Reserves tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh just zip it, will you

Button a related subject, you sound like a right stud

beltonfox said:
No I did realise the trouser wit came from you JF .....sorry, I'll be more specific in future!

I'll let you off Belton, welcome aboard matey.

RichMC24 said:
Redditch Fox said:
RichMC24 said:
Redditch Fox said:
Tony Elsby said:
Leigh said:
We lost 2-1, Elliott managed 45 minutes, Heath was our scorer.

I know it's only the Stiffs but even they're losing too often. Isn't it time we started to develop a win mentality throughout the club? Is the whole place just getting too cosy (familiarity breeds contempt and all that) or are the players so seduced by the Premiership standard surroundings that most kid themselves that they're a damn sight better than they actually are?

A club going absolutely nowhere.

This isn't to say that MA should go now because as has been analysed to death on this forum - there may be more harm than good in a change in haste.

But if this season has to be written off it at least gives an opportunity for the club to make some soundings about bringing in new leadership for 2005/6.

Why are we writing this season off exactly...?????

Well it's something to do with:

- we've been performing badly since May 2003;
- almost all the half-decent players want to leave the club as soon as have worked out lucrative contracts or have an escape loophole -i.e. they don't seem to want to play for this management;
- we've brought in a load of players who are inferior to those they replaced or they are the wrong mix or the manager can't motivate them;
- we have a management/ coaching team that seemingly lack any tactical awareness;
- the players are without discipline on and off the field;
- the manager makes repeat mistakes in terms of selection and use of substitutes.

does that help you?

apart from that things are fine!

I can't really agree with you on this at all.

- During our year in the Premiership, I think that generally the performances were excellent. What went wrong was the performances in the last 5-10 minutes of the game whereby we threw away mid table safety for relegation. I don't think you can fault the performances really, just the results. Most of the games were highly entertaining. We were free scoring and although we conceeded a lot, we were a good value team.

- Your second 2 points, I'll address as one as they are linked. Micky achieved a minor miracle putting together that squad for the Premiership. He brought in a dozen players pre season with his tactic being, 'They have experience at this level and have something to prove'
He had to agree to relegation release clauses in order to get these players in.
As we have been relegated, other clubs have come in and picked off a lot of our players, as most were quality players who actually had a good season. It was just collectively, we were not quite good enough to stay up.
As players, most are approaching the end of their careers and so have to consider their own ambitions and families. This being the case, when a Prem club comes in, there's no real competition.
Anyway, given that Micky had no real choice about losing these players - he got on with the job and again managed to sign a bunch of players who he saw fit for this division.
By definition, they are not gonna be the same calibre as he has a more limited budget and less draw being in the fizzy.

Neverless, he assembled a good squad, which on paper had us down as pre season favourites. Not surprisingly, these players have needed, and will need a bit of time to get it right on the pitch.

No doubt, some of the signings will turn out badly and some will be better. I have no doubt that Micky will soon weed out the bad and replace them just as he did last season.

- Tactics and coaching, subs etc..... It's all about opinion isn't it. At the end of the day, Micky knows far more about the players than you do.
I remember Derby away, when he made 3 subs all in one go when we were under the cosh at 1-1, I thought 'Oh dear! that's buggered that up - what the hell is he doing???' Result! Trev bags and we win. What the hell did I know?

- Discipline - This appears to be a problem at a lot of football clubs. I don't think it applies just to LCFC. Players have a much bigger say these days.

Maybe incidents like Dion's and Jordan's sending off is an example of just how much the players really do care about the club they are playing for. Misplaced it may be, but let's not accuse them off lacking in fight and spirit.

Just My Opinion

8)

QED really. Adams' tactics cost us so many points in the last 10-15 minutes last season it was embarrassing. With better tactics we might well have stayed up.

You say some of the new signings might turn out badly. One or two already have but the truth is MA is not paid to make bad signings. He's not a rookie...yet too many of his signings have shown no signs of being nearly good enough/fit enough/commited enough.

You mention Trevor Benjamin, bless him. Well he DID score...and has hardly played since!!! (not that I really think he's an answer).

As for ill discipline. Someone has to sort it. If Adams can't then it'll have to be someone else unless you honestly believe that that this team can win promotion by regularly going down to 10 men.

Finally "on paper we were promotion favourites." On paper means nothing. Who said we were promotion favourites?. Journalists ordered to fill a few column inches with guesswork?.

By what yardstick would you ever look at these players alongside other teams in the League and say "promotion favourites"?. If MA is to get this team even in the play-offs (and it is possible) then he's going to have to earn his crust.

And he won't do it with a man-short handicap or by picking players whose form does not merit selection. If he starts by mending the little things then maybe the big things will be easier to deal with.

These are valid points that you are making.

I agree that MA did show lack of capability last year and that certain decisions he made ended up costing us points.

What I'm really saying to folk is that I feel that he has done a reasonable job for us over the last 2 seasons. he got us promoted against the odds in his first year, and we were narrowly relegated after a good fight despite being favourites for the drop.

I appreciate that only the pundits have made us favourites but that is a measure of the quality that MA has brought in. He does have to transfer that potential to the pitch and I agree that he hasn't been able to do this so far.

I'm not suggesting that all is well with the world because it isn't but I think that we, as fans should get behind the team and the manager during this difficult time, just as he got behind the club at it's most difficult time.

If, by the end of the season, we have not achieved at least a play off spot, then I would suggest that a change in manager might be on the cards, but he has to be given time to get things right.

Cheers

RichMC24 said:

I agree that MA did show lack of capability last year and that certain decisions he made ended up costing us points.

What I'm really saying to folk is that I feel that he has done a reasonable job for us over the last 2 seasons. he got us promoted against the odds in his first year, and we were narrowly relegated after a good fight despite being favourites for the drop.

I appreciate that only the pundits have made us favourites but that is a measure of the quality that MA has brought in. He does have to transfer that potential to the pitch and I agree that he hasn't been able to do this so far.

I'm not suggesting that all is well with the world because it isn't but I think that we, as fans should get behind the team and the manager during this difficult time, just as he got behind the club at it's most difficult time.

If, by the end of the season, we have not achieved at least a play off spot, then I would suggest that a change in manager might be on the cards, but he has to be given time to get things right.

Cheers

Just sack the clown.

I'd sooner have no manager

RichMC24 said:

Cheers

In a way "back the team, back the manager" is like saying Blair's in charge so back the War, back endless speed cameras, back the slaying of first born children...where would you stop?

Matchdays I'm blindly biased and try to cheer whatever but am I less of a supporter because I'd rather see wrongs put right now than wait til the end of the season when its too late to matter?.

As a fan I'm there every season. Managers come or go but during their tenure get bloody well paid "to back us in difficult times" and earn promotion "against the odds". Because I vote for a particular politician doesn't mean to say I won't vote for someone else if they foul up.

At the moment City are fouling up in too many ways and are blowing steam in the way of a warning that its time for things to improve.

Agree with you 100% there Tony if you are unhappy you have the right to voice your personal opinion, just refering to Micky backing us through our most difficult time if it was meant to be La Manga, was he not partly responsible as he did not impose a strict enough disciplinary regime.

My biggest concern is we may push the panic button sack Micky without having a decent successor in mind, remember when PT left and all insundry were linked who did we end up with Bassett ! Micky at present is on borrowed time but we should be paitent and make sure we make no knee jerk reactions as this decision could mould the next 5 -10 years performance at the club.

My advice would be to give it till xmas and make sure the board consider every possible consequence good and bad of changing or perservering with Micky, because in a years time it could be all so different !

Keep the Faith said:
My biggest concern is we may push the panic button sack Micky without having a decent successor in mind, remember when PT left and all insundry were linked who did we end up with Bassett ! Micky at present is on borrowed time but we should be paitent and make sure we make no knee jerk reactions as this decision could mould the next 5 -10 years performance at the club.

My advice would be to give it till xmas and make sure the board consider every possible consequence good and bad of changing or perservering with Micky, because in a years time it could be all so different !

I think that's about right and though I don't rate Micky as a particularly good manager, its all about finding someone available who is better.That said, if the results don't stack up and the football itself remains dire and he continues to make some absurdly provocative decisions on selections/ substitutions then events may overtake the club. Patience is in short supply in professional football. I fear that if he did go during the season that DB would be installed for financial reasons on at least a short term basis

Last 3 games, 7 points, promotion form, sack the clown :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joe_Fox said:

Last season?

Last nine games?

Last two home wins?

Last goals from Blake and Connolly?

Last full house?

Last time the "championship favourites" could see Wigan?

Last time we were below Stoke (apart from now)

Last time we were in the top six?

Last time the reserves won?

Tony Elsby said:
Joe_Fox said:

Last season?

Last nine games?

Last two home wins?

Last full house?

What has that got to do with anything?

Joe_Fox said:
Tony Elsby said:
Joe_Fox said:

Last season?

Last nine games?

Last two home wins?

Last full house?

What has that got to do with anything?

Exactly! And what have the last three games got to do with anything?

Promotion form? Bullshit....nothing more than statistics.

We played 75-100 good minutes in the 270 that's the truth. We were hardly inspiring at Rotherham, might have conceded a three goal lead against Sheffield and were tactically out-thought by Burnley.

Fact is, as "Championship favourites" we are way off the pace, erring the wrong side of mid-table and are not looking anything like the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566