Roger Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Roger Davies could be on his way out. :icon_sad:

Waitaminute!!! This Leicester Mercury I found lining the floor of someones attic is donkeys years old!

:icon_lol:

Anybody want to take a guess at the year ?

Is that the game against Oldham when most other games were called off due to snow and ice. Due to the undersoil heating the Oldham game was on. I seem to remember a fun car trip that day.

Last edited:
Roger Davies was quite simply the best non-league player I have ever seen.

His debut for Worcester City was against Jimmy Bloomfield's Leicester City in a pre-season friendly when he ran rings round Joe Jopling and looked easily the most talented player on the pitch. Leicester showed no interest in signing him although he went on to play so well anyone could see he was far too good for the Southern League and would do well in the First or Second Division.

Worcester fans believed that with Roger Davies they would win the Southern League but when Brian Clough offered £15,000 (Wikipedia says £12,000 and the figure of £15,000 may have been to appease Worcester fans) Worcester could not afford to turn the offer down. He went on to be a regular goalscorer for Derby in the First Division equivalent to the Prem today.

For whatever reason Leicester never saw the best of Roger Davies although I would still rate him as far better than Carl Cort or Malcolm Partridge. Roger Davies reached the First Division the hard way without going through Youth Teams and without being nurtured by top clubs and deserves respect.

Classic piece of Clough/Taylor business for Derby DG, and example of how they could get the best out of the ordinary.

Classic piece of Clough/Taylor business for Derby DG, and example of how they could get the best out of the ordinary.
I'm not sure that was true. He did sign the odd dud and they did fail. It just didn't happen very often. You can't get exceptional football out of ordinary footballers, no matter how good a manager you are. You can, however, get poor football from very good players.

Davies annoyed at being on the subs bench? He would have had the pleasure of seeing one G. Lineker make his debut. Ungrateful sod.

Roger Davies - a Crouch type of player? No, no, his style was more unpredictable, he did things that no defender could have imagined he would do, come to think of it he did things he could not imagined he would do. He had the touch of a one legged elephant with a limp and had a habit of failing to score when there was physically only a 0.00000001% chance that even a dead person could miss. His style, well thats a difficult one, but pushed for an answer I'd say Max Wall - ish, without the laughs.

Roger Davies - a Crouch type of player? No, no, his style was more unpredictable, he did things that no defender could have imagined he would do, come to think of it he did things he could not imagined he would do. He had the touch of a one legged elephant with a limp and had a habit of failing to score when there was physically only a 0.00000001% chance that even a dead person could miss. His style, well thats a difficult one, but pushed for an answer I'd say Max Wall - ish, without the laughs.

The criticism of Roger Davies shows how good the top players are. Playing semi-professional he scored 7 goals in 10 games and was generally accepted to be the best striker Worcester City had ever had. For those who have played Sunday League Football I would say I would be surprised if you ever played against anyone as good as Roger Davies.

Phrases like "a one legged elephant with a limp" disguise the fact that this was a player who played 114 games for Derby scoring 31 times aand being picked by Dave Mackay as well as Clough. He played 26 times for Leicester scoring 6 times which is not good but it is not Carl Cort or Malcom Partridge. (Statistics thanks to Wikipedia).

I do not know how good Chuck was at football but I know that personally I was laughably bad. I am wary of making extreme comments on a player like Roger Davies since he would have the perfect reply: "What level did you play at Mr Gwilliam."

I find it interesting that the Mercury in 1979 refers to Jock Wallace as Mr Wallace. In 2011 the Mercury does not even refer to the manager as Sven but as Erikkson. We do not see the name of the 1979 journalist but he had clearly been brought up with better manners than 2011 journalists.

I find it interesting that the Mercury in 1979 refers to Jock Wallace as Mr Wallace. In 2011 the Mercury does not even refer to the manager as Sven but as Erikkson. We do not see the name of the 1979 journalist but he had clearly been brought up with better manners than 2011 journalists.

Just proves to me that Bill "Mr Wallace" Anderson and Alan "Mr Yakubu" Young are one and the same person.

'Manners' are subjective David.
I get very offended and pissed off when I'm referred to as Mr Macky, but that may be because I'm usually wearing handcuffs when it happens.

I get very offended and pissed off when I'm referred to as Mr Macky, but that may be because I'm usually wearing handcuffs when it happens.

Exactly. What constitutes manners changes with the times; unfortunately, those that obsess over them, do not.

Exactly. What constitutes manners changes with the times; unfortunately, those that obsess over them, do not.

There are two different points of view here so I am puzzled by Beighton's use of the word "exactly" when his "changes with the times" view is very different from Macky's subjective view.

Macky your view that it is subjective seems to me more practical. For example the banter between friends would often be offensive between strangers - a good friend once called me "a miserable anti social f____ bastard" and I laughed whereas I snapped at a young man in Boots The Chemist who speaking to a colleague referred to me as "This guy" "

On meeting you I would want to find out whether you preferred James. Jim or Jimmy or Mr Macky (I do not know your real first name so this is just an example). With ladies it was important to find out whether they preferred Mrs or Miss or Ms - my experience was that Mrs disliked being called Ms. I would guess that Sven would prefer Sven or Mr Eriksson to just Eriksson - good manners is using the name people prefer.

Beighton there seem to me two problems with your post.
(1) It could be used to excuse a lowering of standards. Yes with modern roads and feminism walking on the outside of a lady is out of date; with todays liberated young women there is no need for a young man to give up his seat on a bus. However, unless Sven prefers to be called Eriksson then I cannot see the excuse for it.
(2) The details of good manners may change but the general principles remain. You treat everyone as important and as worthy of consideration and respect. The word "obsess" seems ill-chosen and perhaps you would have been better to use the word "care". I would argue that treating people as important, showing consideration and respect are timeless values and worth caring about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669