Confirmed Transfer Ritchie de Laet and Matthew James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micky

Confirmed on the official site.

Young hungry players from a good schooling as opposed to supposedly tried and test (from the Sven era). Let's see if it works!

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~2773743,00.html

Agreement Reached For United Duo
Posted on: Tue 15 May 2012

Leicester City have today (Tuesday) reached an agreement with Manchester United for the transfer of Ritchie De Laet and Matty James.

Defender Ritchie, 23, and midfielder Matty, 20, will join the Foxes for an undisclosed fee, signing until June 2015.

Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson said: "Ritchie and Matthew are both players we have been monitoring for some time and we are very pleased to be able to bring them both to the Club.

"Both are hungry, young players with winning mentalities, experience of Championship football and a desire to be successful. They will add considerable quality to the squad."

Belgium-born De Laet, a versatile defender and a full international, arrives at King Power Stadium following a recent loan spell with Premier League Norwich City. He made six appearances for the United first team, including three in the Premier League, after joining from Stoke City in January 2009, having started his career with Royal Antwerp.

While at Old Trafford, he also enjoyed loan spells with Sheffield United, Preston North End and Portsmouth and won two senior Belgium caps during his time with the Red Devils.

Bacup-born James, an England Under-20 international, proved equally adaptable during his time as a young professional, operating in defence as well as thriving in his more customary midfield position.

After graduating from the United academy, he signed professional terms in July 2009 and was a central figure for the reserves before two successful loan spells with Preston North End, where he made 32 appearances and scored three goals.

Pleased with these signings, signs that Nigel is trying to build a team not just throwing money at it like Sven did. Both have a lot of potential and hopefully both will play a big part next season.

Happy with both of these from the little I know of them. Both been on the books at United for some time, so can't be too shabby!

Am I right in thinking De Laet is primarily a right back?

Happy with both of these from the little I know of them. Both been on the books at United for some time, so can't be too shabby!

Am I right in thinking De Laet is primarily a right back?

He's a centre back primarily, that's what I've been told anyway!

Just a quick question, does NP, have a private line to Man U ? Many of his signings, even when he was at Hull came through the ranks at Old Trafford. I'm not complaining no doubt they have a first class academy and youth system, so looking forward to seeing the team develop.

Pleased with these signings, signs that Nigel is trying to build a team not just throwing money at it like Sven did. Both have a lot of potential and hopefully both will play a big part next season.
Really? Without knowing how much was paid, how can you be sure? And if they're any good, why are Man U off-loading them?
Only time will tell if these are shrewd signings.

Really? Without knowing how much was paid, how can you be sure? And if they're any good, why are Man U off-loading them?
Only time will tell if these are shrewd signings.
I think people are pleased that we are going for young, hungry players with a point to prove, rather than the seasoned pro's who have already earnt their corn. Whether they will turn out to be any good, nobody knows.

signs that Nigel is trying to build a team not just throwing money at it like Sven did.

I think Sven gets unfairly labelled with the "throwing money at it" tag. Yes, we spent, relatively speaking, a large amount of money but considering the number of players we got for that money I don't think he was "throwing it around". Arguably two of his better signings, Danns and Nugent, were free transfers and only Beckford and Mills cost significant money.

Good luck to these two lads. I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about them and I am not going to extrapolate and say they are bound to be stars as they came through the Man Utd youth set-up nor am I going to they are bad signings because they lack experience and proven quality.

I'll judge them once the season starts.

Really? Without knowing how much was paid, how can you be sure? Only time will tell if these are shrewd signings.

Exactly what I was going to say. Top post, Rhydal

Last edited:
I think people are pleased that we are going for young, hungry players with a point to prove, rather than the seasoned pro's who have already earnt their corn. Whether they will turn out to be any good, nobody knows.
I'll take ability over pashun any day.

Luke Chadwick come on for MK Dons tonight. Just saying like.

Aye but IMO.....

Being a smashing bunch of lads > Hunger > being from LE postcode > ability > pashun

IMO we've gone for ability in the past and quite often the lazy feckers can't be arsed. Look no further than Norwich for some pashun!

IMO we've gone for ability in the past and quite often the lazy feckers can't be arsed. Look no further than Norwich for some pashun!

I think Norwich have a mixture of both, to be fair. And, shouldn't we be looking for both in potential new signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669