Rodgers future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
City Fan will be suicidal if and when we are relegated back to the championship one day.

So he’s got us to a second cup semi final in two years but if we lose it he’s no good, right?

So he’s got us to a second cup semi final in two years but if we lose it he’s no good, right?
Hopefully we don’t bottle it like the first one.

All over the media today that Spurs have BR as their first choice as new manager.

I believe that is both likely to be true and that they have good reason to believe that their choice is obtainable.

Unless he shuts it down when undoubtedly asked about it later today, at the end of the season, I fully expect BR to leave for them.

If BR gets CL and/or the FA Cup, he'll find it very easy to explain that he has achieved what he set out to do here.

The only other possibility is if he hangs on for a better job but that doesn't seem his style. Spurs would be a stepping stone too.

All over the media today that Spurs have BR as their first choice as new manager.

I believe that is both likely to be true and that they have good reason to believe that their choice is obtainable.

Unless he shuts it down when undoubtedly asked about it later today, at the end of the season, I fully expect BR to leave for them.

If BR gets CL and/or the FA Cup, he'll find it very easy to explain that he has achieved what he set out to do here.

The only other possibility is if he hangs on for a better job but that doesn't seem his style. Spurs would be a stepping stone too.
I think a lot might depend on what Spurs are willing to commit to him. I suspect he’s aiming to get a job for one of the real big guns and his ability to do that after Spurs might depend on how much he believes it’s possible to do what’s needed within the framework (budget, spending power etc) that is available to him. He may also feel that he isn’t able to get a huge job directly from us and needs that next stepping stone to get there.

Who knows, really, but we might as well enjoy the ride while we’re on it.

I just really don't see the appeal of Spurs over us for Brendan right now.

If we win the FA Cup and get into Champions League (or even just the latter), would he really want to leave that for Spurs?

Spurs who will be in the Europa Conference League or whatever its called and I'm sure some kind of horrendous fixture pile up that goes with that, have ridiculous expectations, and a team that really still needs some heavy rebuilding work, but probably dont have the money to do that.

I know money talks, but Im really not sure Spurs would be an attractive challenge.

Like you've said before BN, Brendan will back his own ability and believe he could be a success there. But where I disagree is that they'd be a better stepping stone to a big job than he's already got here.

He's far more likely to have continued success here than he is to going into Spurs and be instantly successful.

Not to mention the whole Levy/ESL thing which I genuinely think could have repercussions, particularly for Spurs, where managers/players are maybe slightly hesitant about joining a club where there are owners who would be quite keen to **** off from the Prem if given the chance. Arsenal, Man Utd look like they'll have regime changes at least - but Levy isn't going to leave Spurs.

I know I'm biased, but I think we're a much better prospect and challenge than Spurs right now - if we qualify for Champs League

I actually think Brendan is much more likely to take that job if we fail to make top 4 than if we do

I just really don't see the appeal of Spurs over us for Brendan right now.

If we win the FA Cup and get into Champions League (or even just the latter), would he really want to leave that for Spurs?

Spurs who will be in the Europa Conference League or whatever its called and I'm sure some kind of horrendous fixture pile up that goes with that, have ridiculous expectations, and a team that really still needs some heavy rebuilding work, but probably dont have the money to do that.

I know money talks, but Im really not sure Spurs would be an attractive challenge.

Like you've said before BN, Brendan will back his own ability and believe he could be a success there. But where I disagree is that they'd be a better stepping stone to a big job than he's already got here.

He's far more likely to have continued success here than he is to going into Spurs and be instantly successful.

Not to mention the whole Levy/ESL thing which I genuinely think could have repercussions, particularly for Spurs, where managers/players are maybe slightly hesitant about joining a club where there are owners who would be quite keen to **** off from the Prem if given the chance. Arsenal, Man Utd look like they'll have regime changes at least - but Levy isn't going to leave Spurs.

I know I'm biased, but I think we're a much better prospect and challenge than Spurs right now - if we qualify for Champs League

I actually think Brendan is much more likely to take that job if we fail to make top 4 than if we do
He'd be out the door like a shot

"You've taken Leicester as far as you can, now you can reinvigorate one of the 'big six' and enhance your reputation.

You know just as well as everybody else on this forum that Brown Nose Brown Nose is sadly correct.

He'd be out the door like a shot

"You've taken Leicester as far as you can, now you can reinvigorate one of the 'big six' and enhance your reputation.

You know just as well as everybody else on this forum that Brown Nose Brown Nose is sadly correct.

Nope, I don't.

Leicester in the Champions League, with the new training ground and resources available, and a young squad with potential to keep improving, is a better way to enhance his reputation than a move to Spurs where achieving top 4 is a big task with the need to rebuild and being in the Europa League (I assume the Conference League would feed into that).

Particularly if Harry Kane does go, which it sounds like he wants to.

I'm not sure what Spurs offer above us (other than a bigger salary).

And realistically, what does he need to do at Spurs to enhance his reputation? Would qualifying for top 4 alone do that? I don't think so. It's the expectation there, even though it's not something they get every year. And they're a long way off challenging for the title.

To enhance his reputation at Spurs I'd say he'd have to go in, finish top 4 for probably 3 successive seasons and win them a trophy (a domestic cup would do given how long they've gone without). So that's at least 3 years to be seen as a success there.

Whereas one more season here, he'd probably be able to go get the job at Man Utd or Chelsea, maybe even Man City (if vacant), which are all better/bigger than the Spurs job.

Watching that display yesterday as well as the fact Kane is desperate to leave should convince anyone with half a brain not to touch Spuds with a barge pole.

If we win the FA Cup and finish in the Top 4 I would like Brenda to give a Press Conference and declare that there is now a Big 7 and he is managing this one into next year’s Champions League!

I also do not see the appeal of Spurs. Yes they have a bigger budget but there is a strong possibilty that he could go their and win nothing. That would still be failure in the eyes of Spurs fans.

I’m under no illusions about Rodgers and his long term ambitions.

That said, I’m just not convinced Spurs is the club he would leave for.

I could definitely see Chelsea, Man City, even Arsenal, but just can’t picture Tottenham.

If he does leave for them arseholes I’ll have a hard time forgiving him irrelevant of what he achieves here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757