Set pieces

35-40% of goals are scored from free kicks depending upon your research, some have at it at 25% either way it is a bloody important part of the game.

For me Winks is poor at delivery especially corners whereas Fatawu and Madividi deliver higher quality in dead ball scenarios.

I recall reading a stat that players that head back across the 6 yard box rather than going for goal resulted in a higher conversion rate.

not sure how much time we spend on set pieces although I think we have become better?

We seem to have a new tactic of JJ attacking the box late on. In the first half it looked like he had a clear run at one, until Faes took it off him. In the second half he had half a chance from one too.

An update on some of our set piece stats.

We've had a sum total of 16 corners in our 6 games. This is the lowest in the PL by 5. Spurs are top with 56.

Despite this, we have scored 2 from these corners, which is remarkably strong success rate. Winks has taken 10 of them.

We also scored indirectly from a free kick into the box against Arsenal which counts as another set piece goal. We've only attempted one shot on goal direct from a free kick which was unsuccessful (Ayew).

We've conceded 47 corners in 6 games and conceded one from them. We've also conceded from one other set piece and a penalty.

Overall, we have conceded 3 from 37 attempts from set piece situations and scored 3 from 17 attempts.

In terms of our defensive players in these situations, Faes has an aeriel win % of 70 - 14/20 successful. Justin has won 6/10. More worryingly, Okoli has only won 6/18 and Kristiansen 4/18. In fact, Buonanotte has a better success rate from aerial duels than Kristiansen.

Conceded once from 47 corners, and that was a fluky deflection, is one hell of an improvement of recent times.
Long may it continue, as I was getting pissed off with Alan Smith and co. reminding us how shite we were at defending set pieces. [ I know we were, but I didn’t want to be reminded of it every time we had a set piece against us]

I’m sure the praise from him is on it’s way [ won’t hold my breath!]

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Tottenham 610
9Brighton69
10Nottm F69