Sheff Yoo match thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remeber making a massive treck down to London to see us play Arsenal on boxing day back when PT was in charge, Flowers made a few mistakes and we ended up losing 6-1?? I was only young, that was also the agme when PT thought it would be a good idea to put Mat Jones in Central Defnese!

On the Flowers point, I think he was an excelent keeper, do you not remeber when PT was in charge of England for that one match, his form was supurb before that! Only sorry that PT didn't have the guts to pick one of his own players!

I also remeber him making some owrld class saves on the road to the worthington cup 2000

Fox Fan said:
I remeber making a massive treck down to London to see us play Arsenal on boxing day back when PT was in charge, Flowers made a few mistakes and we ended up losing 6-1?? I was only young, that was also the agme when PT thought it would be a good idea to put Mat Jones in Central Defnese!

On the Flowers point, I think he was an excelent keeper, do you not remeber when PT was in charge of England for that one match, his form was supurb before that! Only sorry that PT didn't have the guts to pick one of his own players!

I also remeber him making some owrld class saves on the road to the worthington cup 2000

My rating of Flowers is based on when we first had him. He was plagued by injuries and I'm sure that affected his performances.

But I think Walker is very over-rated as a keeper. The only reason he got into the England squad this year is because he was the only other English goalkeeper playing regularly in the Premiership.
If he really was as good as some people think he wouldn't still be at Leicester, he'd have left when we got relegated in 2002. We were desperate to sell any player at that time, I'm sure if we'd received an offer he'd have gone.

webmaster said:
silkman said:
Sorry webbo, I agree with 4 of your top 5 (Walker would certainly be in mine) but not Flowers. He had a goodish first season for us but only ever as a shotstopper - IMO he never offered the defence anything outside the 6 yard box. Worse, after about xmas in Taylor's first season, 'til he finished with us, he was complete pants. Can you forget his preformance (along with at least 9 others) against Bolton in the 0-5?

And have you forgotten how bad Walker has been for the last year?

Yes -Walker is a dodgy keeper & the fact that he got picked as third choice for the Euro Cup tells its own story about the state of English goalkeepers - Banks & Shilton were in a totally different class to any of the others mentioned -difficult to separate them - but I'd just give it to Banks on the basis of being ultimately a world cup winner - tells a story that the club could afford to let Banks go because a very young Shilton was in the wings.

By the way, Webmaster, have you revised your view yet that this team is going to find a play off play relatively simple and automatic promotion is a realistic possibility? Sorry about reminding you of that !!

Redditch Fox said:
By the way, Webmaster, have you revised your view yet that this team is going to find a play off play relatively simple and automatic promotion is a realistic possibility? Sorry about reminding you of that !!

When I wrote that around a month ago I did believe it - but at the time I said it was if we played to our potential.

Potentially we could have won the last four games. If we had, we'd be in 6th place now, only 6 points off second place. That shows you just how quickly things can change in this league.

I still believe the players we've got should be good enough to get into the play offs, if they play to their potential. But not if they play the way they have done in the last few games.

webmaster said:
Redditch Fox said:

When I wrote that around a month ago I did believe it - but at the time I said it was if we played to our potential.

Potentially we could have won the last four games. If we had, we'd be in 6th place now, only 6 points off second place. That shows you just how quickly things can change in this league.

I still believe the players we've got should be good enough to get into the play offs, if they play to their potential. But not if they play the way they have done in the last few games.

The alternative view to your's is that Adams brought in a bunch of players who once were 'names' in the game but were now all but finished & this has been confused with 'potential' i.e. the misplaced optimism was that the likes of Dublin & co would suddenly perform again.

The reality is that this side has not beaten a half decent side -except Sheff Unt (home ) all season, is impossible to motivate and is full of players who could not conceivably compete at a higher level.

The way forward - as I said when Adams was still around - is to survive this season - have one huge clear out and start all over again. This will be hard and will need patience - but surely no one believes anymore in the sort of quick fixes of bringing in over paid has beens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566