be worse... :smt004

Have you posted this before because I am getting a strong sense of deja vu. :? :? :? I saw this thread in a dream. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669