Set Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

PONTUS KAAMARK

Dont no if this has already been mentioned so apologies if it has!

One thing that I have been slightly perplexed with so far this season has been our attacking set pieces particularly corners and free kicks in and around the defending teams box.

Why oh why do we continually just chip them in!?! So far this season Wilcox, Williams and Tiatto (once) have had responsibilty for taking our corners and everyone has been chipped in with no pace and been a fairly easy header to defend.

I have been 101% impressed with our open play so far but cant understand why we have such a unagressive attitude to our set plays.

On saturday Currie came on and caused us all sorts of bother by taking set pieces at pace and whipping them which is far harder to defend than the favoured chip variety of our team. I can only presume that this is a tactic but I feel we would be far more likely to score if we hit the ball in at pace and tried to panic defences.

What are everyone elses views?

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
Dont no if this has already been mentioned so apologies if it has!

One thing that I have been slightly perplexed with so far this season has been our attacking set pieces particularly corners and free kicks in and around the defending teams box.

Why oh why do we continually just chip them in!?! So far this season Wilcox, Williams and Tiatto (once) have had responsibilty for taking our corners and everyone has been chipped in with no pace and been a fairly easy header to defend.

I have been 101% impressed with our open play so far but cant understand why we have such a unagressive attitude to our set plays.

On saturday Currie came on and caused us all sorts of bother by taking set pieces at pace and whipping them which is far harder to defend than the favoured chip variety of our team. I can only presume that this is a tactic but I feel we would be far more likely to score if we hit the ball in at pace and tried to panic defences.

What are everyone elses views?

Our set pieces both attacking and defending have not been up to scratch IMO. When defending we really dont look all that convincing especially with this zonal marking that leaves people free at the far post. Your spot on about our balls into the box the are very poor and rarely make it past the first man.

Could it be that we dont really have a confident header of the ball in an attacking position when MDV and DC play together?:102:

Yeh thats very true about MDV and DC but I still think we would be worth just chucking the ball in at pace and seeing what happens instead of chipping in to McCarthy on the front post everytime. If you wack it in you are always likely to get the odd 'pin ball' goal or three.

It a far cry from the O'Neil days!

They must have practiced the floated near post corner on the training ground - because thats all they ever did on saturday. but i just can't see it working. McCarthy had two defenders on him every time, and he's no Elliot in the air.

We haven't got a great deal of height in the side, so how about getting the ball to the edge of the box for a shot rather, or whipping the ball in as suggested above!

Bit more invention required i think

TommyK said:
It a far cry from the O'Neil days!

They must have practiced the floated near post corner on the training ground - because thats all they ever did on saturday. but i just can't see it working. McCarthy had two defenders on him every time, and he's no Elliot in the air.

We haven't got a great deal of height in the side, so how about getting the ball to the edge of the box for a shot rather, or whipping the ball in as suggested above!

Bit more invention required i think

What are you trying to say about McCarthy there? :icon_cry:

True that he usually has two defenders on him but I think he will manage to score eventually, particularly if at least another player nearby looked menacing enough...

There is a reason why visiting teams feel the need to have two men on him. They wouldnt do it for no reason.

cisono said:
What are you trying to say about McCarthy there? :icon_cry:

True that he usually has two defenders on him but I think he will manage to score eventually, particularly if at least another player nearby looked menacing enough...

Thats he's not as good in the air as Elliot was. Which i think is fair .

I'm not bad-mouthing McCarthy - i think he's going to be a great defender. But although he's a big lad, he's not a man-mountain like Elliot or Target! And anyones going to struggle with two men marking them. Plus, i'm pretty sure he wouldn't have two men marking him if he wasn't on the front post.

Our set pieces haven't been much good since Garry Parker and Steve Guppy were taking free kicks and corners! That was a while back so this is nothing new!

Jedi said:
Our set pieces haven't been much good since Garry Parker and Steve Guppy were taking free kicks and corners! That was a while back so this is nothing new!

a-hem - remember a certain Muzzy Izzet? TSK!

Feel free to shoot me down for this, but Ian Harte is looking for a return to English football and he is one of the best free kick/set piece men out there!! We could do a lot worse then trying to sign him up.

What do we think?

SilverFox said:
Feel free to shoot me down for this, but Ian Harte is looking for a return to English football and he is one of the best free kick/set piece men out there!! We could do a lot worse then trying to sign him up.

What do we think?

It's a good call IMO Silver.

I just think that in this league set pieces are essential! Would be a good signing IMO, but how do you bring it to the clubs attention.

Chipping the ball in doesnt allow the defenders to get a very powerful header away, unlike a ball drilled in. The tactic could be to play for the 2nd ball and not the initial header given that we have MDV and Connolly up front.

If thats the tactic blame CL not the player

TommyK said:
mmmm. not sure.

From TeamTalk

'RECORD

Former Leeds full-back Ian Harte has pleaded with Celtic to sign him from Levante'

His free kicks and set pieces are still very good! And when hes turned out for Ireland hes always looked good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566